Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stojamow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
London
Because of the upgrade they provided to us I am not going to switch. I need my laptop now - not next year

= I just posted my order to Dell (M60 Notebook)

It is very impressive piece of technology

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2003/09_sep/reviews/cw_dellm60.htm

and please note that the MAC has a G4 1.25ghzDUAL prosessor and it is still left heavily behind

I feel a bit sorry because I like the design but I cannot do compromises with the performance.

:(

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Bye and good luck with the Dell. I don't know what you are talking about as far as the Dual 1.25 G4 is concerned that is a tower. If you are trying to say that your Dell laptop will have a 1.25Ghz Dual G4 tower for lunch, then I think you are kidding yourself. They can show every benchmark they want, but everything I have seen lately coming out of the G5 benchmarks that include G4 counterparts, the Duals always have singles for lunch, especially the more apps. you open and run at the same time. The new Powerbooks will be very nice laptops. Well have fun with your plastic Dell with Windoze.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
After Effects IS SLOW on the mac...there's just no question about it. i've worked with it a little on both windows and mac os x, and the windows machine crushed the mac. that's just life...and they are only computers...

i really get annoyed of people who have to tell everyone that they will not switch because apple just "did not perform"...eg did not release an incredibly amazing 10 years ahead of it's time machine.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
After Effects IS SLOW on the mac...there's just no question about it.

On Dual machines, you can pull a little trick with After Effects and the After Effects Render engine... for a serious performance (2x) speed increase.. ;)

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I think these new PowerBooks are sweet! If he seriously rather have a Dell running XP, than any of these PowerBooks, then he wasn't seriously that into switching in the first place. Man, if my dad made me get a Dell, even if it were a 3 GHz top of the line everything, I'd still feel like dropping it over the bridge and going back to my 400 MHz G3. Being a Mac user is just so much nicer of an experience. I get more done, I enjoy the time I am using it, and it just works the exact way I want it to.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by irmongoose
I'm sorry, I have to interrupt. It's a Mac, short for Macintosh. The Mac, or a Mac. It doesn't stand for anything, and therefore should not be all capitalized as MAC.

Sorry, it's a little pet peeve of mine...

irmongoose

WTF are you talking about? Johnnowak as exactly saying that. Please read his post before you quote and correct him. Stojamow was the one who made the mistake.

KBFinFan

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2003
Connecticut, USA
For every one nay-sayer there is at least one person like me.. happy with the updates and eager to switch to the finest computing platform.

He's just jealous..;)

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I saw the Dell he was talking about and it is alot faster than the new PowerBooks (1.25 and 1.33Ghz), but it also costs $4500 for the high end version. Although if you want to play games, the Powerbooks are actually faster because they have better V card.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Funny how whenever Apple updates its product line you get a lot of trolls coming out of the woodwork saying "not good/fast enough, I'm getting a Dell". It happens every time and it's never longtime Mac users jumping ship--always newbies with 1-2 posts. We get 2-4 hours to enjoy the thought of the new product before the troll patrol comes along.

We all know this, but the troll patrol is painfully ignorant anyway. Let me check my laptop again for those 1.25 processors.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
My work could pay me to use XP, I guess (thankfully they're sticking to 2K) but there's no way I'd run it at home. I've done enough futzing with my housemate's Dell to know that all the things that annoyed me about Windows from 95 on up are even more apparent in XP.

Really, I don't care what the specs on Wintels are anymore, or what the Macs look like. I'd just rather be running OS X than any version of Windows, and I'd rather run any other version of Windows than XP.....well, except maybe Windows ME. :D

johnnowak

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2003
New York, New York
Originally posted by irmongoose
I'm sorry, I have to interrupt. It's a Mac, short for Macintosh. The Mac, or a Mac. It doesn't stand for anything, and therefore should not be all capitalized as MAC.

Sorry, it's a little pet peeve of mine...

irmongoose

Lord almighty.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Re: THANKS APPLE - I am done here....

Originally posted by Stojamow
Because of the upgrade they provided to us I am not going to switch. I need my laptop now - not next year

= I just posted my order to Dell (M60 Notebook)

It is very impressive piece of technology

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2003/09_sep/reviews/cw_dellm60.htm

and please note that the MAC has a G4 1.25ghzDUAL prosessor and it is still left heavily behind

I feel a bit sorry because I like the design but I cannot do compromises with the performance.

:(

i can't help but respond to this non-sense... if what you got is better than dual g4 1.25, then you weren't obviously waiting for a PB upgrade... did you really expect a PB upgrade that's faster than dual g4 1.25??

troll...

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Yes, classic troll

Question though: What the Hell does he need performance for? We're at a point where it's not really mattering anymore - even for games (well at this detail level).

If performance is really that big a need, a laptop is not the best choice.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Read the article--the laptop was almost $5,000, and its specs werent much better than the new PowerBooks (if they even were, but Im too lazy to check).

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-Yes, classic troll

Question though: What the Hell does he need performance for? We're at a point where it's not really mattering anymore - even for games (well at this detail level).

If performance is really that big a need, a laptop is not the best choice.

I'm sorry, but this simply doesn't make any sense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.