Thanks for the memories

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by evolu, Feb 11, 2004.

1. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Well, why not? We trained Osama Bin Laden, too--funny how our foreign policy so often comes back to bite us where the sun don't shine.

I figured when the administration started saying that they KNEW Iraq had WMD it was because the UN hadn't accounted for all the ones we sold 'em.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think this has been posted already. Plus this should have gone in Politics.

3. evolu thread starter macrumors regular

apologies - i don't think i perused the different forums thoroughly enough...

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

negrodamis, from the Chapelle show, when asked why Bush is so sure Iraq has WMDs: "Because he has the receipt".

of course these weapons had a shelf life, which is long past. it's why they haven't been viable for over a decade. it's also why all of Saddam's military equipment is marked in english.

paul

5. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Its an entertaining slide show, but I'd much prefer actually verified facts from sources. While I'm sure alot of that is true, there is probably more to the story than appears. I mean it could all be exactly as they say it, but I'd take it with a grain of salt until given better sources. Then again I guess we can't expect too much truth out of the Bush administration anyway...

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thank you for the link. Is there a good application that allows for capture of sites like this to our own HD's?

Others have stated what most of us have already known. We create our own enemies. 500+ US deaths and 1,000's of innocent Iraqi deaths later our administration is still trying to circle the wagons. This after one of the "favorite' corporations (Haliburton) has been shown to over bill the government.

$100+ billion dollars later the administration is saying that we can se 2+ million jobs by the end of the year. With the administrations push to eliminate overtime, how many of these jobs will be at a living wage? Or will they be 2+ million jobs for people coming over our porous borders. Borders that allow terrorists that are real threats to the US security safe haven?

Sorry for the very clear political tones, but the emperor has no clothes. Regardless of your party vote for someone different. No matter what the party. It is time for us to hold accountable the party in office for what has been done in the past. Easy to chase a blowjob, harder to chase after money that corporations make off of our mistakes!

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I agree.. but given the detail I would assume that they did their homework. Without documentation it would be too easy to pass this off as "leftist" propaganda".

To paraphrase a Republican Convention years ago, "the left has left America"; maybe the Right has forgotten what is right for America.

Remember both sides of the coin have supported the likes Saddam. Like someone already pointed out we supported Bin Laden. If memory serves me well we supported Noriega.

I personally would have more respect for the Administration if they would admit that previous Administrations had supported Saddam. Did none of the parties learn lessons from Watergate?

Is there a logical reason to wait AFTER the elections for the report on the WMD in Iraq other than political?

Given that most of us are Mac users (or sympathizers), did we not get the message in 19985, that we should not follow as lemmings?

Do the research! Make up your own mind!. I for myself can see where each candidate has his own value.

For me tax cuts and increased spending means disaster.

Also for or me the deaths of US military for questionable objectives is more open. I need to know more as to whether this was an honest assessment of the threat, or was a motive to flex military muscle of the US and to gain funds for the Military-Industrial Complex.

8. evolu thread starter macrumors regular

If my memory serves me correct - noriega was a graduate of the School of the Americas.

9. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Heh 19985...Traveling from the future? ;-)

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A nice slide show history of Saddam Hussein. The shock for me is that his B-day is one day after mine.

11. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

There are a number of inaccuracies, but that's to be expected. Any person with an agenda will play with the facts.

One thing someone earlier posted though is not true. We didn't train Osama bin Laden. He was a member of the Mujahedeen during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan and yes we did fund the Mujahedeen, but Osama was not a leader within the group. There's a lot of information that states that he wasn't even a member connected with the combat arm of the Mujahedeen, he was a back lines type of guy. It's a bit unfair to say that Osama was a CIA stooge, because that's clearly not the case.

12. evolu thread starter macrumors regular

Just curious Juventuz - can you clarify the innaccuracies for us please?

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Maybe you can set us straight on the US involvement in in Afghanistan. It is my understanding that the US gave weapons to the insurgents In turn these same weapons can be used against us now.

Many seem to forget that the US showed the Japanese how an attack on Pearl Harbor would work.

14. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

We provided intelligence, training and weapons (most noteably the Stinger missle system) to the Mujahedeen.

Very few of the weapons used in Arghanistan are American made, the assault rifles are all AK-47's which can be purchased from many different countries. All of the armor that was used were Russian made tanks. We have yet to have a Stinger missled used against us in Afghanistan mainly becuase after all the years they won't work and they don't have any missles to use if it does work. We stopped funding the Mujahedeen when the Soviets left, late 80's.

Some goes for Iraq. Their armor divisions were ALL Soviet made, their air force was primarily soviet but did have some French planes. The assault weapons were Soviet as well. Radar systems, etc were Russian or European. The US never sold tanks, gun, artillery etc. We sold them the tools to make chemical weapons.

I've never heard that one before, where'd you hear that?

15. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

They make it sounds as if Saddam was the leader of the coup's in 1959 and 1963, when he wasn't. He was just a bit player looking to make a name for himself.

The chemical weapons listed are somewhat innacurate. Yes we did give them the materials to make chemical weapons, but not all the ones they claim. They forget that France and Britain sold them more then we did.

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I believe it was History Channel show.

We held a military exercise that in the spirit of open relationship of the time that we allowed the Japanese to view as observers.

17. evolu thread starter macrumors regular

your argument doesn't change the overall effect of the flash movie for me. they are giving me specific names of chemical weapons, and you are dismissing that with generalities.

This video is not the first I've heard about our invlovement in the propping up of regimes when it works in our specific favor, then turning around and claiming they are catagorically evil for "gassing their own people" when we GAVE THEM THE COORDINATES of the troops they gassed!!! Not acknowledging our accountability makes our government's sweeping generalizations feel like propaganda.

Did you see Donald Rumsfeld shaking Saddam's hand?

We use other countries like pawns because we are powerful. People have become less valuable than markets. Influence more important than truth.

All that sucks.

America's craftiness when it comes to Saddam is just one of many examples of how we are as crafty as those we accuse.