The 17in PB -- Great!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Chad4Mac, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Chad4Mac macrumors 6502

So, I got back from my little MacWorld excursion. I got to spend some quality time with the new 17in PowerBook.

First thing I did was to pick the thing up (it's not that much heavier that the Ti's) and feel the bottom of the machine for the "heat issues." Problem solved. The Apple guy said that the machine had been on all day, apps opened, people playing with it, and the machine was not hot, warm, but not hot. Mind you, the machine is resting on a warm, lit surface counter (can't see the backlit keyboard, good one Apple). In addtion, he also said the motherboard had been redesigned (obviously) so that the main heat sources of the machine disperse the heat more toward the top of the machine than the bottom. No heat issue on the top of the machine, either. No more sweaty laps.
    Couldn't hear the fan (apparently there are still two) because of the noise in the convention center. I really tried to listen for it, pitting my ear up against the machine while all apps in the dock were opened and itunes was playing. No fan that I could hear.
    Extremely satisfied with the heat issue being solved, or atleast corrected.

The keyboard is great, much better feel then the Ti models. Solid, higher quality.

Screen is just great; it's exactly what my computer experience is lacking. The casing around the screen is much more stirty. The screen opens much more nicely than the Ti's -- very smooth. (Sometimes I feel that the screen casing around the Ti's are weak, like you have to open the screen carefully.)

This computer is not too big; I ddin't get that feeling. Just a tad bigger than the Ti's. Definitely portable.

Speakers are a bit louder.

The whole thing just feels like a more quality product. I like the Al finish, very similar to the Ti. I obviously didn't have the right conditions to really test the machine out, but I was extremely satisfied with the machine. I am really considering upgrading from my 667 Ti in February. What a beautiful machine!

Chad4Mac

2. Chad4Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

The vents are located: 1) One along the back side edge of the machine, running in small vertical rows, and are about 8 inches in length, 2) two along the front, bottom edge of the hardware case. these run about 2.5- 3 inches in length.

I say the venting has been increased by about 200%, just by the increased area of venting present on the the new 17-in.

Fan(s) is located in the back I would presume.

Overall, I think that the cooling set-up is much better. The two slots on the left and right front can draw cooler air from the front of the machine, and the fan(s) and slots in the back help to draw that cooler air across the entire machine.

What a "cool" machine, can't wait till it's mine!
    Chad4Mac

3. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

What about the 12" model? What are your impressions? Where are the speakers?

Thanks.

4. Chad4Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

I did not spend a large amount of time hoovering around the 12 in model, however, I was still impressed by it. Real lite. Nice keyboard -- way better than the iBook keyboard.

Don't remember seeing speakers, but I'm positive that it has 'em. Funny, don't remember seeing speakers. Maybe below the keyboard??

There are some small holes right under the monitor. Maybe that's them. Check out the Quicktime virtual tour.

Chad4Mac

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

The speakers are in the back of the body and the sound supposedly is suppose to reflect off the screen when it's open. I don't know where the 3rd midrange speaker is. I suspect it is behind the screen.

6. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Actually, I've heard that the third midrange speaker truly is below the keyboard...not positive tho'. (It seems like a weird location)

7. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

I played with the 12 inch at MacWorld and was very impressed. Great action on the keyboard, bright screen, light as a feather. Apple as done a great job.

The one concern I would have is that it felt very hot. It may of been the illuminated tables it was on, but the bottom was extremely hot-more so than any Ti book I ever used.

I would check one out at the Apple store before buying just to make sure it was the lighted table that was creating the heat, not the laptop itself.