Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esbod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2002
Having owned a 128K Mac (yes I have gray hair) and multiple macs after that I've seen the quick slide of the "high end" mac to the low end model. Always an "ouch" but at least YOU didn't have the chance to buy a 128K for over $2000. Lucky me!

Now I'm looking at the 17 inch and hearing the 15 inch screen production rumored to be ending. Sound familiar to all you mac pioneers???

So how about some opinions about the iMac line... Looks to me as we are looking at all 17 inch screens within 6 months. More importantly to the iMac 17 buyer today - what are the chances of a 19 iMac in January 2003?

My thoughts by January 2003:
All 17 inch Imacs - speed bumps included, all with super dirves except the lowest end.
A 19 inch "High End" with 1.25 G processor, new USB, second sreen output (not mirroring)

Buy today or wait

JustAGuy

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
LotusLand
Basically, your dreaming. The 17" iMac is already a fantastic consumer grade computer. If you were to increase the screen size, almost double the CPU speed and add 2x monitor support the lines between consumer and pro would blur considerably.

I, for one, don't see the current 17" model changing much at all in the next year (aside from minor potential CPU and/or bus bumps)

tortus

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2002
Los Angeles
19 inch imac

****! I would buy one, tear the screen off, and somehow hack it to work with my powermac.

Then, I would sell the sunflower base on ebay.

macmunch

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
But ...

But a 17" trough the hole iMac line is very possible !!

look I can buy a 15" TFT 300 € and a 17" 499 € so apple gets this in mass its cheaper for them and so 17" look nut impossible !

But 19" never at least a year or two to see this is any iMac

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
If Apple goes to a wide format display, across the board, the 19" will only be a wide 17". With the current rebates for the LCDs, I imagine we'll see a whole new bunch of screens soon, maybe even by the end of the year. No more 15" LCD, but a wideformat 17", the 17" LCD will become a 19" wide format. Those will be fantastic monitors, and I'll get at least two when I buy my new machine next year.

D

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Originally posted by dukestreet
If Apple goes to a wide format display, across the board, the 19" will only be a wide 17". With the current rebates for the LCDs, I imagine we'll see a whole new bunch of screens soon, maybe even by the end of the year. No more 15" LCD, but a wideformat 17", the 17" LCD will become a 19" wide format. Those will be fantastic monitors, and I'll get at least two when I buy my new machine next year.

D

Thats all possible for the separate LCD moniters...actually very likely. (say october or so?;))

As for the 19" iMac...no way. They found the sweet spot in the 17" widescreen edition...the 19" is "overkill" in my opinion. Buy a pm if you want 19" screen!:D

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
They'll probably just let the 17" screen slowly work its way into the iMac line-up. They'll probably keep a 15" screen in the iMac for a while, and slowly work it out of the product line.

multifinder

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2002
The 15" iMacs are definitely history--they're stopping production of them in October:

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2002/08/22&pages=01&seq=1

My guess is they'll go to 17" for all iMacs, and leave the low end to the eMac. Hopefully Apple will get the price down though--for most people, dropping $2000 on a home computer isn't an option when the economy sucks and a pink slip could be coming any day. It's no wonder their sales are only half what they projected.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by multifinder
The 15" iMacs are definitely history--they're stopping production of them in October:

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2002/08/22&pages=01&seq=1

no no no!

I hestiate to post these items because people always read into them how they want to read into them...

The move is meant to make room for an upgrade to the 17-inch liquid-crystal display (LCD) monitor, they said, but more importantly, to allow Apple to reduce inventory accumulated from more positive days.

The way I read that is that they have too many 15" imacs around... so they are slowing down production to let demand catch up

arn

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: The 19 Inch iMac - January 2003

Originally posted by esbod

So how about some opinions about the iMac line... Looks to me as we are looking at all 17 inch screens within 6 months. More importantly to the iMac 17 buyer today - what are the chances of a 19 iMac in January 2003?

slim to none, imo

arn

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
If you loved the 128K and its 9" B & W screen, why bitch..

theres a 17" imac, with quadrilions of colours available now.... now ... now!

If you wait, you'll be like me... you wait and then you go, but hey, nows theres a 19", it will only be a couple months until a 22", and so on and so fourth..

Go for the 17" and have some fun.....

DigitalRampage

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Actually I think the 15inch will get discontinued, Its been going around for ages, but I have doubts and don't think apple will drop it

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I think the chance of a 19" iMac EVER seeing the light of day is nil...that is unless they have like some type of virtual thing so a smaller mass appears bigger but is actually not or something...but it's a consumers computer..17" is fine as it is...just maybe, the 15" will go one day to be replaced by an all 17" but I kinda doubt that will happen for a while...

bunton

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
here

I made this up in less tha ntwo minutes

the low end imac will have 15" screen and cd-r drive
Mid range will be super drive 15"
high will be super drive 17"

They should stop the low end super drive is the way to go why not get the bes t drive, why buy old technology, they coulddrop that **** and work on the super drives. Companies cant make a whole lot of things good, Apple should just make all imacs with super drive and only offer two or just the best, only one company i know of is succesfully at everything in the world. And that is Dualstar consumer products the Olsen Twins company nd **** htey make everything from candy to feature films bookks clothes tv shows toys cd's and they make your day hey hey.

gralem

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2002
I think he's right!

That is a very perceptive rumor. An increase of +4 inches in screen size per year. I can't wait till MWSF 2010 and the release of the 47" flat panel iMac!!!

:D

---gralem

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
I just got my 17 inch iMac on thursday(8/22), and its great. the screen is a perfect size, so i don't think a 19 inch iMac is ever going to be introduced, but thats my personal opinion:)

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
19" I don't think so, Apple would have to raise the price by about 600.00$$ and it would be really heavy and awkward. And if a 19" iMac did by some small chance come out someone will post asking about a 23" iMac. I would much rather have a 17" 1.2 GHz iMac.

multifinder

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2002
Originally posted by arn

The way I read that is that they have too many 15" imacs around... so they are slowing down production to let demand catch up

That's a good point, didn't think of it that way.

Although the more alarming part of that article to me is how complex/expensive building the iMac is, with over 100 steps in assembly. If Apple had stuck with the alleged original design for the iMac 2 (a Mac LC-like box with a flat screen on top of it), their costs would be lower, they could have priced it lower, and my guess is you'd see a lot more of them selling. Instead, the iMac has become the Cube II, with the eMac taking over the iMac's position at the entry-level. I'm biased because I'm not a huge fan of the new iMac's design, but I think if Apple changed the enclosure to make it easier to manufacture and cut the price $200-300, a lot more of them would sell.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
A 19" would look really funny. I think the 17" is bordering on funny, but if it was any larger my 1st reaction would be to laugh at it. It is like a child with an unproportionally large head. I wouldnt laugh at big headed kid though :D *cough*cough*.

MidnightRambler

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2002
19" iMac, 'eh?

If Apple makes it, I'll go into business selling aftermarket guide wires to keep the things from tipping over.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by MidnightRambler
19" iMac, 'eh?

If Apple makes it, I'll go into business selling aftermarket guide wires to keep the things from tipping over.

Exactly why I think it would be funny :).

Raiden

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2002
There is definatly a market for 19in iMacs.

Take me for example. Next year I will be going to college, and I will have to buy a computer. Mac of course! :) Anyway, I will be majoring in computer aided graphic design. I also dont want to spend thousands of dollars on a powermac and then spend even more for a 23in apple monitor. A 19in iMac w/ 1.25Ghz would be the perfect compromise between size, power, resolution, and price.

I would buy one in a hurry!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.