The 400 Richest Americans #49 Steven Paul Jobs

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Sep 22, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Meh. Maybe he's got enough to spare some for charity now? Or does he already do that?

3. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

4. macrumors 68020

I don't think Steve Jobs has to give to charity considering that Bill Gates is technically doing it for him.

5. macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Why should he give to charity? WHY? His own money, to scum? He pays taxes, I'm sure!

6. Moderator emeritus

devilot

So people who that charities give to are scum? I have to say that I disagree with that statement and sentiment.

7. macrumors 603

solvs

Wow... really? God forbid anything ever happen to you where you need help. Actually Jobs does give money, he just doesn't publicize it as much as others. Unlike Paul Allen, who has always seemed pretty generous, Gates didn't start giving money until his wife and parents convinced him he should. He used to be criticized for being stingy, but his money does do a lot of good now. He still doesn't tip though. :rolleyes:

Also nice to see the rich are getting richer, while the rest of us... well, not so much.

8. macrumors 65816

plinkoman

you're joking, right?

9. macrumors 68020

I admire the wealthy that give money to charity but don't stick it into our faces. Lindsay Lohan gave a bunch of money to the Red Cross during Katrina and she didn't make a big to-do about it whereas Hillary Duff made sure that every last person knew that she had given $250k to them.

10. macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    Maybe to go with the bleeding heart liberal routine. He doesn't want to be part of the evil rich elite, does he?

11. macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

I dunno about him, but I do.

12. macrumors 6502

MattDell

13. macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

He does but he has expansive stock / investment payment plans :p

14. macrumors regular

woah i had no idea that he owned pixar... dang.

15. macrumors regular

He did, and now he is the largest shareholder of Disney.

16. macrumors 603

solvs

Largest single owner. He doesn't own a majority stock though. Just to clarify.

17. macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

To help those less fortunate perhaps? It gives most people a sense of well-being.
    Exactly, and a lot of that is to avoid paying tax, (something I don't agree with personally). He gets lots of "gifts" from Apple instead, mainly stock options.

18. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

He only has 120,000 shares of vested options. The vast majority of his Apple stock (about 5.5 million shares) was in the form of a stock grant that vested this past spring. This is most definitely taxable...he was actually awarded 10 million shares back in 2003, but essentially had Apple withhold 4.5 million of them to pay the taxes on the grant when it vested.

19. macrumors regular

ripfrankwhite

Steve Jobs just seems so cool, and to be so wealthy. Good for him. Definately my favorite rich guy.

20. macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    Doesn't he still have to pay taxes on gifts? We get a lot of gifts at my job (nothing on the level of what Steve gets) and we are taxed on them. If I get anything from a watch to a new car, it appears on my paystub under "gifts and awards". And, when the company pays the income tax for us, we are taxed again on the income tax that the company paid.

Just to clarify, you want to be rich, evil, elite, or some combination of those?

21. macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

From Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs
    Perhaps I should have said "minimises paying tax".

22. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The Wikipedia article is incorrect...or it's actually incomplete as it doesn't address his 10 million grant. Restricted stock grants such as Steve's 10 million shares are taxed as ordinary income on the day they vest, which is why he had to have Apple withhold 45% of it for taxes.

Stock options are taxed at the lower capital gains rate, but outright stock grants are treated income.