Thanksgiving: Thoughts & Traditions

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacDawg, Nov 16, 2004.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Alright, less than 2 weeks till "Thanksgiving" here in the US of A...

• What are you thankful for this year?

• What Thanksgiving traditions do you and your family celebrate?

Those of you across the pond, feel free to join it too!

Note: Lets see how long we can keep this out of the Political Forum by avoiding the obvious Bush/Kerry shots, or debating the history of the first Thanksgiving!

I am thankful for:
    • A job! The airline industry is in trouble and layoffs abound!
    • Two GREAT kids, one graduating with a Master's next year, the other with a Bachelor's
    • Health, no complaints, just getting old

Our traditions (nothing special here):
    • The normal turkey & dressing
    • Time with my wife's family (my parents passed several years ago)
    • Giving my mother in law a hard time about buying things at the store instead of cooking them herself
    • Football

2. diddy macrumors 6502

im thankful for:
    a job
    a house with nice roomates
    an ok semester at school
    a distinct lack of women problems

i mean, what more could a boy want?

as far as traditions, i get to start a new one as this is the first thanksgiving i havent gone home for. my mother said i could use her credit card to buy a cooked turkey and all the trimmings from a grocery store, but i dont think thats gonna happen. instead, i think the plan is:

frozen burritos, wild turkey 101, and lonesome dove. its gonna be great.

3. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I am thankful that we dodged three hurricanes that people only 50 or so miles away were devastated by...

I am thankful to have a great job with great coworkers where I am lucky enough to have/use a DP G5 desktop, a PowerBook G4, and a DP Xserve G5 on a daily basis...

---

Thanksgiving traditions...we usually do Thanksgiving dinner at a family friend's house, but they have other plans this year. This year we're having it at my parents house, and just a few people are coming over. I'm looking forward to having a few days off :) My dad will cook way more food than is necessary, and I'll probably make something for dessert (like usual).

4. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Thankful for :

My beautiful baby girl who will be 18 days old on Thanksgiving Day.

I really like my job which is rare so I'm glad that I still have it.

The fact that my professor is traveling during finals week so my final will be on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and I can relax for the long weekend rather than study.

The fact that my wife, daughter, and I will be heading to Wisconsin for Xmas (we alternate years between Thanksgiving and Xmas)

The growing reality that the next time we go to WI for Xmas I will be done with grad school.

Edit : and of course I'm thankful for my PowerBook.

Traditions:

Don't really have that many. This is only my third Thanksgiving with my in-laws and of course with the new baby everything is going to change.

5. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

WOW, I'm sure there are lots of things associated with the hurricanes that make people's 'thanksgiving lists' this year. Some weren't so lucky.

Glad you made it through unscathed!

6. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Congrats on the new baby girl and on grad school!

I know from experience that both are great feelings!
    My daughter is now 22 and graduating from college in May.

Good luck finishing grad school! Awesome accomplishment.

7. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Thank You. Of course if I hadn't taken the 5 year break between undergrad and grad school I'd be done by now.

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

we've got soem sort of "Erntedank" in october i think but it's not widespread (it's nt a official celebration day neiter from catholic church or austrian gov.)

traditions: none

but we've got the christkindlmarkt and the martinimarkt with lots of
    gluehwein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulled_wine) for compensation ;)

9. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Come on, my family can't be the only ones who overeat and then sit around and fart and gab and fart some more.

I'm thankful that my farts don't stink.

10. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

11. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

Im a Culinary School student.. I HATE this time of the year.. You know what I did today.. I rubbed Salt Pepper Garlic and Paparika on 20 turkeys... I glazed 10 15lb hams and I helped another team of people prepare some bread... Ohh and I made 10 gallons of chicken stock.. not from base (for the gravy) :-/

My point? If you cook, you hate it :p

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter, what an awesome thing to be thankful. What is her name? It's probably best that you aren't traveling till Christmas. Will be safer for you daughter to travel by then. Most of all I imagine that you and your wife are quit tired. So the rest will do you both a tremendous amount of good.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My partner of 12 years and I are thankful for many things this year. Despite a job loss on his part, we had the ability to make things work. He came through an appendicitis surgery OK. We now have to deal with is potential prostates or prostate cancer. His Mom came through a reoccurrence of her cancer so far. And still trying to fight her company on her disability. The three of us are looking towards a home together, to make things easier. My company gave me a good review after 5 years. The raise kept up with the "official" inflation rate. But yet I could have been out of a job.

All the adversary has given us more resolve to stay together despite what some say. We have beat by half our "straight" friends.

We count our blessings that our fiends in the military have not lost their lives in Iraq so far. We also give thanks that we have not seen another attack on US soil, despite misguided policies IOO. Yet we pray for those that have not shared our blessings, so far. We will share the day with a modest meal with my lovers Mom. Just enough food for the three of us.

Any thing extra we will try and share with those that don't have our abundance. Given this past year we may not have much, but we have much more than others.

14. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Thank you. You can see here picture in this thread.

I am sorry that I will not share her name here. I try to keep details about my family off of the net. I post plenty of details about myself but I know that my wife doesn't want any information on her here, and our daughter is not yet old enough to consent to her information being shared.

15. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

hmm...i'm thankful for a reasonable 1st semester of high school, my family all being okay, and, i hate to say it, halo2. as far as traditions, there's the usual turkey, dressing, and pumpkin pie:D, but my dad's tradition is to watch the thanksgiving episode of the bob newhard show:confused:.

16. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I am thankful for the good health of my family and friends.

Thankful for my family and friends!

My 3 daughters and wonderful wife.

Our new house.

And for Faith, Hope, and Grace.