The 4th annual "horrible Christmas decorations" thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

(Well, all right, it's only the first year I'm posting the subject here. I've done it three other years at previous forums, though, so if you have a problem with that, just be grateful that I've brought my business here. :D )

Anyway.

This is just an invite to rip your neighbors' lousy Christmas decorations.

You know...the giant, lit-up, inflatable Frosty. Or those godawful projectors people shine on their garage doors. Or the giant plastic candy canes that they use to line their driveways.

We've got one guy in our town who every year sets up a giant outdoor manger scene, replete with internally-lit people. Trouble is, the guy went a little nuts with his display. He doesn't seem to realize there were only three shepherds. He's got something that looks like the entire cast of "Spartacus" out there. A dozen shepherds, two or three Josephs....

Then, of course, there are the people who string 100,000 lights on their house in an attempt to simulate the Las Vegas strip, keep their neighbors awake all night, and crash the local electric company's power grid. :rolleyes:

So g'head...tell us about your neighbors who go either tacky or overboard with their Christmas decorations.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Not a neighbour's but probably some of the most expensive! I nominate the main Oxford St lights in London. It's the main shopping drag in the biggest city in the UK and it has big archways, made out of black painted plywood, on every other block with scaffolding sticking out of the top and 3 laser/floodlights that can be pointed in various directions and in various colours into the night sky. It looks like a dodgy nightclub not the main Christmas decorations!

On the other hand, the ones in Regent St with snowflakes and movie characters are Incredible! :)

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

4. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I have to say that I really can't stand the "reef in every window" thing. Like, it's nice to see a few, but these very generic fake-looking reefs in EVERY window of uniform size are VERY annoying.

My other neighbor has lights outside of the house and is kind enough to leave them up through FEBRUARY.

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

[​IMG]

There. Happy? ;)

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yeah, I hate it when those scuba divers come back from the Keys with illegal stashes of protected reefs just to throw them in their windows for Christmas! ;)

Of course, I don't really like the proliferation of Christmas wreaths either.

Having said that, our across-the-park neighbor recently discontinued (thank you) his Christmas tradition. Not only did he have hundreds of plastic toy soldiers, elves, Santas, candy-canes, etc., he also blared Christmas music through external speakers all day. Ouch.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Ah, yes, christmas decorations. :mad:

My neighbors compete with each other. On one side it's Christmas with the Kranks, on the other it's National Lampoon's Christmas. Last year the one fell off the roof, and the other caught his bushes on fire with some bad wiring (the idiot had plugged a computer power strip into an outdoor outlet and plugged all his lights into it...). But they've got it all, the inflatable stuff, the lights, projectors, goofy plastic figures. Their meters must be spinning like a top.

What happened to CHRISTmas? I hate to sound preachy (and apologise for the rant), but the holiday has been viciously ravished by the commercial sector, and it becomes more apparent every year.

Personally I'd just prefer to get it all out in the open: a 12-foot high dollar sign strung with lights on my front lawn, next to a 12-foot middle finger strung with lights.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

No, I would actually like to see some examples of Christmas decorations that are in poor taste. Then we could have an actual discussion about them. :D

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

This thread from a UK forum has a couple pictures of when things go too far.

Nice or Naff. a funny expression to these 'Merican ears.

10. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Now THAT I'd like to see! :) And yeah I agree about the CHRISTmas comment. I'm not religious and don't celebrate Christmas in the religious sense, and most of my friends don't either, so I think we need to call it something else, so we can distinguish people who celebrate Christmas, and those who celebrate "Christmas."

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

12. OryHara macrumors regular

Im an atheist, and even I hate how people "Celebrate" the birth of their lord by spending hundreds of dollars to keep me up with their damn blinding lights. :mad:

13. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

:D good point

14. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

So you say "Tenmas"? :p

15. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

For the most part, I really like seeing all the Christmas lights. My wife and I bought our first house this past summer, so I've been excited to finally put up my own lights. It's been kind of a dream of mine since I was a kid. I figure I'll start out reasonable the first year and keep on adding each year (just got back from the store with a bunch for this year - hopefully they'll look pretty decent). 10 years from now I'll be the guy that had to wire in 10 new circuits and has a $1000 electric bill in December. :D

Speaking of that Grinch picture up above, here's a recent news story to go with that and the subject of this thread. I hope none of you are like those crabby neighbors... :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

16. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    some of the pictures on that link are just TACKY

17. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Okay, so while we're on the subject of horrible neighbors:

We have our annual holiday party at my house and our neighbors from across the street whom we secretly don't really like but simultaneously treat kindly were invited - they didn't RSVP at all, and they showed up to the party - 2 hours late. I think they kind of discounted the invitation as unimportant, saw all of the cars, and threw something on. How rude.

18. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    in dallas theres a display thats always p/o'd me ( which isn't easy to do near christmas...).

every year on armstrong pkwy in highland park, considered the nicest street in the wealthiest neighborhood, there is a manger scene that has santa kneeling down by baby jesus. yep, good ole saint nick among the wise men, sheep, joseph and mary.

it would be perfect if they had santa's sleigh parked next to the camels...

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I dislike the term Xmas, takes away the real meaning. To me it is Christmas, Merry Christmas. I don't like it that the secularist are trying to ruin this holiday by imtimidation.

20. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

21. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Attached Files:

22. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Another great one:

Attached Files:

23. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

My aunt's house in Hawaii was actually on HGTV's Extreme Christmas last year. It's pretty darn tacky, but they came off as being relatively restrained compared to some of the featured homes! I still can't believe they invite strangers into their house at Christmas time. My aunt is very sick this year, so I'm not sure they're going to do it again this time around.

My personal pet peeve is those giant internally lit inflatable thingies. I don't mind all the elaborate strings of lights, but somehow a 15-foot inflatable Santa seems like "cheating."

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Hey, what are you saying? Used to live in a high-rise building that was predominately Jewish. Lived on the top floor. One Christmas I put up about 750 to 1000 lights on our balcony. A friend of mine joked that I might end up with a 737 in the living room from a wayward pilot. :eek:

25. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Classic

Griswold's house!

One of my favorite top ten christmas movies... (new thread coming)