The 5 Best and Worst iPods of All Time

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Sep 24, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Apple Hardware
    Link: The 5 Best and Worst iPods of All Time
    Description:: Apple has released no less than 104 different capacity and color combinations of its iconic media player. Among all those models, however, there are bound to be a few that stand out among the sea of white, for better or worse. Check out our list of the 5 best -- and worst -- iPods ever.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors G3

Kilamite

The current iPod Nano 4G should be in place of the 3G - the 3G is just too fiddly, and of course the 4G has the accelerometer for going sideways.

Don't agree with the 7G iPod Classic being in the Worst section either - how they come to the conclusion that the 1,2 and 3G iPod's rank better than the 7G iPod Classic is beyond me! They made a huge part in forming the iPod's now, but to put the new Classic on the Worst section...come on!

3. macrumors regular

As with most lists, this one is subjective, but really --- what's so great about the 7G classic? Less gigabytes, no accelerometer and no design changes. Pretty bland, if you ask me.

4. macrumors G3

Kilamite

What's so great about the 1,2 or 3G iPod's that makes them better than the 7G Classic?

It is a sleek, thin, full colour screen and video playback iPod, and now has the Genius feature (which I know, Apple could implement for the rest of them) too.

And why isn't the iPod Touch on there either? The original iPod's are better than the Touch in their view?!

5. macrumors 68040

The iPod Touch is the best iPod, scratch that, music player ever produced.

6. macrumors 65816

Rojo

I think they were going for which models ended up being a vast improvement over the previous models (and the first gen thrown in there, because...well it's the 1st!). That's why they're placing older generations above the latest 7G -- which frankly isn't all that much better than it's predecessor.

However, the list still seems off to me. And no Touch? That seems very wrong to me...

7. macrumors 6502a

The list isn't what is the best now, but in context of history. Of course nobody would buy a 3G today - it's outdated. But the 3G update was amazing, and added so much to the iPod (a lot of it - like the dock connector or AAC - remaining today).

That said, I don't think the iPod Classic is so bad either.

8. macrumors regular

It's a matter of evolution, and the 1G, 2G and 3G were major leaps forward, rather than design improvements or software tweaks. You'd argue that Genius playlists are more important to the iPod's development than Windows support? The 7G iPod is a perfectly fine release, just not a groundbreaking one. I mean, it didn't even get its own press release.

9. macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

the ipod touch is what brought me away from apple's competitors. good sound, gapless, heaps of space, great battery life: this list is ongoing.

10. macrumors regular

Well, the touch merely followed the iPhone's lead and didn't actually break any ground of its own.

11. macrumors 65816

I would have to say that the iPod touch is actually one of the best iPods - sure it came after the iPhone but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be included as a separate model.

12. macrumors regular

maclovin'

The iPhone's purpose wasn't a music player though....it was a phone that happened to have some functionality as a music player. The iPod touch was designed to be a music player, and it's Apples best music player. As a standalone music player, it broke tons of ground.

13. macrumors 6502a

I liked the iPod mini a lot, but I didn't care for the nano 1G. I thought Apple nailed it with the nano 2G -- it was a mini mini!! I loved both of those aluminum babies!

I had no problem with the iPod 4G. It was a fine machine, until it broke.

All great products. Now I use an iPhone. I don't see why iPhones aren't considered iPods. I mostly use my iPhone as an iPod.

14. macrumors 68000

Brien

I would've put the 3G iPod, 1G iPod, nano, touch/iPhone on the top 5 (along with the mini). Not the 2G (just an evolutionary update), and not the 3G nano.

15. macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

i love that 3G iPod... its beautiful!

16. macrumors 601

Yvan256

As far as music playback is concerned, IMHO, my iPod shuffle easily beats my iPod touch. I can clip my iPod shuffle to my shirt, I don't have to look at it to change the volume or skip tracks, it's pratically weightless and it costs only 55$ CAD. :D

For everything else, however, I prefer my iPod touch (bigger capacity, video playback, Safari, Mail, Google Maps, apps, etc).

17. macrumors 6502a

mathcolo

I love mine too... that's why I still use it to this day:D.

18. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I'd put the Touch up in the "worst" list. Any iPod that gets rid of the clickwheel entirely should either be in the Top 5 Worst, or not called an iPod at all.

19. macrumors 6502

Breegy

Some people like their iPods to do more than play music and videos... Did it ever occur to you that they can make an app that incorporates a fuax-click-wheel on the touch screen? Isn't a real click wheel but goes through music all the same. If you spread the word, maybe one will come around.

Why aren't Touches on the best list? This article fails.

20. macrumors regular

Dejavu

The 3G iPod had 8-hour battery life and buttons on the top which cluttered the aesthetics. It would be considered my worst pick.

BTW. This list is pants. Every new model improves on the former, so I haven't a clue what criteria they are using. The 2G is pretty bad; expensive, molasses UI, crap screen, 10 hour battery life, etc.

21. macrumors 6502

Breegy

I agree. This list makes no sense whatsoever.

22. macrumors newbie

What about the iPod 5G as the 'best iPod ever'. Not only is the black one the best looking iPod ever produced (IMO), but it also introduced video playback to the iPods.

23. macrumors 65816

Galley

The 3G iPod was terrible with its touch-sensitive buttons. I didn't buy my first iPod until the 40GB 4G.

24. macrumors regular

sra. Aguirre

IMHO the worst iPod isn't because of function, but has more to do with form... I DETEST those fat and ugly 3rd Generation nanos......yuck! glad the 4th gen's are sleek and stylish again

25. macrumors G4

Chundles

There is no 7G iPod. The iPod classic (80GB, 160GB) and the new 120GB are all still 6G iPods.