1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

That "1 weird tip" about a slim belly ad is bothering me.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by moonman239, Feb 24, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

Anyone else find it ugly? It's not that I find fat people ugly, I just think the banner ad is ugly. It's kind of bothering me. I don't want to see it on this site ever again. So admins, please tell your ad distributor not to display the ad.

2. macrumors demi-god

GGJstudios

3. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

we'll take care of it.

arn

4. macrumors 604

chrono1081

I see these ads all over the place, and they have the same phrasing:

1. Do X by using this one weird old trick.
    2. One weird old trick to do X
    3. Dermatologists hate her.
    4. Generals* hate him. *I've actually seen these ads with literally every rank in the military.
    5. Trainers hate him.

I see soooo many of those ads that I have them memorized. They always have some stupid picture and stupid phrasing. I usually see them on CNN's site.

Nothing beats the one saying: "Haven't had a DUI in Pennsylvania yet? You're missing out!"

5. macrumors 65816

It just says to post a thread about it. And I think almost everyone knows whsat ad I'm talking about, so no screenshots are necessary.
    Tip for MR: Sell ads yourself. You'll get more money, because 1) you have an idea about what ads your users want to see and 2) you'll get 100% of what the advertisers are paying.
    Funny, I see 1,2,3 and 6 pretty often. You missed one: "Mom Makes $X K Working From Home."

The latter 4 know I'm in N. California. They know because of my IP address. Oh, I hope they'll never know where I live! That's why people should be cautious about letting apps and Webpages access "location services"!

6. macrumors demi-god

GGJstudios

No, it doesn't say to just post a thread.
    Tip for those who complain about ads:

7. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

That's not always true. Many ads are geographically targeted so frequently we don't know what ad people are talking about.

Ok, thanks for the tip. We hadn't considered that before :)

arn