That geek mystique

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Jun 25, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Two ?rms ?ght for nerdish label

By Robert Gavin, Globe Staff *|* June 25, 2004

Not so long ago, the name ‘‘geek’’ was one to be avoided. But now the wearers of pocket protectors, ?ood pants, and thick glasses have acquired a certain geek mystique — so cool, in fact, that two companies are battling in federal court over who has the right to be called ‘‘geek.’’

The Geek Squad Inc. of Minneapolis, a unit of retailing giant Best Buy Co., recently ?led suit in US District Court in Boston against Geek Housecalls Inc. of Lexington, charging trademark infringement. Both ?rms provide technical support for home computers. In its complaint, the older Minnesota company claims the Massachusetts company adopted a similar name to capitalize on its established reputation and business.

But Dave Ehlke, the founder of Geek Housecalls with 30 years in the technology, said he and his partner, Andy Trask, adopted the name for two reasons: ‘‘We’re geeks. And we make housecalls.’’

In many ways, the suit is an example of how deeply technology has become ingrained in American culture and how those derided over generations as poindexters, brainiacs, squares, and nerds have become its heroes. Robert Stephens, founder and chief inspector of the Geek Squad — the title ‘‘chief executive,’’ he said, just didn’t ?t — blames society.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/06/25/that_geek_mystique/

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I saw a Geek Squad guy last week, here in Los Angeles. He went by driving a black and white VW beetle. It looked like a police car, with a "Geek Squad" emblem on the side. The license plate frame said had a slogan about fixing computers.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This shouldn't be an issue. The word "Geek" is used widely enough that the Minnesota, Best-Buy related company shouldn't win their case. Imagine if a juice bar called "Juice Boost" or something sued another company called "Juice Masters" because the latter used the word "juice" in their name? Ridiculous. Both juice companies mentioned are made up, but point taken.

4. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

It just seems that litigation is taken too far today. The companies involved aren't in the same city, so no harm is done. Hopefully an intelligent judge will throw the case out. Certain words are just part of our common language.

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The Best Buy-owned service is scheduled to cover Massachusetts (and most of the rest of the US) some time this year, so Geek Housecalls do have a legitimate reason to be concerned about confusion.

6. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I always thought it would be fun if they had a show like Queer Eye but with geeks and they would comeover to some poor bastards house that lives in the commodore 64 days and bring him or her into the 21st century. This no doubt would be a tech tv type show.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Might as well be someone who never used a computer at all. They can show him/her that you press the buttons on the magic key thing, move the magic rodent thing around, and look at the pretty pictures on the magic bright thing.

8. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

What a waste of money. I guess when you factor in the free publicity it may be considered worth it to put out stupid lawsuits to get name recognition.

9. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i saw the Geek Squad Beatle while i was out running around the Akron, OH area yesterday and i had no idea what it was... hahaha.