The 1.6/1.8 Powermac Club.

Discussion in 'Community' started by _bnkr612, Dec 7, 2004.

1. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

It hurts sometimes to read people who disfavor the single G5 processors. I am a designer, and when I had a decent college budget and wanted to buy a G5 last March, the 1.6 model seemed to work with the money I had. I added more HD space (160GB) more RAM (a gig) and wireless, bluetooth, superdrive, applecare...

I run Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash, keep Mail open, iChat (sometimes Adium) and I have never had problems. I love my little engine that CAN.

Yes, a dual would be nice. Hopefully when I get a job, they will supply some decent machines.

Are there any other singles (as in 1.6/1.8 G5 Powermacs) who feel there machine is sufficient for their needs?

Cheers.

2. bastardx macrumors member

I currently own a Rev. A 1.8, which I purchased as my first Mac desktop in 11/2003. As a CS student, I find the clock speed and most the specifications more than enough for what I do on a daily basis. The only things I can really see myself doing, is upgrading the memory to at least 1 Gig, and upgrading the graphics board as soon as there is a faster graphics board for the mac, that doesn't cost $350-$600. For reference I keep Safari, Entourage, iTunes, Fire, Xcode, and Terminal.app open for the majority of the time I use my computer. The only times I really feel a performance drain is when I am playing games like UT2004 and World of Warcraft, or running Java3D applications.

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i'm willing to bet that a single processor is more than enough for MOST people's needs... unless you're really crunching huge files in powerpoint, or editing massive ammounts of video, it's not neccessary.

not that its not nice to have...

4. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

or big photoshop files... duals are much faster,

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

oh definitely, i've done wedding work where we edit large batches and large individual files... duals are great. i wonder how many people who buy the big machines actually use them for much more than iPhoto and web surfing...?

6. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

You wonder if the same people bought their wives the biggest SUV to go to work in or pick up the children who are only 6-10 and have their own PDA's. It just seems as if some people have a dual just to say they do.

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

8. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I love my single 1.6... it was a refurb, so a cheapie. It does everything I want it to and will be able to handle Tiger without problems. We'll see about Doom3 :rolleyes:

9. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

I have the iMac 1.8 with a 600MHz bus, which is even slower than the ones you guys are talking about. It does a very nice job with the internet, and the iPhoto that I do. I primarily bought it just for basic use, and to have a 64-bit computer that will take me into the future. Remember, nothing can make you type faster... except caffeine.