Thanksgiving special

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chepistolas, Nov 5, 2006.

1. chepistolas macrumors member

chepistolas

I want to buy a Macbook Pro with an educational discount. But I was wondering if I should wait till black friday to see if there is going to be a discount that I can use WITH my EDU discount. Does anyone know if there is going to be such a discount, and if there is, does anyone know if they were able to combine the two discounts together?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I doubt the MBP will see a discount...in the past it's only been on consumer-level machines.

And you can't combine it with the EDU discount anyway, so there's no reason to wait!

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Apple doesn't offer "sales" like most retailers. The student discount is about as good as it gets.

Alternatively, you could join ADC as a student developer. It's $99 for the membership, but you get a once in a lifetime hardware discount. I got the 2.16 MBP for $1599, which beats the edu discount, even including the $99 membership fee.

You also get a copy of Tiger with your membership, and when Leopard becomes available, you'll get a copy of that, too, as part of your $99.. so if you were ever planning on upgrading, it really pays for itself.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Except on Thanksgiving Day in the US when it does a sale. Has done the last two years so I'd presume it'll keep going.

I don't know what the discount is because I don't live in the US but it's been pretty good on some of the big-ticket items in the past.

One day only.

We get something similar every Valentine's Day and maybe Boxing Day I can't remember.

5. chepistolas thread starter macrumors member

chepistolas

So you got the 2.16 for $1600 with the 2GB of RAM or without? If I calculate it right that is $400 off ANY computer? Thats not a bad deal, its $100 more than the EDU.

6. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Isnt there special requirements that u have to have to get the developers discount? Like develop something? Otherwise, why wouldnt everyone just sign up and get macs cheaper?

7. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Be sure that when you buy with ADC discount don't buy AppleCare, buy that with EDU discount, it is cheaper.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

ADC gives you 20% of the base price of the pro-level machines.

No, you don't have to be an active developer. As long as you're a student (full or part time), you can sign up...you need to send them a copy of your student ID and your current class schedule...doesn't matter what you're studying.

It may not be worth it for people who want to buy entry-level machines like a mini or a MacBook, but you should get a copy of Leopard when it comes out, so that almost makes it worth it right there.

Also keep in mind that the discount is once per lifetime, so make it worth it.

And yes, buy AppleCare through the regular EDU store instead of ADC...it's cheaper.

9. chepistolas thread starter macrumors member

chepistolas

WoW

I can order a 2.16 Macbook Pro 15" with 160GB 2Gigs RAM and get a copy of Leopard for $1800!!! + $99 (for an ADC student).

That is one hell of a deal :eek: \

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

More or less...$1819 plus tax and the $99 annual fee.

11. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

How do u get the ADC discount?

12. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Really? Didn't know about those Thanksgiving sales at all. What kind of discounts has it been in the past? Significant?

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You sign up for it here.

Last year was $101 off of iBooks and iMacs. Also discounts on AirPort Express, iSight, .Mac, and various accessories.

The year before had $101 off of iBooks and various discounts off of iPods, as well as some accessories.

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Ummm.....

15. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

I don't know that I'd use my once in a lifetime discount to get a laptop, pro or not. When the new superfast, ubercool desktop comes out in 2010 or whatever, you might wish you hadn't wasted the discount, since 20% of $5000 is a lot more than 20% of $2000.

16. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That depends on whether you still plan on being a student in 2010.

17. chepistolas thread starter macrumors member

chepistolas

I agree

That is a considerable discount for a big rig machine; however, I promised myself that I will only buy Apple notebooks from now on. I just can't go back to sitting in one spot for hours. I would use up my discount now since I am a poor student. I figure I can make money later on, when I work. :D

18. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I was moreso asking anyone in general, not you. I can read.

Thanks WildCowboy.

19. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I know mate, just stirring the pot.

20. marsh macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, and new to the worlds of Mac's. I am just in the midst of buying my first mac!!!! I was just reading your post and had a couple of questions about the ADC membership. I am a student with NO knowledge on programing or program development but it seems like you get a GREAT deal on system purchases (especially when I'm looking at a MacBook Pro). Just wondering if there are any twists/catches to this membership. Can I just register for a year, buy my MacBook Pro and then have nothing to do with it again???

Also I had read in someones posts that you get a copy of Leopard , but when I was looking at the ADC membership online it says that student membership does not include pre release software.

Here is the quote from the website - maybe I'm just misunderstanding.

"3. Does the ADC Student Membership allow access to pre-release software)? technical support? ADC Compatibility Labs? or the Developer CD Series?
    The ADC Student Membership does NOT include access to the ADC Software Seeding Program (prerelease software), technical support, or access to the ADC Compatibility Labs. It includes a sampling of the Developer CD series in the ADC Student Mailing. If you would like to take advantage of these additional benefits, you may want to consider joining the ADC Select Membership which may better suit your needs. Technical support Incidents are available to purchase for any ADC member: Online (free), Student, Select, or Premier."

Also any other helpful info for a first time Mac Buyer would be great!!!!

Thanks!

21. josta macrumors member

I was wondering the same thing. I am a grad student so I could use the EDU pricing. I also have a friend that works for Apple, and she has offered to use her 15% discount to help me order. Would I be better off applying for the ADC membership even though it costs 100, but I would get 20% off? I guess its also a question of whether or not we get Leopard for free when it comes out. That saves 90$ (EDU pricing I believe) so it might be worth it there. Can't blame a grad student on a tight stipend for trying to find the very best deal :)

22. djkny macrumors 6502

Or whether you're still alive and kicking.

23. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

You won't get Leopard until it's released, so no pre-release of it. And although it's not an advertised perk, the past trend is that developers (including students) get copies of the newest OS after release. You'll get a copy of Tiger (I just joined and got a copy of 10.4.6), and in the spring (or whenever Leopard is released), you'll *most likely* get a copy of that, too.

24. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

In 2004, I bought an Airport Express for $99 - the same price as a refurb. I was happy about that.

I wish there were a Black Friday discount on the MacBook Pro - that would be great! But, I'll probably buy an ADC membership for the discount. I'm not a student, so I'd be getting the $499 version and then getting the 2499 MBP for 1999 with a copy of Leopard next year. And a discount on an iPod.

By the way, does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of iPods you can purchase with your one time ADC purchase? I was able to add multiple iPods to the shopping cart.

25. powerboy macrumors regular

Does anyone know how long it takes to have your student status verified after signing up for ADC? I don't want to be waiting for weeks to get my MBP. Thanks.