thanks for the new job!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nadyne, Sep 29, 2005.

1. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2004
    Mountain View, CA USA
    I created a profile back here awhile ago. In it, I put my location and my professional interests. Earlier this month, a recruiter stumbled across my profile, and IMed me to ask me if I was looking for a job. I hadn't even been considering leaving my then-employer, but I figured that I didn't have anything to lose by updating my resume and sending it to him. Two days later, I had a phone interview. A week later, I was on a plane to do an in-person interview. Immediately after the all-day in-person interview, I had a verbal offer.

This is one of the coolest things to happen for me. My career at my prevoius employer has been slowing down. I had decided to stay through the next major release, which also happens to coincide with my fifth anniversary with the company. But this fell into my lap, and I'm so pleased about it. I get to do work in a Mac development group, I get a nice salary bump and signing bonus, and I get a job that sounds fantastic with a group of really energetic and dedicated people.

To the fine folks at the MacRumors forums: thanks for the new job! :)

2. stonyc macrumors 65816

Feb 15, 2005
    Wow. Congratulations, and good luck... that sounds awesome! :)
  3. fayans macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2005
    MacRumors: Forums
    Wish you luck in your new job. I am impressed such thing do happen here in MR.
  4. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

Aug 7, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    That is awesome news! Hope everything works out great...sounds like it will! :)
  5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    congrats - but I'm curious where you put your profile and how they found it.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I wish you al the best in your new job nadyne. It sounds like an awesome dream job with Mac development. Are you going to be under an NDA? ;)
  7. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I'm sure it was just another one of those recruiters who open up every MR profile and read the professional interests that are listed there. ;)

Either he started with incremental user ids and only had to make it up to number 28500, or he went by average posts per day to find people who work so hard they can't post, in which case 2 posts in almost 2 years was probably near the beginning of his search.
  8. nadyne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2004
    Mountain View, CA USA
    I didn't question them that closely. The recruiter told me when he IMed me that he found my profile on the MacRumors forums, and there's enough information in my profile here that a recruiter would be interested (that is, my current job title and my current location). As you can see from the 'Newbie' by my name, I don't post here that often, so I don't claim to know the ins and outs of how your forums work.

I didn't have a resume up on Monster or anything like that (as I said, I wasn't looking), and I don't know anyone who works in this organisation, so I believed him. How he searched the profiles here is beyond me. If he really had to do a lot of work, then he must be Super Recruiter (or perhaps just Super-Desperate Recruiter, but I'd rather not think that way). ;)

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Congratulations nadyne, that's a very cool thing to happen. I hope it all goes well and your new employers are nice enough to let you keep posting here every now and then. :p

How embarrassing. :eek:

I doubt anyone will be offering me a job anytime soon... I didn't realise people read those things.
  10. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2005
    That is so cool. This new job had fell right into your lap. Congrats. There is nothing better than a job that your enjoying doing.
  11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Moral of the story?

That's all for today, students...

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    That is wild. I've never heard of such a thing happening, much less to a relative newbie.

I suppose it's possible the person came to MacRumors and you via Google. If you Google my screen name, for example, you'll get the "legit" returns -- references to the main character in the TV series Nowhere Man -- but you'll also come across one or two links to my own posts at MacRumors or MacAddict. So similarly, they may've Googled for certain characteristics or other keywords, and your MacRumors profile came up.

Whatever way it happened, congratulations. That's a terrific piece of good fortune! :)