The $2,000 Dilemma: Buy an iBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hoygoo, Jan 15, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

I have about $2,000 I can spend and I need some different perspectives:

I work at a university so I get the educational discount. I'm currently a web designer but will leave my job within the next 30 days to work a family business. I'll do web work on the side, but no longer will need a box that matches my current machine (17-inch PB 1.33 GHz / 1.5 Ram).

My thought is to get the 12-inch iBook (with beefed-up Ram to 1 gig) with Apple Care protection plan. I can get that for around $1,200. It's the same processor speed as my current machine and I'll run less apps so I don't think I'd see that much difference in performance.

I'd also like to get a refurbished iMac for my wife. There are some 17-inch refurbished (and floor models) for $700. Add Apple care and the cost for two machines will be hovering just over $2,000.

The dilemma: I would like to wait for the updated iBook, but I will need a computer immediately when I change jobs, I'm not sure when the updated iBook will be released, and I'll lose my educational discount shortly.

It's not 100 percent necessary to get my wife a machine, and to be honest, maybe I could go without a laptop for while. But my wife is a stay-at-home mom and I'd feel terrible leaving her without a machine while I'm working.

What would you guys do?

Thank you for your input!

2. macrumors member

The $2,000 Dilemma:Buy an iBook?

Your idea of the 12"iBook and the refurbished iMac sounds good. I'd go for it.

3. macrumors member

The $2,000 Dilemma:Buy an iBook?

If you could afford a little more, perhaps you might consider a refurbished PB (any model).

4. macrumors 65816

luminosity

The 12 inch iBook is definitely a good buy.

5. macrumors 68040

Grimace

You always have 364 days to buy AppleCare. Or buy it as soon as you need phone support after the complimentary 90 day period.

6. macrumors 6502a

and im sure no one would give you a hard time even if you did use ur edu discount after your not working anymore..

7. macrumors newbie

Great point on year to purchase Apple care. I had forgot about that. That is huge.

8. macrumors 68040

California

Edu prices on iBook have dropped dramatically. Under 800USD. Shop and use your edu discount -- I still think the 12" ibook is the best Mac at the best price right now. I think I'd still choose it over the intel ibook.

9. macrumors newbie

The education discount for the Apple store through my job is $949 and $1199 for the 12 and 14 inch iBook base models, respectively. Have you seen lower?

10. macrumors 65816

yoda13

I think that perhaps they were talking about refurbs through the Apple Store, but I am not totally sure, but that is where I have seen prices like that...:)

11. macrumors 65816

Why exactly are you getting rid of your PB? Just because you won't need it?

If there is nothing physically wrong with the PB, keep it.

12. macrumors 68040

California

Someone said they got one for 699 and my Uni has it for 799

13. macrumors newbie

The PB belongs to the University (sadly).