Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
I created a profile back here awhile ago. In it, I put my location and my professional interests. Earlier this month, a recruiter stumbled across my profile, and IMed me to ask me if I was looking for a job. I hadn't even been considering leaving my then-employer, but I figured that I didn't have anything to lose by updating my resume and sending it to him. Two days later, I had a phone interview. A week later, I was on a plane to do an in-person interview. Immediately after the all-day in-person interview, I had a verbal offer.

This is one of the coolest things to happen for me. My career at my prevoius employer has been slowing down. I had decided to stay through the next major release, which also happens to coincide with my fifth anniversary with the company. But this fell into my lap, and I'm so pleased about it. I get to do work in a Mac development group, I get a nice salary bump and signing bonus, and I get a job that sounds fantastic with a group of really energetic and dedicated people.

To the fine folks at the MacRumors forums: thanks for the new job! :)

/nm

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
nadyne said:
I created a profile back here awhile ago. In it, I put my location and my professional interests. Earlier this month, a recruiter stumbled across my profile, and IMed me to ask me if I was looking for a job. I hadn't even been considering leaving my then-employer, but I figured that I didn't have anything to lose by updating my resume and sending it to him. Two days later, I had a phone interview. A week later, I was on a plane to do an in-person interview. Immediately after the all-day in-person interview, I had a verbal offer.

This is one of the coolest things to happen for me. My career at my prevoius employer has been slowing down. I had decided to stay through the next major release, which also happens to coincide with my fifth anniversary with the company. But this fell into my lap, and I'm so pleased about it. I get to do work in a Mac development group, I get a nice salary bump and signing bonus, and I get a job that sounds fantastic with a group of really energetic and dedicated people.

To the fine folks at the MacRumors forums: thanks for the new job! :)

/nm
Wow. Congratulations, and good luck... that sounds awesome! :)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I wish you al the best in your new job nadyne. It sounds like an awesome dream job with Mac development. Are you going to be under an NDA? ;)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Mr. Anderson said:
congrats - but I'm curious where you put your profile and how they found it.

D
I'm sure it was just another one of those recruiters who open up every MR profile and read the professional interests that are listed there. ;)

Either he started with incremental user ids and only had to make it up to number 28500, or he went by average posts per day to find people who work so hard they can't post, in which case 2 posts in almost 2 years was probably near the beginning of his search.

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
Mr. Anderson said:
congrats - but I'm curious where you put your profile and how they found it.

I didn't question them that closely. The recruiter told me when he IMed me that he found my profile on the MacRumors forums, and there's enough information in my profile here that a recruiter would be interested (that is, my current job title and my current location). As you can see from the 'Newbie' by my name, I don't post here that often, so I don't claim to know the ins and outs of how your forums work.

I didn't have a resume up on Monster or anything like that (as I said, I wasn't looking), and I don't know anyone who works in this organisation, so I believed him. How he searched the profiles here is beyond me. If he really had to do a lot of work, then he must be Super Recruiter (or perhaps just Super-Desperate Recruiter, but I'd rather not think that way). ;)

/nm

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Congratulations nadyne, that's a very cool thing to happen. I hope it all goes well and your new employers are nice enough to let you keep posting here every now and then. :p

jsw said:
I'm sure it was just another one of those recruiters who open up every MR profile and read the professional interests that are listed there.

How embarrassing. :eek:

I doubt anyone will be offering me a job anytime soon... I didn't realise people read those things.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
That is so cool. This new job had fell right into your lap. Congrats. There is nothing better than a job that your enjoying doing.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
That is wild. I've never heard of such a thing happening, much less to a relative newbie.

I suppose it's possible the person came to MacRumors and you via Google. If you Google my screen name, for example, you'll get the "legit" returns -- references to the main character in the TV series Nowhere Man -- but you'll also come across one or two links to my own posts at MacRumors or MacAddict. So similarly, they may've Googled for certain characteristics or other keywords, and your MacRumors profile came up.

Whatever way it happened, congratulations. That's a terrific piece of good fortune! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.