That sly dog Xbox360

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

2. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

I LOVE firmware updates :p

seriously though, this is great news for those of us already invested in the 360, even if we don't have TVs that support the high resolution, because it shows Microsoft is willing to continue to support existing users and that the system itself is more powerful than the initial software (both OS and games) let us evaluate.

3. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I think it's nice, and though I don't have a 1080p TV myself it's just great that MS feels like updating this sort of thing. It's a great surprise too. I didn't think the 360 could technically output a 1080p signal!

4. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

I don't think it can output 1080p over Component, but it definitely could over VGA. I believe there's a limit to the Component connectors above 1080i

EDIT: well according to the Wikipedia entry, Component can output 1080p, so maybe I'm wrong (assuming Wikipedia is right :rolleyes: )

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep. Sony have also clearly stated that their no HDMI version of the PS3 will still output 1080p over component.

Looks like the Ps3 & Xbox 360 are becoming increasingly similar spec wise :) Which is good for consumers as it offers choice.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Great. I know MS would not let sony bring their monster to the table running 1080 and they are not...up the ante...we all win.

Bless

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

good news for 360 owner .. not that it is coming as a surprise or something

Microsoft really going for taking the sails out of the wind for the ps3

lost odyssey looks pretty damn good too even though from the footage i've seen it's too much fmv for me ... too bad microsoft can't get it out this year ... blue dragon doesn't even come close

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well this is good news, and funny at that. Upscaling of DVDs definitely interests me more then 1080p games, but it's a great tactical move by Microsoft to let people know that "feature" isn't PS3 exclusive.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I know blue dragon is more anime, but I actually like the style. It reminds me of that old 'Mystical Ninja' (Goeman) games on the Snes.

Xbox 360 owners have a lot to look forward too, there's a shed load of stuff coming to them this month on Live too.

So loads of demos and stuff, and FREE XBOX LIVE GOLD until the end of september for those who havent subscribed yet. Great Stuff microsoft.

Sony really have a lot to live up to to make it's live service compare. Let's hope they do because its better for us all as gamers.

10. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

11. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Awesome! I've been looking for a DVD player that can upscale through to HD through component. Though this doesn't say it necessarily will.......since their is no HDMI output on the 360 I assume it will. Now I do not have to spend nearly $200 for that "hard to find" component upscaling DVD player. I cannot wait for this update..........I'm going to be watching lots of DVD's once this happens. :) Anyone find a reference to when this is going to be happening?

I'm no expert on 720p vs 1080i vs 1080p.....but will an upscaling DVD player that can go to 1080p also go to 1080i or 720p (my TV does not do 1080p)?

It stated the HD-DVD add-on is priced for Japan at around $170 US Dollars. I would be fine with that. I was hoping for $150 and dreaming that it would be $100.....but anything under $200 and I will get it.

I'm really starting to like the 360 more and more especially with around 5 games coming out in the next few months that I want. My initial warranty is about to end so I'm going to buy the extended one from Microsoft soon....after that I am going to start buying some XBLA games (just wanted to make sure I didn't have to have my 360 replaced before I bought any).

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Yeah I was thinking of buying the extended warranty too.

13. mkubal macrumors 6502a

I don't see why it wouldn't do 720p/1080i. The firmware update will probably allow you to select "1080p" as your output format in addition to the 720p/1080i it had before.

As per upscaling DVDs: Unless the DVDs you play are shown in a small cutout in the middle of the screen, your DVDs are already being upscaled somewhere along the line. I would imagine that the 360 was already doing the upscaling before assuming you had it set on 720p/1080i. If not, it was being upscaled by your TV to fit the screen.

The only differences when it comes to upscaling is the quality of the upscale. Assuming that the 360 wasn't doing upscaling before, it remains to be seen what the quality of the upscale will be.

