The 2004 Microsoft "Imagine" Cup.

Discussion in 'Community' started by brap, Nov 15, 2004.

1. brap macrumors 68000

I've just been invited to consider entering this. Never heard of it before, but last year's winners' project sounds suspiciously ike something I came up with my my final National Diploma project 3 years back. Monkeyland, I tell you!

Has anyone else entered/thought about entering this project before? It was won in the UK last time by a bunch of first-years doing the whole "oooh, it's a distributed system" thing, Jesus I hate fads. I might go in just for the hell of it.

2. applekid macrumors 68020

It doesn't seem very Mac friendly. :mad:

I'm going to attending a meeting about the Imagine Cup sponsored by some local Academic .NET User Group here. They want to talk about the Imagine Cup. I checked out the Spoke's website, and I like the idea, but it just doesn't seem like something a Mac user could enter, or that's the impression I'm getting.

I'll be coding in Java if I decide to enter and if there's no prejudice against Mac developers. I'm thinking about asking if Mac users can join the fun, but I'm probably either a) going get booed by my PC-populated high school, b) the presenter will be ignorant, or c) a mix of both ;)

But at this meeting, they're giving out copies of VS. NET (probably Academic version), a T-Shirt, and a stress ball (probably Microsoft-branded ;) ). They are also holding a raffle for some One Note, Encarta, and even a PocketPC. And there's free food. I'm only going for the free goods. I may just shut my eyes and take a nap at the presentation. Sounds like I'm gonna be disappointed. Sitting through that for two hours, or at least that's what this schedule says...

3. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I have VS.NET Academic... its basically VS.NET Professional only with Acedemic slapped on it. For the price it was nice indeed.

Oh and once you start to program with it, you'll be needing that stress ball! :eek:

4. applekid macrumors 68020

I'm not surprised nor is it a big deal that VS .NET Academic version is like the Professional with only a name difference. Most academic version of pro apps are like that (take Photoshop for example). And since mine will be a complete freebie, I really can't complain.

Luckily, I have not suffered the horrible fate of using VS .NET. At school, I'm programming in Java and only require JCreator. As long as we don't get into J#, I think I'm good for now.

I'm still contemplating what to do with my copy when I get it later tonight. Cup coasters sound like a good idea. And I gotta burn that .NET framework poster. Eck! Seriously, I may hold onto it or give it to one of my PC using friends.

5. applekid macrumors 68020

Well, I decided to write a follow up.

I got my VS .NET Academic copy on 2 or 3 discs and another disc called
    the Prerequisite, or something like that. Oh, and I got a lovely
    stress ball where the MS VS. NET logo is rubbing off nicely and an
    expanding frisbee made of silicone or something. And I did get a VS .NET t-shirt.

That was a long and horrendously boring presentation. But, it was more because they stayed on one category of the Imagine Cup forever. There's a visual 3D gaming category where you code the AI for a game called Project Hoshimi using an SDK for VS .NET :( I may enter it with some of my PC using friends though. The $8,000 prize looks good to me.

The first presenter wasn't too hot. He read too much off of the PowerPoint slides or was getting ahead of himself many times. He also didn't know where some of his files were. He's supposed to be some sort of director in the area, but must have not been too familiar with the Imagine Cup. They sent a guy from Seattle that knew what he was talking about and probably should've presented that portion.

Anyways, that guy from Seattle was a representative of the Microsoft Development Network Academic Alliance. He was trying to recruit a few kids for Student Ambassadors. Now here's the kicker, Microsoft throws money and gifts and other sorts of bribes to these student ambassadors to talk about .NET to their peers! We also had a Student Ambassador that oversees all of the local student ambassadors. He's a University of Maryland College Park student and was going on and on about the benefits. A quick list of benefits for these student ambassadors: Any book from the MS library, free gift cards after accomplishing a presentation, a free trip to Redmond for conferences, and any sort of presentation equipment that these kids ask for (including laptops, projectors, freebies, etc.). Now, if you're head of these Student Ambassadors, you get a nice year end gift such as an X-Box, or in the case of that UMCP student, a Tablet PC. All of the PC nerds/MS lackeys in that room were going wild at this point. It was just disgusting.

I was in awe of how much money Microsoft is throwing at these kids.

My conclusion from that presentation is either I or someone else has to create a local Mac Users Group in my area for high students to learn more about software development through the Mac. I'm going to write an e-mail to Apple to consider promoting the Mac as a development platform and also making MUGs appeal to high school students. Apple can definitely go far with MUGs for high school students by showing off iLife and even its pro apps. Or perhaps Apple should something more than MUGs to attract high schoolers. Whatever it has to be done to get Apple to use it muscle to attract high schoolers to the Mac early on and take down Microsoft's user groups.

6. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

From Imagine Website:

I just have a strange feeling this is just a giant talent search for MS. That and letting someone find a good idea for them... its pretty evi-er smart.

7. rhix macrumors newbie

rhix

I've already got the shirt! :p

Last weekend I participated at the regional ACM programming competition in Lincoln Nebraska. Yadda yadda yadda, my school got spanked. Anyhow, Microsoft was a huge sponsor for this event, the prizes were mainly VS.NET Academic and books relating to it. They were also promoting the Imagine Cup, and gave away some decent looking t-shirts with to everyone who participated in the ACM competition. They also gave use a bunch of information about the Imagine Cup in dead tree form.

I think something like Imagine Cup has its place, but I don't like that it's Microsoft that's doing it, and that they basically require you to use their technologies to turn your idea into a reality. Judging from what I saw at the competition, I doubt I'm alone with that feeling. We had the choice of using Windows or SuSE Linux. I only saw one team using Windows. Wow, good job MS, your IDE got beat out by vim/gcc for a college level programming competition.

Then there's the other competition I went to where we were forced to use VS, and it failed when it came to matter.

Me, I'll keep the t-shirt (hey, it's actually not that bad looking and doesn't have Microsoft anywhere on it), but won't consider participating in their little competition.

8. applekid macrumors 68020

You must've gotten a nice t-shirt, then. I got some white short-sleeve t-shirt with the MSDNAA logo and text on a few places and some yellow-orange pattern on the front. *shudders just looking at it*

My frisbee and stress ball have MS logos, but they are the two best MS products I have ever used. Especially the stress ball because the logo rubs off! :D

9. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I know this won't go over well, but who gives a sh.... I wouldn't participate in a MS-centric event to save my soul. Do something open source, just to piss MS off.