The 4400 - Season 3

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by clayj, Jun 11, 2006.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Hey, did anyone else watch this show tonight? I missed the first two seasons, but "caught up" with the show a few nights ago when USA ran a special outlining the show so far.

I thought it was pretty good... interesting to see how the normal humans are able to work with (and against) the supernormal 4400 who were kidnapped over a span of 50+ years and then all returned at the same time. Some of the abilities are pretty clichéd (precog, healer, telepath, etc.), but some of them (ability to inspire people to go into a rage) are pretty interesting. It's also pretty interesting to see how a society would adapt to the presence of super-powerful humans.

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I've been watching this thing since Season 1. Awesome barely describes it. It's on again right now - but I think I'll head off to bed pretty soon.

It's kinda weird that now there's no official good guy. Just the main regulars who are caught in the middle of this "war."

It's sooo awesome how Tom's girlfriend can take him into alternate realities. I wouldn't complain if mine could do that.

I also like how all the 4400s are getting powers now. And how they're getting stronger. Can't wait until next Sunday :)

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

It could be said that many girlfriends have this power :D

On topic, is season one on DVD? I think I'm going to pick it up and check it out for myself now that Lost has ended for the summer. I saw part of a rerun episode this afternoon and it whet my appetite. :D

4. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Seasons 1 and 2 are on DVD and pretty sweet pricing too...under 30 per set.

I love this show...I finally saw the season 3 premiere tonight. One thing that I really enjoy is that they aren't afraid to push forwards with the parallels and reminders of the world we are in, afraid of terrorism, afraid of difference, etc. The fact that they not only weave in a great deal of post 9/11 fear, but did it purposefully (see the extras on the season 2 dvd for more) makes me really respond even more to the plotlines and gives me hope that the show will be able to maintain the creative wave it is on.

For anyone who watched the season 3 opener:

What do you think Matthew told Isabelle about who she is, and how did he know that?

5. mpw Guest

Is that raelly an unusual ability? There's a good chance I've, unknowingly, been return by aliens if it is.

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

ummm, people from the future duuuuh

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I also got into this show during that catch up thing USA ran. I am tempted to go pick up the first two seasons and catch up.

8. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Theories...

Warning: This post contains spoilers and speculation about season 3. Please be aware.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So I have a few theories about the 4400, I am curious if anyone thinks we'll see something like this play out over the next season.

1) The future humans were not united, and some of the people who were taken and/or some of the influences involved were not all on the same page about how the 4400 would reintegrate. See the plague-bearing 4400, kyle's possession by an assassin, the 4400 terrorists, Isabelle's concerns following her conversation with Matthew about choosing good and evil.

2) I think Tom and/or Diana will end up leaving NTAC if they continue on this "Gov't vs 4400" plotline...I could see them heading up an investigative or security force on behalf of the 4400 center. It just seems like they'll reach a point where there's a clear conflict of interest, with Alena and Maia and Shawn and all.

3) The assassin/future human inside Kyle; is it really gone?

9. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Thanks for the thread guys!
    I didn't know they had made a new season of this!
    WOOHOO!!!

Can I just check that Season 2 final scene - was with the trees bending as they drove off down the road?
    (Just want to check I didn't miss any older episodes!)

10. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

i don't remember that scene...did you see the storyline with the promicin disease get resolved? Where "mommy's bosses" are exposed as the bad guys (ish)?*

*from the start of season 2, maia's diary: "Mommy's bosses will be punished for betraying us.

11. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I just watched the Unlocking The Secrets special...
    which I presume aired as a recap prior to the new season starting.

Bought it all back to me!
    Trees bending was at the end of Season 1 - or as we saw it here in Aust - at the end of the mini series...

Season 2 - all came back with the recap. There was lots of footage I didn't recall from Season 1 even... but was great to bring me back up to speed.
    Can't wait to watch the first few to see where it goes this season!

12. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

We are already through the first two episodes, so I won't ruin it for you.

Pretty good episodes so far, but you can see where the lines are starting to get drawn. Even the 4400 themselves are unsure where they stand in this whole drama.

Some new powers are starting to appear, although I'm pretty sure they've only scratched the surface.

Good Stuff...

Certainly a good fill in since LOST is now off season!

Mike...

13. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I gather the first episode is actually No 1 and No 2.

