The 10.3.5 update DID something for me thread.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by stoid, Aug 9, 2004.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

The main 10.3.5 update thread is so bogged down with people posting "YAY I'm updating" and "NAY I'm waiting" that I'm not sure if this update is actually doing anything.

So post here only if the update actually changed something noticeably for you good or bad, so that this thread can be a quick reference guide for people considering updating or not.

No discussion here, you want to discuss (or spam) go to the main thread. Thanks guys/gals!

2. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

so far, Mail is faster in checking for mail. haven't noticed anything else yet.

3. homeshire macrumors regular

i just noticed that 30+gb of hard drive space seem to have disappeared somewhere into the ether. can anyone explain that? i can't swear 10.3.5 caused it, but i just noticed it missing when repairing permissions after installing 10.3.5 ... what's up with that???

4. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

hm. i do not experience this. my HDD space is relatively the same as last tiem i check them.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've noticed that the de-interlacing in DVD Player is much better in that it doesn't show a lot of scan lines when there is a lot of movement. I've noticed a lot of jaggies now but they were probably there in the past, too.

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

It made me find 5 new computer numbers.

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRISC4PE.kext/Content/Info.plist

<key>IOPlatformPluginTable</key>
    <dict>
    <key>PowerBook7,1</key>
    <string>SMU_Neo2_PlatformPlugin</string>
    <key>PowerBook7,2</key>
    <key>PowerMac7,2</key>
    <string>PowerMac7_2_PlatformPlugin</string>
    <key>PowerMac7,3</key>
    <string>PowerMac7_2_PlatformPlugin</string>
    <key>PowerMac8,1</key>
    <key>PowerMac9,1</key>
    <key>RackMac3,1</key>
    <string>RackMac3_1_PlatformPlugin</string>

Powermac 7,3 and Powermac 9,1

Powerbook 7,1 and 7,2

Macrack 3,1

7. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

According to http://www.theapplemuseum.com/index.php?id=tam&page=products&subpage=newworld
    Powermac 7,3 is the new G5,
    Macrack 3,1 is the G5 XServe, but Powermac 9,1, and Powerbook 7,1/7,2 are nonexistent as of yet.
    We can all guess that Powermac 9,1 is the iMac G5, but Powerbook 7,1 and 7,2 are surprising this early. There must be Powerbook and/or iBook updates on the horizon... I'm guessing by January. And there's no way it's the Powerbook G5. We got 1 more revision.

Anyways, back onto the topic, I uh... well, have noticed nothing different about 10.3.5. Sorry!

Lee Tom

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Then what happened to Powermac 8,1? I thought that was supposed to be the imac G5.

9. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

I know this sounds mildly ridiculous. but...I swear. my G5's internal speakers are louder! by far noticable! please someone. Tell me if i am correct!

10. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

On my Powerbook G4 (1.25ghz). I do not see any difference in Mail. But it did do something very weird to my Safary. It wouldn't start, just bounce. I had to download safary manually before it would work properly. That was kind of a bummer. But after downloading and installing Safari, i can say, no difference at all.

Cuckoo

11. dehgenog macrumors newbie

12" Rev.C PowerBook owners should be thankful for the new nvidia drivers. they fixed a SEVERE bug where 3d performance would turn to doggy doo after awakening from sleep. (Couldn't play intensive 3d games properly after a Sleep without rebooting)

12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I haven't upgraded yet, but I read on MobileWhack that 10.3.5 includes a Bluetooth remote control ability (effectively use your phone as a wirelss keyboard/mouse). Has anyone tried this?

13. mfarley macrumors newbie

No major issues here. I did notice that once updated my main email account in Mail was sent to offline status when I restarted even though I had just been using it prior to the restart.

Of course, I hadn't disabled all my system hacks or rebuilt permissions prior to installing the update so I was probably asking for something to happen. =)

Mike

14. Boris Yeltsin macrumors newbie

This update has made my G5 not want to sleep. I'm getting a little irritated because when I called Apple Care they told me to do a complete reinstall. I now have suffer through the pain of reinstalling the os, apps, and my back-up data. This update, in my opinion, really bites.

15. mkaake macrumors 65816

my windows networking has become even slower. when i plug the pc into my mac, it now takes over 15 minutes before i can access it over the network. under 10.3.4, it was about 4 minutes (which is still too long in my mind). the most annoying part? i could see the mac on my pc long before my mac would let me access the pc.

16. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

It seems one of your logs in one of your Libraries has become corrupted and bloated. This has happen to me before while repairing permissions on my MDD with 120GB I was at a lost for words when I happen to notice that Disk Utility noted that I only had 13GB of HD space. After some "getting info" on several files, I narrowed my search down to the crash logs of which one monster was roughly 60GB in size. I trashed the sucker and restarted and all was fine. Anybody else have this problem?

17. veedubdrew macrumors regular

10.3.5 made my system feel "snappier." It made my fan run more, but not obnoxiously so. Flipping between pics in iPhoto is quicker now. A bug with my trackpad operation has gone away. iDisk access in the Finder is now much quicker and more stable for me. Windows minimize to the dock much faster and smoother than they did before. My AirPort reception improved a bit. A bug with my Bluetooth has been fixed.

I think that's about it for the 10.3.5 differences on my machine. Overall I'm very pleased with the update.

-Drew

18. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Updating Right now.

Just kidding.

After the update I noticed that my CPU usage is a bit lower than it was before while I do every day things. (iTasks)

Also things do feel alot more snappier, and I would say the the sounds from the internal speakers is better too.

I was most impressed with the Java Update, Java Apps are launching faster, and running smoother. Thanks Apple

19. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Safari has been slightly slower for me (barely).

But yes my system is snappier so I am happy.

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That only works on the Sony Ericsson K700 and S700, as they have a remote control feature. Jonas Salling released some tools to make the feature work better, but it still doesn't compare to Salling Clicker.

21. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

About 0.001% of people will care about this, but the hidden Display Options panel has been changed to allow separate disabling of each of the two ACD display buttons. My 20" ACD's Power button causes my G5 to freeze - disabling it stopped the problem. Now, in 10.3.5, I can enable the "display preferences" button separately. Not a big deal, but sort of cool. For me. And, yes, it's under AppleCare, but I don't want to go without it forever while Apple scratches it up to "fix" it.

Edit: to get to it: System Preferences...->option-shift-click on Display icon.

Attached Files:

22. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

that comes out to more than 30 MacRumors members, do you think that is a little high? :D

23. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

"About 1 in every 40,000 MacRumors members will care about this."

Better? ;)

At least it showed me that 10.3.5 did something - I saw no other changes!

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I found one other thing, which is not so good. While playing the Carbon-ised version of Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force Expansion Pack, I encountered a couple of characters out of uniform--wearing pajamas again. (The uniforms are simply a random pattern.) This was fixed back in 10.2.5/10.2.6 when the OpenGL and nVidia drivers were corrected.

I also noticed that networking between my two Ethernet-attached Macs in this room is back to where it was from 10.3 to 10.3.3. I cannot merely connect to the other machine, but I can browse and connect to it.

Shame! :(

25. charlien5 macrumors newbie

safari now much faster!

very happy - safari was very slow for me in 10.3.4 - now it seems much faster .
    for example it used to take a number of minutes to open in tabs one of my folders in favorites eg my mac folder which contains about 20 different websites.
    now the same folder opens a window of tabs ready to be clicked on in under 30s.hope this makes sense.
    charlie
    i have an emac 700mhz 10.3.5