That's it....i'm getting a PSP after this!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Joeytpg, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

guys...i've been reading about the PSP and looking for cool games and stuff, and the PSP seems to have what i need/want.

First, my fav. game F1 2006 is available for PSP!! i wanted to buy a PS2/PS3 JUST for that game, since i'm not a gamer.

Second, i wanted a mobile divice i could check my e-mail and chat wirelessly, and the PSP gets the job done!

Third and last, there are some cool games for PSP so i guess it could get me entertained for a while!

:D PSP here i come!!

does anyone know when are we gonna get a new PSP (PSP2 or something?)

2. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Im pretty sure you cant chat on a psp. I have one and you cant chat. There is no keyboard on it.

3. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Your buyin' a PSP just to play F1 and to check your email (there's no chat)? o_O
    Hope it's worth your $200 you are goin to spend. It's not a "mobile" device, you still need a connection. I also heard the browser is horrible. I'm also thinking that the PS2/3 version are probably way better IMO.

4. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

The browser on the PSP is pretty much useless. I've tried it once or twice on my PSP, but now really only use the wifi connection to update the firmware from time to time. I'm not aware of there being a chat client for the PSP, although I've never looked for one. All I know is that the typing of messages would be pretty slow and inefficient.

For games its absolutely fantastic though! :D

5. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

I picked up a PSP a few months ago for £100 with 3 games, extra bat, 1gb memory stick etc on eBay. Well chuffed with it!

Agreed, the browser is pretty sucky but its a games machine after all and on that it does really well.

Oh, and I know its a kiddy game, but pickup Loco Roco. Its awesome! :D

6. mufflon macrumors 6502

"Kid stuff" is really what you yourself make of it - I for one love to be entertained when I'm not time raped by university related stuff (studying / rest is unmentioned) - a psp might just cut it for me - probably will for everyone else given the proper motivation.

7. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

The best feature for me of the PSP though it the sleep mode. I can happily be playing Burnout / Loco / GTA and just flip the power off. Come back tomorrow, flick the power and its instantly back where I left it. True portable gaming which rocks!

8. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Oh gawd!!! That game is awesome!!!! I sold my PSP a while ago and I saw that game at the PSP display at work. It was so (loss of manliness) CUTE!!! I was playing it for several minutes and couldn't help but laugh how simple yet fun it was!

Anyways, congrats on your decision. I would buy it used if I were you. OR get the Sony $250 pack that comes with a game, a movie, a gig of memory and the PSP. Quite a deal nowadays

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep those Loco's are one of the best NEW IP's in a long long time on ANY platform. Fantastic game and the perfect example of a game tailored to a device.

The PS2 ports really are rubbish generally, and racing games excluding wipeout have all been dire. F1 has serious probelms because you simply cant see the distance very well and end up crashing and going off course. The problematic refresh rate or blurring of the psp's screen also suffers badly with the F1 game.

This is why the DS has done better than PSP. It has games tailored to the device and situation, whereas PSP suffers by having lazy ports from PS2.

The web browser is next to useless. Really. If any site uses frames or advanced CSS forget it.... utter waste of time and very slow.

Get the PSP but be aware it does have its problems, but heck dont we all :D

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I can't stay on for long as the wifi keeps cutting out but some key bits -

- Dont get a PSP for a few games. I made that mistake
    - The battery life is bad. It didn't survive a car trip to Stoke (from Oldham) whereas my DS lasted from Oldham to Bristol and back. Not trying to make a "buy a DS" post, but comparatively speaking the battery is *****.

Just take note that it's not perfect. you're probably in a similar situation to me where you saw it as a gleaming perfect machine before you bought it. Don't be fooled by that. There are flaws.

11. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

hey guys, thanks a lot for taking the tme to answer "another PSP thread" hehe.....

well, i thought you could chat with the psp (buying an external little keypad) but oh well, i wanted it to check my email on the go, while at uni. or any wifi spot. But to me that's just a plus, since the main reason will be to NOT GET BORED while out on the subway or when i'm out.

So F1 doesn't play good? :confused: how bad is it?...can you at least get used to it? Last year i lived with a roomate and he had a PS2 and oh boy did i fall in love with that game (not to mention i'm a F1 fan also, not just the game) Like i said i'm not a games per se but i game from time to time, have a few computer games that keep me busy.

