The 2006 Bahrain GP Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGav, Mar 10, 2006.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Finally... what looks like the most promising and competitive F1 season for years has finally gotten underway with first and second practices. :D

So far, Ferrari are looking very strong, with Schumacher being the fastest of the race drivers, and looking very competitive and consistant over his laps.

The Honda in the hands of Davidson is looking very handy as well, though obviously benefitting from running a 3rd car, and therefore not being limited by the engine regulations... but Honda are still expected to be fighting for the championships if pre-season form is anything to go by.

Wurz pace in the Williams, appears to confirm that Williams could be the surprise team, I've read comments in the F1 press that rank the Cosworth V8 as being the most powerful on the grid, and if Williams have sorted their chassis, they could surprise... (likely race wins, probably not a championship challenge though)... still the dark horse IMHO. ;)

Renault continue to sit out first practice, and only participate during the second session, undoubtedly showing a high degree of confidence in their car and ability to be able to dial in and set it up with only minimal track time.

Surprisingly (or unsurprisingly depending on how you look at it) Toro Rosso are looking very competitive, with Liuzzi nailing 6th... :eek: what's the chances on the FIA further limiting the V10 should they be as competitive come qualifying tomorrow??? :p maybe you should have kept that speed hidden until the race boys. :p

McLaren look to be struggling... though Kimi was 3rd fastest in first practice, an electrical problem side lined him for session 2, hopefully the problem is an easy fix... that won't neccesitate an engine change and the subsequent grid penalty. I want to see him fighting from the start. :)

Toyota look to be way off the pace... which is surprising considering they were the first to launch their '06 car back in November. Though obviously... this is only practice, and as such it's impossible to gauge performance yet, but I would've expected them to be closer to the front regardless.

So here we are then... F1 2006. :D

Practice report

Times at a glance

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I wonder if Michael Jackson will be in attendance.

As for the F1, it's the only motor-sport I can tolerate, so I'm looking forward to it.

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've heard rumblings that Montoya's car may require a new engine...so they're getting an early start on their usual form.

I've also read that STR's "detuned" V10 may in fact be the most powerful on the grid...not too surprising considering it was (I think) the most powerful last year as well, and now is up against smaller engines. I'm still praying for a Scott Speed podium. ;) :eek:

Ferrari looks fast again...I think we'll have more competition this season definitely. I'm going to have to get up at 6am to watch quali tomorrow - 6am on a Saturday!

...and Super Aguri is definitely going to be the new Minardi, Taku is 6 seconds off the pace. Of course, we know he'll be bringing up the rear but will he finish or crash into one of the leaders? :p

EDIT: Looks like Kimi won't need an engine change, but this IS only practice...lets see if he makes it TO the race with the original lump. Who knows? He might even finish!

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

afaik the v10 are limited at 16k while some of the V8 are already at 19k and the cosworth already being at 19,5k ...

somebody said that the limited v10 are faster in the corners but lacks high end speed on the straights.. Berger said that since they were testing there they already have their setup completed for the race and are at final speed

red bull themselves were saving tires and didn't push the engines because they have never put them trough a whole racing distance

and Wurz did around 45 laps compared to the single digit lap numbers of some other teams

pretty much everthing is open ..ferrari looks fast.. so does honda

5. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

If Ferrari, Honda, McLaren and Renault are as close as are expected, and if the gremlins keep themselves to themselves, potentially we could have a proper 3-4 way battle for the title, that'd be something. :cool:

Yeah, he was complaining about being several Km/h slowing in a straight line and has been complaining about lack of pull, though Ron Dennis has rejected his claims for a replacement engine.

hahahahaha... 6am and those weird new quali rules, you won't know WTF's going on. hahahahaha.

I was reading the same, the extra torque is supposed to be the advantage when exiting the corners, I suspect that a V10 is the engine to have at Monaco then.

In other news, Ferrari have signed up to a revised testing agreement with the rest of the teams.

Rinky dink link

What will Ferrari haters bitch about now??? they don't have the biggest budget... they don't cover the most miles in testing... etc etc. heh.

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm curious to see whether the STR engine really can give the team an advantage - but if it does they will be quickly neutered, I think.

You know, in retrospect it seems like having more than one tire supplier is a bad thing...I guess I'm glad Michelin is pulling out (especially after last year's debacle).

3 or 4 teams battling it out all season would really be great for everybody - the teams, the fans, the sport in general.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

IT'S ABOUT ****ING TIME!

Now I just need to wait for April ;) Go Sox!
    Anyways, no surprise that Super Aguri is at the bottom of the time sheet.

8. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Damn right fella. :D

although aren't they closer than you expected??? I think so.

they should be much quicker when they get the '05 BAR-Honda for the European season. heh.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Did they definitively rule that it was OK for Super Aguri to buy old chassis yet?