I believe, however, that the 360 has always upscaled (unless someone has some other info) and I don't think it's going to get any better than it already is. Although I hope someone proves me wrong because I will, eventually, hopefully, have a working 360, maybe. ;)

14. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

If you *did* have to have ti replaced, the Live Arcade is very specific that you *can* download full versions again, assuming you're logged onto the Xbox with the gamertag you used to purchase.

15. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I have to say, I really like these semi-annual updates that Micrsoft puts out for the XBox 360. To me, it seems like they are really trying to make a system that people will like and are also listening to their customers and what changes they want as well.

In the last update, I was very happy to see that they allowed for a list of downloads to be made and that they could be downloaded in the background while we play games and such, nice touch.

I wonder what else they have in store for this next update.

16. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Sounds good.

Will 1080p be only for movies played from the HD-DVD drive or also for games?

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

360 only upscales to 720p via the VGA cable at the moment. And it does look very much improved over the component output.

I hope the 1080p output is not limited to VGA cable users, but I can't imagine it is. It's the ps3 they are trying to match res with so I'm assuming 1080p and upscaling will be fully through Component as well as VGA.

Games as well - should developers decide to use it (doubt many will. same as ps3) but chances are most will stick to 720p to maximize framerates in games (again same as PS3)..

18. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

i didnt know they could do that with a firmware update! Too bad I don't havbe a 1080p tv....yet.But damn thats sweet, upconverting DVD's will do nicely until my PS3/other dvd player takes its place (damn 360 is too loud for watching movies...:( )

19. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

HAHAHAHAAAAAHAAAAHAAA! :D

Sorry, I'm just grinning from ear-to-ear at everyone who was stating that the 360 was "gimped" or "inferior" to the PS3 and couldn't do 1080p...EVAR. Anyone remember "Xbox 1.5?"

EAT IT! :D

The big question is...will this be enough to push jimmi into finally getting a 360?

Oh, who am I kidding. Of course not! ;)

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Lol! If it was a Nintendo 360 then he would have done so already ;) :D (sorry Jimmi mate, couldnt resist)

21. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i would be happy if there were actually some 1080p tvs available here for a start ... heck last time they didn't even had a 1080i tv in the showroom :rolleyes:

if the 360 was priced here as it is in japan i guess jimmi would buy one .... i would buy one for 200€ including 2 games too

22. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Yeah, I was aware of that. But I just wanted to be sure that I didn't have some of the major problems that others are having here. I have a 90-day return window with my 360 from Target....so if I would have had constant problems I probably would have just returned it and got a refund and not ever bought another one. So I didn't want to risk wasting money on XBLA games just in case. It is great that they let you download the full versions again though.....I think the Wii will also allow that. Too bad Apple doesn't do that with the iTunes Store. That is the reason I hardly buy from the iTunes store anymore. I lost a few songs when my RevA iMac G5 crashed........and I'd rather lose a few bucks than have to deal with tech support and all the time it takes to get anything done with them to get approval for another download.

23. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Just a question generally - the article says that it upscales the DVDs to 1080p. What does this gain? Please explain this to me. The source material is 480p. It's not like a game, where you can render it in higher resolutions. I really don't see the point

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's like antialiasing. If you watch 480p content on a 1080p screen, it'll be stretched and blocky...this smooths out and blends together the blocks, so it looks fine.

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well I know what your saying - it's like

taking a low res JPG 640x480 and stretching it to 1920x1080 would indeed reduce the quality.

BUT... what these 'upscaling' devices do is actually process the image with very clever codecs that not only increase the resolution, but increase the quality of the image, without causing artifacts and blurring..

It really does work. I have a Panasonic HDMI DVD player that does it and you really can tell the difference. I was watching armageddon upscaled to 1080i last night on a 42" lcd and it looked amazing.

True its not real HD, but for most people who are very happy with DVD, and have a flatscreen TV, upscaling offers a cheap way of boosting your existing dvd's without investing in a €1500 blu ray dvd player.