Watched No 3 now... and am quite hooked again.
    Admittedly though with the US summer there isn't much else being viewed at the moment I gather?
    Most major season are on break it seems.

14. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

AAAAAAAAAAAH!!

I hate cliffhangers.

Partly because I find that Maia has become part walking contrivance/plot point expose and part character, I am a bit annoyed with myself for being this into the ep.

And partly because WE ARE SO CLOSE TO FIND OUT ANSWERS and I just want to know now if that's a lie or we'll really get somewhere.

GRRR.

In all seriousness hands down one of the best episodes they've had. Hope the next part lives up to that.

15. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

I really love the fact that they have Isabelle walking around in her undies (or less!) much of the time. :D

16. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

No complaints here either.

So, I have a theory on how they might be able to fix what went down in "Gone 1" when "Gone 2" airs next week...go to spoilerfix.com, under other shows, and read the spoiler for next week. I think the 4400 of the week might be helpful in undoing this; maybe i'm being too hopeful in the creativity of this show, but they go and pull an episode like tonight out and I am all types of optimistic for next week.

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Well I never got around to watching the previous seasons, but my Tivo automatically recorded last week's episode and I'm totally hooked. I just set up a season pass. :D

I regret not having seen the earlier episodes, but after a little reading online I'm pretty well caught up. This is exciting. Now there are 3 things I'm interested in watching on TV: hockey, Lost and the 4400. :p

18. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Well it's almost the end of the season, so I thought I'd see where everyone's thoughts were on the show.

(Warning: Some spoilers if you haven't seen the whole season yet)

Personally, I think this has been the best season yet. Sharply written, and they've maintained continuity over a story arc and built in and closed out old arcs without it feeling too contrived. This is tough under any circumstances and when you're trying to mix in a vaguely defined time travel theory it can make anyone's brain hurt. Aside from a few small things in "Gone, PT 2" I think they did a fantastic job. (Re: Gone PT2: Lunar Colonies? Synthetic Oil? Nah, give us the kiddies.)

I am sooo looking forward to the last episode, although I wonder what will get left as a cliffhanger and what will get resolved. My guess is that we may be seeing the last of Ryland, either because Isabelle is sick of him or NOVA takes him out. I just think the character is losing his purpose, outside of spouting lots of anti-4400 rhetoric to anyone and everyone in sight. Jordan Collier gives me the willies, and I am developing a theory that the "bad people" who sent Isabelle might have felt she wasn't going fast enough and interfered with Collier's death. The thing is, we know the good future people aren't shy about screwing up people's lives, so we have no proof that the person inside Kyle was BAD. Just the conjecture of everyone that assassination is bad. But so is kidnapping. And, frankly, messing with people's genetics. Hasn't stopped the "good" side yet.

I guess we'll see next week, and then have to wait until next summer (!) to find out more. Gah. This coming week better be worth it. Mommy's Bosses certainly was...and left us with the overarching cliffhanging arc of the gov't trying to kill people but still resolved the story at hand. It's hard to see what can get done in one hour next week, but we'll see...

19. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Sides...

I think they did a great job weaving in characters introduced in the past into the current story line. For a while it looked like the show was going to just introduce a few new characters each week and become a boring repetitive mess.

I think the whole Shawn / Collier split could make for a 3 way battle, good, evil and ????. At this point, you really don't know who's good and who's evil as the situation has started to change with Colliers return.

Looking forward to the season finale.

Mike...

20. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I believe that was actually season 1, because I remember seeing that and I'm pretty sure I only saw season 1. I've seen parts of season 2 and I'm so lost during it all.

21. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, Season 3 has been pretty much of a letdown - until they brought Jordan back.

22. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

I'm assuming that everyone has, by now, noticed that Jordan Collier's initials are J.C.... same as John Connor (The Terminator series) and Jesus Christ.

23. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

I must be the only person who's sick to ****ing death of the "J.C." thing. One of the reasons I respect the Matrix is that they didn't pull that ****.

24. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Tonights episode was interesting. I'm glad Isabelle lost her powers, though I assume that she is going to try to get them back with the shots freely available now.

25. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I've seen this advertised on Sky One. (UK)

Never even watched an episode, might when it re-starts.

Really into D. Housewives, Nip/Tuck and my favourite... **!!Supernatural!!** at the moment.. :D