If Super Aguri proves to be reliable, they may actually score some points due to retirements. That's setting the bar a bit low, but wouldn't it be hilarious if they scored a point with an Arrows....:rolleyes:

10. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

'TIS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY
    LALALALLALLAA
    LALALLALLLAAAAAA!!!

11. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

Highlight below if you don't want "spoilers"...

Or not if you're not a Ferrari fan.:(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4795960.stm

Looks like Mclaren are starting where they finished off - haven't seen the actual highlights tho'.

--End spoiler--

:eek:

mofs

12. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Contains Qualifying Spoilers...

Not as fair as I'm aware, but considering how much they've changed the old Arrows, I suspect they should be able to make fundamental changes to the old BAR design to make it legal. :p

Either that, or Honda are essentially designing it for them from this years chassis, and making changes to that. They're still far more competitive than I imagined though. :eek:

So then... quali finished, and I'm torn... I really enjoyed the first 2 sessions, lots of action in those but the final session is just absolute @*&£%^*@(&@%£$&@!!! :rolleyes:

First up... congratulations to Schumacher for not only pole, but also equalling Ayrton Senna's record of 65 pole positions. I know that back when Senna was racing, that seemed like a record that would never be equalled, much like Fangio's previous WDC record, but what more can say...

Looks like Ferrari are back anyway... :D with Massa looking like he's going to be a more competitive teammate than Barrichello.

Button did well to take 3rd, I expected Honda to go well... but I'm puzzled by Barrichello's performance all the same.

I expected Renault and Alonso to snatch pole, they've been the stars of winter testing, but a mistake on one of his hot laps, and an engine problem for Fisco have seen them line up in 4th and 9th respectively.

McLaren had a mixed session, Montoya's been complaining about his engine all weekend, and never looked like challenging for the front row. Yet again though Kimi suffers an attack of the reliability gremlins during the first session when a wishbone failed, causing the rear wing to fail and sent him spinning off track, and because of the new qualifying rules, he'll start from the back of the grid after not being allowed to participate in the rest of qualifying.

Webber in the Williams put in a sound lap to get ahead of a Renault, I expected them to be a little closer to the front though... Rosberg on his debut spinning on one of his hotlaps ending his opportunity to improve his time.

I'm still stunned by Toyota's lack of pace... :confused: I expected them and Honda to be very competitive, and even Trulli couldn't qualify any higher than 14... it'll be interesting to see how Toyota respond, or if they can.

Anyway...the final starting grid looks like this.

<edit>Removed so as not to spoil results.

Thoughts?

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah.. i was expecting more from toyata as well (and their 400 mio)

alonso perhaps had a little bad luck with his fastest lap being in the 2. heat (which was best overall). in the last one i suspect they were driving with more fuel than ferrari

and for montoya lacking speed.. according to RTL they had a problem with the transmission ratio choosen wrong

STR clearly showed that they are faster than super aguri and midland.. it's pretty obvious that the doubled-tripled budget is pushing them a lot

14. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

mm iGav - even tho' you removed the final grid you still left the bits where you say everyone finished in the main text!:p

The big question is whether everyone up front is on lighter loads than those behind. Ferrari last year ran light in qualifying in order to qualify higher up, but then fell behind during the race - not just due to the tyres either. I can't believe that Toyota with their budget could have goofed up their car - Mike Gascoyne is one of the best deisigners, along with Newey and Brawn.

15. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I know... as I posted mine, I saw yours... then opted to remove the grid, but add a spoiler warning to the top of my post (actually I'll bold that in a sec) so hopefully anyone that views the thread, will notice that and ignore my post. heheh.... I couldn't be bothered to edit the rest of my post though. :)

Well... Schu did 12 laps I think in the final session, Renault did 14 so Schu has at least 12 laps of fuel in the car, probably 15-18. Though I suspect Renault are a bit heavier, though not by much.

Not sure whether you saw it or not, but Ross Brawn said afterwards that they had 2 strategies, an agressive one and a more conservative one and that they had chosen the latter so as not to compromise their race. :D

Toyota are puzzling aren't they... though I read a f'in hilarious quote on one of the F1 forums that unless Toyota are competitive soon, then they'll do what they always do... either take their ball and go home, or cheat. hahahahaha.

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Missed watching quali, had a little drinkt last night and there was NO WAY I was getting up at 6am...:eek: :(

Shades of '05 - Kimi's car breaks and forces him to the back of the grid, Fisi's engine has trouble...

...Then again, Ferrari is back with a vengeance. Massa is fast, I think he had a chance a pole.

This promises to be a very good race!

