That darn sleep light..

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by coolocity, Aug 22, 2002.

1. coolocity macrumors regular

Alright, I've got a new 17" widescreen iMac running Jag, and I was wondering if there was any way to turn off that damn sleep light. When you're living in a small room shared with someone else (a dorm) it can get quite annoying.

I know I can always just cover it up with tape, but I was wondering if there was an actual way to do it. If theirs not, anyone have any creative ways to take care of it?;)

- John

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

well, i've never heard of anyway to turn it off...

but the possibilities for cover are endless... ;) :D :D

3. clubsport macrumors member

Hey, at least it is a nice light white colour. Here I am stuck with a bright green sleep light with my iBook! That coupled with the amber charging light...

I don't know how I get to sleep, my room is lit up with so many fluro colours! :D :D

4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

it can't be any more annoying than a VCR from the early-mid 1990's that has an lcd backlit clock that is brighter than hell at night...

...at least the sleep light on the imac pulsates right? it gives you something to stare at on sleepless nights instead of counting ogres

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

You count ogres? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I count mongooses! (No, it's not mongeese!)

:p

irmongoose

6. benjaminpg macrumors regular

Covering light

If it really is bothering you, you could get a small piece of electrical tape.(The black tape that's sometimes wrapped around wires.) If you cover the light with it, nearly all of the light should be blocked. I suppose if you're really a perfectionist you could take apart your machine and unwire the light, but this seems like overkill. I guess it's possible it can be set with the open firmware, but i doubt it.

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

I have slept in lots of light environments, from a bright 7 watt nightlight to basically ZERO light, along with my iBook light beaming bright/dim. It shouldn't be that hard to get used to. If you want to, get a cover, as suggested. IF you decide to disable the light internally, kiss your warranty out the window.

But, think of it this way, at least with some light you can see, uh...

>(coolocity)When you're living in a small room shared with someone else (a dorm) it can get quite annoying.

[​IMG]

:eek: :p

8. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I have a sony 17" CTR monitor that will not anoy you like that, do you wanna switch?

9. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

hrm...

you could just dim you moitor copletely (so in effect, its off..)..

this could be an alternative.. your computer literally barely takes up any energy and i will do it a lot of the time when downloading stufferz..

good luck!

-f

10. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

The electrical tape wont work because it would leave a mark on the purdy white case if you left on for a long time. But, i dont have an imac, so could u tell me where the light comes from (back or front)?

11. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

there is a blue tape made by 3m.. (im like totally forgetting the name, but theres like only one blue tape..) its really great cause it doesnt leave any residue..

it is a lot like package tape -- that white stuff that you cant see through with that dotted texture..

i think that just disconnecting it, or doing my previous suggestion (my last post in this thread) is the way to go, though..

-f