But i've discovered that if i'm playing computer games it's easier for me to get distracted using the computer for othe stuff. So the PSP seemed like the coolest thing:

Gaming on the go (i have an ipod and i love to read, but after a while i get sick of listening to music and reading while on the subway)

Can check my e-mail on the go (can i check my .mac account? and gmail?)

if i ever get sick of it i just have to sell it! :p that's why i've been thinking about buying it used, that way i won't loose too much (and that's IF i loose)

ABOUT NINTENDO DS/ DS LITE:

Ok, a lot of people rave about DS/ DS LITE....i saw one and bout did i find it unconfortable....i just have those "palm sticks" type of controls..... i'm talking about the little stick you use to select thing with your PDA. It's so hard for me to get used to that..... prefer buttons. But anyways, what i don't really DIG about the Nintendo is the kiddie-type-of-games :rolleyes:

i like Sport games (Racing/Baseball/Basketball)
    and First Person Shooters (but honestly i have the computer for those games, NOTHING can beat a Mouse and Keyboard for FPS flowness)

So can you point out any good Sport/racing games for DS Lite ?

12. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I never use the stylus myself. ;)

And it's people who have little experience with the DS that think all the games are for 'kiddies.'

13. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Mario Kart DS:D

There's a Need for Speed game out for it already, and another one on the way. Also a Burnout game.

As for sports, you have FIFA '07, Madden NFL '07, amd Golf. Looks like there is a baseball game coming at the end of the year as well.

14. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

oh don't get me wrong.....i bet A LOT of games on the DS LITE are complicated enough, it's just the "kiddie looking figures" i'm talking 'bout.

am i wrong? ....can anyone point out other cool games for DS Lite?

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

A lot of people on here would recommend Metroid Prime Hunters as a good FPS/Platformer type game for the DS, and Brain Age/Big Brain Academy for some unique type games.

Also, please don't think that the DS "fanboys" (I know you didn't use the term, but others may) are trying to dissuade you from purchasing a PSP. They're just trying to make sure that you've thought of other things (like load times and battery life).

16. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Cool is subjective, and kiddie is subjective...

If you want to play games that look "cool", you're playin' for the wrong reasons.

As for cool games, you gotta have a preference on what you like and we can probably suggest some games. "Cool" alone doesn't cut it.

17. maxi macrumors regular

Mario kart DS is like crack. :)
    fifa 07 is quite good too

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The problem with it - it was never meant to be played on a 4 inch screen with poor refresh rate. Yes it's a great conversion, but it's hampered by the format it is on.

When there is a strong dark colour on the PSP screen it often streaks and blurs due to the poor refresh rate on the psp screen. The F1 game is very grey due to the nature and proximity of the road surfaces, it makes it hard to see unless the screen is on uber brightness with the powercable on.

Also because of the small field of view of the screen, you will end up staring really hard, in a very forced way on the screen in order to try and make out if there is a car in front of you, or a wall or a turning. This gave me a serious headache. The problem is exacerbated on a narrow bendy track like monte carlo which you will spend most of the time banging into things.

They have tried to addres this by having auto braking etc... which although do help you at least manage to get around the course, make you feel for the most part completely on rails.

It's a really good game, completely unfit for the psp format and hence is a terrible dissapointment.

19. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I started a thread on here, saying I was thinking of getting a PSP

Everyone pretty much told me it sucks, the games suck, and to get a DS.

I don't want a DS, so I didn't get anything.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

PSP doesnt suck, it's a great machine doing things it was designed to do.

Yes F1 is pretty bad, but there are many fantastic games out there for the psp.

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The PSP does not suck....The PSP has good games going for it. If you are looking just for the games then go on and buy the PSP...good games are now here.

The DS has good/bad games as well as does the PSP.

Bless

22. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

well the thing is i'd love to get a PS2 to play F1, but honestly i don't want a console.....too big, too bulky, and i'm not a gamer. I want a little handheld device to entertain myself while out, or on my bed at night before going to sleep.

I'll give PSP a try. If i don't like it, i'll just sell it

how much do you think i should pay for a used PSP in good conditions?

how big should the Memory stick be? (is the mem. stick only for music/files etc or the games are saved here too?

23. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

why dont you get a Nintendo DS Lite? From what i've seen and read, they are far superior to the PSP. Granted their games are quite kiddie, but they are really fun and many have high replayability

24. lewion macrumors regular

lewion

2gig memorystick, be sure to check out projectpsp.com and pspupdates.qj.net Oh and make sure ur version is below 2.81 as you can't downgrade anymore then. Downgrade ur psp, install cutom firmware and play homebrew muahahahaha.....

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Games are saved to MS too. 512mb - 1gb should be enough for most.

My negative comments about F1 are only personal oppinion and you may find you enjoy the game and arent as fazed about the small screen as me. You could always rent the game first.

Top of my PSP chart are Loco Roco, Ultimate Ghost & Goblins, Lumines, Mercury, Everybody Golf, Tokobot & Wipeout Pure