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

as far as i have seen it they were pumping in for like 6 seconds which are roughly 20 laps (at least those guys on TV said that) in the ferrari .. so it's not far off

i'm pretty sure that nearly all teams are playing save a little in the first races ... after all not every team has put their engines through a whole racing distance or even two weekends

lol .. yeah i really wonder where all the money actually goes ... their car hasn't proven to be very fast yet and they were the first to present it.. perhaps they are coming from the back of the grid a few times because of a reliability advantage

edit: about massa.. he actually was on pole time on one lap but he was unlucky stuck behind fisi
    (or at least he said so).. he is more aggressive than schuhs former teammate ... that's for sure.. i'm sure the competition will help both

18. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

don't blame you... I wouldn't. ;)

you didn't miss much, the first 2 sessions were quite cool, the 3rd though... just pointless, cars driving round a track doing average times for 15 minutes, dive into the pits, new set of boots and 5 minutes of action.

Really... they should just go back to 12 laps, 4 sets of rubber, unlimited fuel and you have to do 4 runs, with one run every 15 minutes. Much easier to understand. :D

His luck sucks that's for sure... it's a shame that he's already on the back foot... though it's more likely to persuade him to sign on the dotted line for Ferrari, if he hasn't already of course. heh.

I suspect he'll be in around 18, if he gets to the first corner first, I'm expecting him to just nail it for those laps. :D

It was push and shove between Mass and Fisco... Brundle was of the opinion that Massa got a good tow from Fisco from the last corner, though it was very close.

I'm expecting Massa to pit a couple of laps earlier though. ;)

19. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i think they could improve it quite easily with doing finally away with the fuel tactic rubberish.. make it unlimited fuel and perhaps 15 minutes for the last heat... that way you don't get the ridiculous driving the fuel out of the tank.. sure perhaps a little bit more tactics but 15 isn't that much for pulling a few fast laps
    using the same amount of fuel in training as for the race is idiotic...

(i always was kinda siding with porsches "the ideal racing car has to cross the finishing line first and then fell apart")

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It seems simple to come up with a qualifying procedure - the object is to lay down the fastest lap to get pole.... but WHERE in that equation does fuel fit in? :confused: Why do we need to car about fuel during quali when it's already a huge factor in the race? from what I've read the new format is a bit more exciting but they're still fooling around with running fuel-heavy cars. Why?

I'd like to hear what Max/Bernie think about that notion.

21. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

what channel is formula one on in the united states? these threads always make it sound interesting but i've never seen a race...:confused:

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The Speed Channel on cable. Race is live at 6am, re-broadcast at 12:30pm. Several races will be broadcast on network TV this year as well (not tomorrow's though).

EDIT: A great race! Kimi has another superhuman drive to rescue a weekend that began disastrously. Just imagine were he'd be if his car hadn't destroyed itself yesterday...

Williams looks really strong, how about Rosberg's charge in his first GP? But again Renault had a great car and Alonso held Schumi off for the win. I'll bet we'll see Michael and Kimi win some races this year - it looks like a three-way fight for sure.

23. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Not a bad way to start the season... not a bad way at all. :D

Great duel between Schumacher and Alonso over the whole race :eek: sooooooo evenly matched too, which bodes well for the rest of the season. :D

And Kimi, hahahahaha.... starts last and finishes 3rd only 18 seconds behind??? incredible stealthy drive... :eek: really good to see him on the podium though, that keeps things nice and tight that's for sure, the 3 best drivers on the podium, it's conceivable that should reliabilty allow, those 3 guys are so much better (quicker, more consistant etc) than the rest, that we might just see each race with different podium permutations of those 3 drivers!!! :eek: :D

Button drove a really good race too, with the Honda looking very good on the straights and especially under breaking! Looks like he's more focused this year!

Sensational debut by Nico too... :eek: pukka comeback after having to pit on the first lap for a new nose cone, and some outstanding overtaking moves on Coulthard. Williams looking very strong though... as expected.

And we've got Maylasia coming up this weekend too!! :D

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I have to say that I've sort of given up on Button - he's obviously a talented driver but I can't see him driving on the same level as Schumi/Kimi/Alonso. With that triumvirate on the track his chances of winning races seem to be shrinking....Could Button, for instance, have equalled Kimi's comeback? I don't think so.

If we reall do have a three-way fight this will be the best season in years. Not to mention that besides Ferrari, Renault and McLaren teams like Honda and Williams look to be strong enough for podiums.

I'm still rooting for Scot Speed of course....I want to see some points finishes and a podium this season. He will not be another Michael Andretti, I think. :rolleyes:

25. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Despite airing at 10:30PM (half an hour after the actual start), I resisted the temptation of watching it on the 'net and am pretty glad. That was some good racing. Let's hope it's a sign of what's to come this season. :cool:

Oh, and I love the upstarts from Williams and Ferrari respectively, adding their randomness to the game.