That cracking/popping sound

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by somecows, May 20, 2003.

1. somecows macrumors member

I have a question about the cracking/popping sound people are hearing between tracks on the new ipods.

Do people think this is a problem that will be solved by a firmware update, or is there some possibility that the only way to solve it will involve re-importing CDs?

I guess what I mean is, when a solution is eventually (hopefully) announced, will we be able to apply it to existing MP3s on our ipods, or is there a chance we will have to go back and re-import CDs? If the answer is the latter, then I don't want to spend any more time importing my CD collection, I'd rather wait for the fix and THEN import them.

Thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The noise (on my iPod at least) is pretty faint, but is deffinitly not an import issue. I think a firmware update will probably be able to fix this.

3. leif macrumors newbie

I have this problem with anything I rip in iTunes4 it seems. And I have an old 10GB iPod. And it's all through tracks, not just between them, and it's REALLY irritating. Only happens with the stuff I ripped in iTunes4, the rest of it was ripped in 3 or came from iTMS

4. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I hear the popping ocassionally, but its really not much of a problem. i doubt that it has to do with how they were imported.

5. somecows thread starter macrumors member

In case anyone is interested, I just called mac tech support to ask about the popping sound, and they had no idea what I was talking about. They seemed to think it was a problem with the earphones or the earphone port. Which doesn't make much sense to me, since everyone seems to be having this problem.

Also, they told me that once you put a file on the ipod you can't copy it back onto your computer again!!! Is this true? I had no idea, and excuse my language but that sucks so much. That means if I get a new ipod some day I will have to re-import all my CDs, which seriously might cause me to go insane. I havne't been keeping the MP3s on my computer once I put them on the ipod, because I don't have enough hard disk space left on my computer. Kill me.

Does anyone know of a way to get the files from one ipod onto another?

6. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

hmmm....i havent really tried to put anything back on, because i keep my music on my computer, but I thought that you could copy things back onto your computer. :confused:

7. somecows thread starter macrumors member

I made the same assumption. I thought once I was done importing all my CDs I'd never have to do it again. I will test this out when I get home from work, but I assume the apple care person knows what he is talking about.

If anyone out there knows a way around this, please let me know. I'm not trying to copy or steal music or anything like that, I just really don't want to have to re-import all my CDs someday.

8. cwalton macrumors member

9. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

I've got a new 30GB pod and I got that noise too. but....... I only get it when I rip with my external FW que drive. When I rip with my internal drive .....nothing.... very wierd.
    I got a g4 pci 400 oc too 450.

10. leif macrumors newbie

I tried changing encoding from AAC 128kb to MP3 160kb which is what most of my library is, and the problem persists. I am ripping with the internal CD-ROM on an 12" iBook 600(16MB VRAM). I'm thinking about trying to go back to iTunes 3, cause this is kind of making my iPod useless.

11. somecows thread starter macrumors member

Could you let us know if using itunes 3 instead of 4 helps with the problem? Or what about people who have files on their ipods that they downloaded from the apple store or from somewhere else, as opposed to importing them themselves. Does the pop still appear?

12. leif macrumors newbie

I will post what happens with iTunes 3. As far as tracks from iTMS goes, I have downloaded two, and they play perfectly on the iPod as do all of my other traks ripped in iTunes 3.

13. leif macrumors newbie

Ok, so I deleted iTunes4, and installed 3 from my iPod software CD. After the required reboot my entire library except for my two iTMS tracks and the album I am trying to rip was gone. So I found this AppleScript called iPody and thus far have gotten 925/1200 tracks off my iPod. This also means I haven't yet tried ripping in 3. I will post the results when I do. I would like someone to explain why my library was almost entirely wiped out during this process though.

14. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Your library wasn't wiped, its just that iTunes couldn't find it. You would have to locate the library on your harddrive then manually add the files to your iTunes 3 library (just drag and drop the folder all of your music is contained in to your Library icon on the left side of iTunes). Done.

Unless something really weird happened and the song files themselves were deleted. Then, I'd have no idea.

Taft

15. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I use an iPod with itunes4 and i get a little click sound but its nothing at all.

Anyway with regard to the music, if you manually copying your mp3 folder onto your ipod you can take it back.
    For example i imported all my music with itunes and then i moved my mp3 folder onto the iPod then formatted the mac (for an update) and once that was done i copied my music folder back...its all there and the imported stuff is still on the ipod.

16. somecows thread starter macrumors member

Last night I tried importing a CD as MP3s using itunes 3 in OS 9. Usually I import them as AACs using itunes 4 in OS X. Anyhow, i hear the clicking in both cases.

However, if I make a playlist of songs that I obtained on-line somewhere, I don't think I hear the sound. Or if I do, its really really quiet. So I have no idea what that means.

Also, it occurs to me that I hear the same sound when the ipod is asleep and I press one of the buttons to wake it up.

So this is kind of a mystery, none of the little tests I'm performing are telling me much.

FYI

17. leif macrumors newbie

Initially I thought the same thing, I just needed to add the music to the iTunes 3 playlist and all would be well. Then I noticed that the 5 gigs the music took up was free, and then I looked in the iTunes folder, and it was gone.

18. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i hope this is an iPod issue, 'cos i hate losing play counts from reimporting my stuff. i have noticed this noise on my new 30 GB iPod... i'll check with headphones for the pop from my laptop.

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you don't need to lose play counts if you reimport it and replace the previous files... though with album/band names, and disc x of x and all that, it can get a bit annoying.

20. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

how do you do that? would it allow me to reimport them as AAC and switch out?

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yup. been doing that for a few days now. :)

just pop in the same cd, and import... if you know you have that cd already imported and it doesn't say "do you want to replace existing files?" then check the info for the already imported songs vs the cd.... things that need to be the same:

song name
    band name
    album name
    disc #x of x (this one can be tricky cause it's relatively useless for most things, so it's tough to catch...)

and maybe others. but those are what i've noticed affect it seeing it as a match... also, be careful... occasionally one or two songs on the cd will have a slightly different name, or a typo... and you'll have to kinda weed those out.

22. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

say, thanks.

maybe i can help you with that one there though. what i do is select my entire library and set each value to blank, on the disk #. it's useless info for me, as even my 2 CD sets have (disc 1) or (disc 2) in the album title, and there are so few. then if you just set the value to new on all new (or re) imports, you don't have to check, just have to do it like that.

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah, that's true... BUT... when a cd i'm importing has a value in there, it's a hassle still.

but yeah, i'll probably take your suggestion on the whole

24. leif macrumors newbie

Hey, just thought I'd let everyone know that the problem still exits with 3. I think it's not quite as bad, but still there. Any thoughts on what it could be? I am going to try running a lens cleaner through the iBook, and try a few more CDs to see if it happens with them too, and then I am about out of ideas.

25. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

this totally is the iPod. it does it every time i skip tracks and turn it on. the skips don't happen when i listen on my powerbook. it's very subtly annoying. i dunno if this will get fixed by a firmware update or not... i hope so. but it's definitely my iPod. it does it to every song.