Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
Originally posted by agreenster
Read the article--the laptop was almost $5,000, and its specs werent much better than the new PowerBooks (if they even were, but Im too lazy to check).

128MB NVIDIA Quadro FX Go700 graphics accelerator !

The Dell D50/D60 is one of the few 'serious' mobile 3D workstations out there. Quadro's are supposedly the best cards for 3D apps (speed AND stability), especially due to drivers that have been optimized for specific programs. They are not aimed at gaming, but they probably still kick any graphic card currently available for the Mac.

It is expensive, but I guess it must be worth it to some graphic pros on the go.

(not me)
;)

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I don't agree that its time to abandon the mac or anything like that but I do agree these are lackluster updates at best considering the timeframe. I already own a powerbook but its still nice to seem them progress and tempt me at a quick pace. Ok, we all know the 15" powerbook is approaching a year since it was upgraded (10months i think) and .25 ghz gain over ten months is not really impressive....I like the new feature sets and the new bluetooth acceosries but the pb updates did not impress me. If they were at WWDC or JulyExpo, they would have been much better, in terms of timeline. My only silver lining is that these are more of a pacifier like the dual 1.42 pmac

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by etoiles
128MB NVIDIA Quadro FX Go700 graphics accelerator !

The Dell D50/D60 is one of the few 'serious' mobile 3D workstations out there. Quadro's are supposedly the best cards for 3D apps (speed AND stability), especially due to drivers that have been optimized for specific programs. They are not aimed at gaming, but they probably still kick any graphic card currently available for the Mac.

It is expensive, but I guess it must be worth it to some graphic pros on the go.

(not me)
;)

-etoiles

Yes, that's the killer card that we Mac 3D creators have been waiting for. But (to FlamDrag as well) just don't understand why it's in a laptop. If one is rendering a project that requires such a card, one will usually be plugged in to a farm and immobile while rendering anyway - thus defeating the point of a laptop.

Sure, create your models and scene on a laptop - that makes sense, the offload it to a desktop farm master, get it going, and take you laptop to lunch.

Clearly there is an apparent market need for such a machine, but I, for one, haven't seen it.

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-etoiles

Yes, that's the killer card that we Mac 3D creators have been waiting for. But (to FlamDrag as well) just don't understand why it's in a laptop. If one is rendering a project that requires such a card, one will usually be plugged in to a farm and immobile while rendering anyway - thus defeating the point of a laptop.

Sure, create your models and scene on a laptop - that makes sense, the offload it to a desktop farm master, get it going, and take you laptop to lunch.

Clearly there is an apparent market need for such a machine, but I, for one, haven't seen it.

Need:
Architects on-site.

Designers (especially modeling) for industrial design for client needs.

Studio to studio portability (just going from around Los Angeles' studios to going to ILM or overseas production units and back for a single production you'd need that kind of power in a portable.)

The question is never "why do you need that kind of power?" but "when will you need that kind of mobile power?" because eventually that too will be the norm. (and you also have to be careful to not become part of the urban legend around Bill Gates and his infamous statement about RAM needs :) )

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by legion
Need:
Architects on-site.

Designers (especially modeling) for industrial design for client needs.

Studio to studio portability (just going from around Los Angeles' studios to going to ILM or overseas production units and back for a single production you'd need that kind of power in a portable.)

The question is never "why do you need that kind of power?" but "when will you need that kind of mobile power?" because eventually that too will be the norm. (and you also have to be careful to not become part of the urban legend around Bill Gates and his infamous statement about RAM needs :) )

-legion

Very good, valid, points. And true, it's difficult to walk that line between luddism and overkill. I have to question his motives for such a machine however, I feel our hosting troll was in the camp of the latter - otherwise, I don't believe he'd be swinging such a verbal bigger-D**k stick around here.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Originally posted by irmongoose
I'm sorry, I have to interrupt. It's a Mac, short for Macintosh. The Mac, or a Mac. It doesn't stand for anything, and therefore should not be all capitalized as MAC.

Sorry, it's a little pet peeve of mine...

irmongoose

Isn't MAC a cosmetic line? :eek:

~e

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Well I am quite happy with Apple. Today I just ordered myself a brand spanking new 15" PowerBook! It is:

15.2" Aluminum PowerBook G4
1.25 GHz w/512k L2 cache
512 meg RAM 1 module version (for future Crucial upgrade)
80 gig HD@5400 RPM!
all the usual stuff kept stock
.Mac promotion at $69

Grand total of $2700! My God, this beast is a lot cheaper than my PowerBook G3 was when I bought it in 1999! I'm so excited! So I will be saying "thanks, Apple" too, but only in the best way possible.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2003
I've had 2 Compaq notebooks, 2 thinkpads and 1 Dell Notebook. Just got my Powerbook in July and I'm so happy I'm giddy over it. Speedy, responsive, efficient, loads of fun to use, loads of software. I do use VPC 6.1 w Win 2000 for one program only, but will NEVER go back to PC's again. NEVER!!! You couldn't pry this little machine from my hands!!! But good luck with the Dell.

