Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
http://dukebox.net/ipodtrash.php

what the hell is with them the reason ipods are so popular is they look cool and are simple to use.

I would never buy an archos jukebox for the simple reason they are ugly as hell and were probably desighned by a builder who liked bricks the same go's for countless others.

as for all those extra features who actually uses them be honest. (bit of a weak argument i know but it's like lugging round a huge tool box when all you need is a swis army knife.)

also i have heard countless storys of the competitor jukeboxs breaking skiping ect.

then again I am a bias mac fanatic.

care to share opinions?

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
There seems to be some anger towards the fact that the iPod didn't have a replacement battery program,

hasn't Apple set one up now?

I'm not really bothered since I have an old 10GB iPod (with buttons) and its battery is still going :p

plus i think it was about the same price as these new ones when it was bought new

If they think the iPod is a ripoff are these cheap looking players any better?

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
maybe they should've put the pic of the Archos next to the iPod and let people decide. ;)
but then again, when something's popular, people begin to attack every single tiny fault, or whatefver can be interpretted as a defect.

but then by this logic, Windows is actually good...*gasp. i guess they're an exception. :p

Skygirl

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2004
41,000 feet
My husband bought his 20G Nomad Jukebox about a month before I bought my 20G iPod. He keeps "borrrowing" my iPod (and he is a bonafide Mac Hater!)

I'll refer him to the above website.:D

Maritan

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2003
I do have a question - In the site mentioned above, they say that iTunes on installation will over-write/destroy key files belonging to the MusicMatch software. Is this true? If it is, it's a pretty dirty thing to do, and Apple is stooping to M$'s level.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Hmm...yes, I'd rather save £5.36, and be able to "watch/view" (LMAO!) images/video on this tiny little screen, and have to carry round this monstrosity:

av140dvr.jpg

:eek: :p

edit: oh yeah, btw, this has to go down as one of the most stupid business moves ever for a company. "oh, oh! I know! lets stop selling the product that everyone wants! yeah! What a great idea!" :rolleyes:

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
The funny thing is that this guy is just going to lose money because of it.

He also doesn't seem to realize that the iPod is just a mp3 player, not a video player, or a camera, or a walkie-talkie, or a geiger counter, or a multi-function printer/copier/fax/scanner device, and the fact that the iPod is about the only HD mp3 player that will fit into your front shirt pocket comfortably, much less any pocket...

He also takes conspiracy theories to heart, like the ignorant fool he is...

He probably lost some contract to sell iPods or something like that because he was an idiot and didn't do something right, and is just mad at Apple now, because maybe he knows he's going to lose money. Unfortunately, his 1 small website isn't going to topple the iPod...

iJed

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2001
West Sussex, UK
Thanks for this topic. I've not had such a good laugh at an internet page as I have at dukebox.net in a long time.

Here is why the iPod is better:

1) Its UI. Both hardware and software. This simply offsets any advantage of any other player.

2) iTunes. Just look at MusicMatch and this one will be startlingly obvious.

3) AAC audio support. Without this your player is not compatible with the iTMS.

4) Its size and weight. iPod is more or less perfectly sized to fit in your pocket and does not weigh so much as to make you notice it at every moment.

5) The design of the iPod. I doubt there is anyone who would claim that the iPod is not simply the most beautiful MP3 player on the market.

6) Lack of useless and gimmicky features. iPod does not allow you to play movies or view pictures on that tiny screen of its. This makes the interface less cluttered and much more oriented towards the task.

Now the iPod is not perfect. Its got a relatively short battery life and it seems to not be the most reliable of things. However there is simply no competition! All the other MP3 players on the market are poorly designed, horrible to use and ugly.

Not long until I get my 20G iPod now! :-D

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Originally posted by Maritan
I do have a question - In the site mentioned above, they say that iTunes on installation will over-write/destroy key files belonging to the MusicMatch software. Is this true? If it is, it's a pretty dirty thing to do, and Apple is stooping to M$'s level.

I think when iTunes is installed, it will stop MusicMatch working for iPod syncing - otherwise MusicMatch is unaffected. (I've never used MusicMatch, so I don't know how openly or covertly this is done).

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
reason that i posted this is that the site is advertised here on mac rumoers

but remember the danger is that parents that serch on google for the ipod will find this site and think they are geting there child a better product not knowing how impractical and seriosly uncool these players are.

annother thing that other players cant touch is the ipods sound quality aac sounds better

get a freind to play a wma aac and mp3's at random I can always identify the aac song as the one with the best clarity.

my only gripe with the ipod is the lack of support for open source standards such as ogg.

Well, I guess some people don't appreciate the beautiful simplicity of iPod.

Many guys think expensive equipment should be complicated, I imagine. With these complicated ones, you really feel like you are using a device because you need a lotta effort using it. On the other hand, iPod doesn't require your brain power at all. When I got one myself when the first 5GB one came out, it just smoothly melted into my lifestyle, so that I forgot about the gadget excitement, which was nicely weird.

The world is sooooo complicated now, so that we really need a device like iPod that simplies our everyday life.

Oh, and that page doesn't talk anything about the design and interface issues. Sounds like an ancient Win vs Mac debate: some people only cares about the price/function performance, some others cares about the design issues.

But, honestly, I think everybody has different needs/prefs. So I'm cool about that page.

Java

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Marin County (where else?)
one more thing

Come on Apple, why can't my iPod talk to my toaster?

Jeez, you really should stop selling these things.:p

As mentioned before, great business practices. Stop selling the product everybody wants.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
Video Recording: iPod can not. Despite claims from iPod owners that this is available via Belkin add-on

Now, which one of you told them that?
:D

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
lame... all i have to say about that... no, the ipod isn't for everyone, just like that completely fugly whatever-the-heck-its-called mp3 player isn't for everyone either...

i can't wait for my mini to ship :D

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
You mean the iPod can't play DVDs ripped to the hard drive and project them on a wall?? I even heard it won't take getting ran over by a car. Well Im not getting an iPod know.....NOT

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Hmm what the hell is the big deal with the whole thing against iPod. its great for what it dose yea ok it costs a bit more than what?? ...

its a hard drive with a way of controlling it and its good at its job dam fast too from what ive seen of it. dont own one my hardware wont run one no firewire..

hmm slow cd copy or fast firewire copy hmm i know which id like to use..

If people want to sceam blue murder for poor battry life dont charge it so much dont do stupied thing like skp slow or speed up dont know if it dose thise things by the way hope it dont :)

aballalight2

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2005
Ipod

i hate ipods because people say ipod instead of mp3 player. a ipod is an mp3 player, but a mp3 player in not a ipod. it makes me so mad when people say ipod when they mean mp3 player or even better portable listing device.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
aballalight2 said:
i hate ipods because people say ipod instead of mp3 player. a ipod is an mp3 player, but a mp3 player in not a ipod. it makes me so mad when people say ipod when they mean mp3 player or even better portable listing device.

Wow this is from he archives !

Oh well, I remember people calling portable tape players Walkmans, when they were anything but a walkman.

It is a sign of the times!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.