Thanks for the help everyone, I took the plunge!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 840quadra, Apr 1, 2005.

1. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Just finished my order with apple online!

Power Mac G5 DUAL 2GHz/ 512MB/ 160GB/ SuperDrive/ PCI-X/ GeFr5200/ GigE/ 56K -

I know it isn't special, and isn't the fastest available, but going from a B&W upgraded to a G4 450 to the new G5 sounds like it will be plenty shocking to me . Now I just need to sell my 75% complete Digital audio Project, when I have time! :) .

Thanks everyone that offered advise via PM, or otherwise!! I am impressed with this sice, and i hope I can return the favor by helping others. I have had MACs for years, just not any of this new stuff ;)

2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

3. Icespiker macrumors newbie

Congrats!

Have fun with the new machine.

So, what is this digital audio project you speak of?

4. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

5. Eastend macrumors 6502

Congratulations, new toys are fun. Good Luck with your project.

Brian

6. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's an awesome setup. It'll absolutely fly with a little more RAM though. Something to save for?

8. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

The Digital Audio project was an attempt to build a G4, and learn more about Apple hardware. I learned allot, but haven't quite completed it..

It started off with a new (never used was an apple spare part) full quicksilver case minus power supply, then I bought an apple spare Digital Audio motherboard (same bus speed and port configuration as Quicksilver Mainboard). I then bought a Digital audio power supply, and lastly a Dual 533 processor (still in shipping).

All I need to buy for it now is Memory, and a video card. I plan on finishing the build, and see if someone local wants to buy it. I am going to throw 512 memory into it, and see if I can pick up a second hand AGP video card. The box won't be too terrably fast, but it should power along just fine.