Frank

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
"pocket rocket" my ass. Dell doesn't make pocket rockets. that thing is massive. i'd rather carry a G4 powermac MDD around.

those benchmarks aren't comprehensive in the least. plus he spec'd the M60 out with 2 GB of RAM. why not give the g4 and the other two the same? this is pretty crappy reviewing.

markiv810

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2002
India
Where is that switcher who started the thread. It's about time PC users stopped posting on mac forums, inferiority complex is a real drag.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
hey Stojamow, have you tried out a new PowerBook in a store yet? the 7457 were said to have up to a 40% performance increase over the old 7455.

i don't know how you could saw something's no good without even using it yet...:rolleyes:

Kiwi-Todd

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
Dunedin, NZ
Re: THANKS APPLE - I am done here....

Originally posted by Stojamow
Because of the upgrade they provided to us I am not going to switch. I need my laptop now - not next year

= I just posted my order to Dell (M60 Notebook)

:(

Well bye bye.... I am a full time video pro and I measure performance and speed over the course of a day not in sporadic spurts.

What does this mean? -

I will usually go for up to three days of editing on my 17"PB and FCP without ever needing to close even the program.

I literally pulled my PB out of the box, installed FCP and was capturing in less than one hour.

I can truly multitask - run my business while editing, rendering or encoding.

I know there are faster PCs out there but I just don't care a hoot as every pro-sumer Wintel box I have edited on has been a nightmare to use!

Good luck to you in Dell Hell - keep us posted!!

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I'm forced to use a WinXP Multi-GHz P4 at work, and I gotta tell you... it ain't that fast.

The 12" G4 is looking really good to me, at edu. discount.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Hey, if it fits your need, it fits your needs. No reason to go bashing or unsulting anybody on either side. The Dell really is an impressive machine, but I prefer OSX, Final Cut, and the low weight/thickness of the PowerBook. Good luck with the Dell!

fred_garvin

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
Originally posted by eclipse525
Isn't MAC a cosmetic line? :eek:

~e

Was at the Glendale, CA Apple store, and directly across the hallway in the mall was a M.A.C. cosmetic store. I wonder if they planned that somehow?

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
... Ok, we all know the 15" powerbook is approaching a year since it was upgraded (10months i think) and .25 ghz gain over ten months is not really impressive....I like the new feature sets and the new bluetooth acceosries but the pb updates did not impress me. If they were at WWDC or JulyExpo, they would have been much better, in terms of timeline. My only silver lining is that these are more of a pacifier like the dual 1.42 pmac

Well, updating it to AirPort Extreme and Ultra ATA/100 are significant, as well as the DDR RAM and the increase in the max RAM. I think overall there are many new features that justify the wait. Also, I don't believe that churning out two G5 products in this close of a span was really all that possible. Getting the G5 out the QA door was impressive enough, especially since Apple and AMD are the only players in the 64-bit desktop market. Even still, Apple was the first there, and AMD is soon to follow on its heels.

I guess this goes back the Mhz (now Ghz?) myth. We can't just look at the processor and say "That's not that big of a gain in performance." I would really like to see a performance test against the now "old" PB 15" 1Ghz and the "new" PG 15" 1Ghz just to see how the other features help out. This would eliminate the processor at least.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I am willing to stake a bet that the new one will edge the old one pretty easily. Everyone says the L3 in the old one makes it better, but since the new G4 has quite a few internal tweaks, double the higher speed L2 cache, faster HD, and a much faster video card, it should definitely give some good speed increases. I ordered the 1.25 GHz with the 5400 RPM HD, so I am hoping for a little more being squeezed from that, too. Factor in FW 800, USB 2.0, APE, built in BT, a Superdrive twice as fast, and you have a pretty nifty overall jump in specs all down the entire feature list. I know I'm happy, this is definitely a jump up from my G3.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Originally posted by fred_garvin
Was at the Glendale, CA Apple store, and directly across the hallway in the mall was a M.A.C. cosmetic store. I wonder if they planned that somehow?

Hmmm...Interesting. Very cleaver. They should a promo together. Like they did with VW. Except you can do it like a George Michael video(freedom) HOT supermodels. Whether it makes sense or not, it'll be great eye candy. ;)

~e

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
The Apple Store at the mall near my house is in a prime location. It's facing you as you walk into the entrance past Ruby Tuesdays. It's got it's own big area with lots of space around it to give a very nice perception of clean, free standing eloquence. Not only, that, but the kid's play area is just down stairs from it so the kids can easily play while the parents can play in the store :D

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
we'll see how much "performance" he gets out of that machine when he's restarting it every hour.

even if those benchmark results are true, your running it on a system that's most popular keyboard shortcut is "ctrl + alt + del"

not to mention that the computer comes from a company that has "award winning technical support"

has anyone heard Apple brag about how good its tech support is? No.
Why? because no one ever needs to call it, our computers just work.

- all you people out there who are satisfied with the apple updates, and HAVE decided to switch, welcome to ourside; you can finally start trusting your computer-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.