1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

The 2.5 gigapixel photo

Discussion in 'Picture Gallery' started by iLikeMyiMac, Nov 18, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

More Info
    Link to photo
    Quite Possibly the coolest thing I've seen on the internet in a long time.

2. macrumors 6502a

quackattack

that is really amazing. Really shows the potential of digital photography. Now I just need a new camera, 5 mp doesn't really cut it anymore. ;)

3. macrumors 6502

wow, that's amazing. i can see that guy walking on the sidewalk to the right is wearing a striped sweater.

4. macrumors 6502a

Wow! Feels like in the movies were the boss always ask the techno guy to 'zoom a bit more'...

Very impressive!

5. macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

6. macrumors 601

andiwm2003

if you zoom to the right of the two blue towers, there is a guy loading a forklifter. there you can see how the pic was sloppy pasted together!

still the coolest thing on the web. we could play i can see what you can't see duriong boring work hours. just paste a section in this thread and the others try to find it.........

andi

7. macrumors 6502

It's not actually one big photo. It's 600 pictures put together in photoshop or something like that.

Here's some interesting things:
    Floating torso
    the carbus

8. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yeah, I noticed that - so one pic of a guy has his head cut off :D It might be one camera, and its automating the shot sequence...still pretty damn cool and the web interface is quite slick :D

D

9. macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

The reason why the head is cut off and the car merges with the bus is because there is a 7 sec time span between each picture.

10. macrumors 6502

Whether it was really one photo, or a composition of many, I just want to know . . . . How long does it take to open the file on a Mac? Once you get it open, how long does it take to "scroll" left or right 1%? God forbid you should try to apply a filter to the whole thing . . . :D

2.5Gpixels is approx 7.5GB file size as straight RGB values. :eek:

11. macrumors G3

Counterfit

I guess this guy finally got beat ;) But, he did a better job with the stitching, as there aren't as many exposure differences.

12. macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

It takes a second to open the file in your browser using macromedia flash player. Don't worry about it.

The only way to get rid of the exposure differences is if you got the world to stop for 1 hour and 12 minutes while you take 600 pictures.

13. macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

14. macrumors 6502a

Peyote

OMG...the street just turned into quicksand! Where's a vine when you need one?

This is starting to remind me of the Philadelphia Experiment.

Attached Files:

15. macrumors 68040

tech4all

Man this thing is addicting! :D If you look at some areas, you can see a difference in lighting where they spliced the many pics, but good job nonetheless.

[edit]

Is it me or is the very right edge of the photo(s) stay pixelated?

And some of those cars on the sides really look distored, shape-wise.

16. macrumors 6502

17. macrumors 6502a

etoiles

where is Waldo ?

18. macrumors 6502a

Peyote

He's right here, surgically spliced together with another guy on a bike.

Attached Files:

19. macrumors 6502a

Peyote

This automobile appears to be...

VANishing!

Attached Files:

20. macrumors 6502a

Peyote

The photo appears to have made a really ugly car...or maybe that's just the car...

Attached Files:

21. macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Here's the rest of the first guy's body...see! It wasn't missing...only misplaced!

OK I'm done.

Attached Files:

• body.jpg
      body.jpg
      File size:
      31.5 KB
      Views:
  22. macrumors 68040

tech4all

You know, I wonder if people didn't know that picture is actually a composite of 600 smaller photos, if they would get freaked out by all these people sinking in the road and having half bodies and such thinking that this was one large picture :rolleyes: :D

23. macrumors regular

I had a lot of fun at that site. The interface is very slick.

However, I find the technology here much more amazing. I just wish they let you zoom around the pictures...

http://www.gigapxl.com/gallery.htm

24. macrumors G3

Counterfit

Nah, that's a Renault. It's just ugly :D

Oh, and LOL@ Mr ed :D

25. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That is incredible :eek: :cool: