the 50GB on each side disks wont exist...100GB on each will

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Duder, May 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duder macrumors newbie

According to a popular science article I red about a year ago the thing that will replace DVD as the new Storage median is clear plastic and the size of a mini CD/DVD 100GB on each side using the blue laser tech that has finally been perfected... and WHY doesnt apple create vaccums in the computer so they can increase CD/DVD/HD RPM by 3000x imagine being able to write a 5 Exabytes (which is every word that everyone has ever spoken) in 30 days compared to 4000 billion years

2. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    or...

you could look at is as you never have to wait for optical media anymore. use it as a hard drive.....

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Re: the 50GB on each side disks wont exist...100GB on each will

Ummm...thats like me asking WHY can't I overclock my G4 to 1.4GHz and make it work.

The answer? Technology is not ready for it to happen.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Duder, what the F*CK are you on??? Whatever it is, stop using it before you fry your two remaining living brain cells.

You sound like one of the butt-f*ckers that have their car stereos so loud that you can feel the base from 1/4 mile away (deaf, dumb f*ckers).

5. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Alpha!

Bringin the heat!

Now, let me put on my gear...

And where is that ammunition we talked about? ;)

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

muahahahahahahaaaa...considering how the mook hasn't posted a reply, maybe it's gotten a bit smarter... nahhhh that can't be :D

7. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

hahah!

Duder...you best watch out before Alpha and his gang come ridin their hogs up to get ya!

Hey, while we're asing these kind of questions.......

Why do we still use fuels that are hazardous to the environment when the technology exists to generate clean, and unlimited fuel?

8. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Re: hahah!

One word: Money

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: hahah!

And big oil... they won't let it happen... too much is riding on oil production.

How about why do we buy oil from OPEC when we have enough oil produced here in the US to cover our needs??

10. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Re: Re: Re: hahah!

MacAztec....Where are you.....??? I know you got the answer to this one....

11. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I agree

I'd have to agree with AlphaTech. Its just all the "enviroMENTALists" believe that we are dangering the enviroment if we dig for oil.

Its such bull crap. I mean, if they really took the time to SURVEY the AREA, and not the eco-system, we would have sufficient oil.

12. Pelorus macrumors regular

Re: I agree

Heh. It's not really the *digging* that is the problem but the burning and spewing the fumes out. Don't agree? Suck on your exhaust tailpipe for a few minutes.

The real reason to cut down on oil digging and usage is that it's running out. In the near future we may want it for important things due to its scarcity and not just so you can rev your 6 litre at the traffic lights.

Fuel cell based laptops were recently announced in Japan. Surprise surprise.

13. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Re: Re: I agree

really? I wasnt aware of that. Do you have a link to an article or soemthing that I can read about this.....?

And MacAztec, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here buddy....burning oil isnt good. Also, when tankers spill its very bad fo rthe environment....

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: Re: I agree

Thing is, if we didn't get oil from overseas we wouldn't need to use tankers. Between the Alaska pipeline and the refineries in the US, we could ship the stuff all over land. If's a hell of a lot easier to clean up a tanker that flips on the highway then a tanker that spills in the ocean. They could also run pipelines from the Texas oil fields, as well as the others all over the US, to the refineries so that all we would really need to ship is the finished fuel.

When they can produce an alternate fuel engine with the same power/performance as one run on gas, I will consider it. Until then, I will use the vehicles that I have.

15. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Re: Re: Re: I agree

which is exactly why we are seeing more hybrid vehicles being put out by manufacturers...trying to break that barrior and eventually get to a point where we have vehicles that run on something other than fuel...

even if they run half fuel & half oxygen or whatever...it's a big step towards alleviating the problem...

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Can't see them doing the hybrid for motorcycles, at least not with Harley's. :D Which is all I care about at this point... About to bring mine up for it's first service, close to the 1000 mile mark, so in it goes. I will have it back on Saturday, which will be a nice day. Tomorrow they are talking rain, so no biggie. Of course, since I have this week off, I've only had one or two good days (Monday and now today). Figures. Well, I am taking a few around Father's day, so I hope the weather is nice then.

17. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

I just posted this on another thread, but thought since this is just about the only thing on topic in this BS thread, somebody might want to read it here...

DVD-compatible optical disk hits 100 Gbytes

By Mike Clendenin

EE Times
    May 24, 2002 (12:30 p.m. EST)

TAIPEI, Taiwan ˜ Forget about 100-gigabyte portable hard drives ˜ too bulky.
    A physics professor at a leading Taiwanese university has led a group of
    researchers in developing a recordable optical disk capable of packing in
    100 Gbytes of data and slipping into a pants pocket.

That's about 30,000 of your favorite songs, or enough tunes to toe-tap to
    for a few months.

The disk is compatible with today's CD and DVD technology, running off the
    same red laser pick-up heads used in a typical disk player. "That's the most
    attractive part of this technology," said Wang Shyh-Yeu, director of
    research at Ritek Corp., a disk maker that co-funded the study and will
    likely commercialize the disk in 2005 or 2006.

To achieve the 100-Gbyte density target, the research team at National
    Taiwan University, led by professor Tsai Din Ping, used near-field optics ˜
    where the distance used for the interaction of the laser and media is
    shorter than the wavelength of light used to make the recording marks on the
    disk.

Two layers were added to the disk to achieve the near-field effect. The
    first is a transparent dielectric spacing layer, about 20 nanometers to 40
    nanometers thick, which keeps the distance constant in the near field. The
    other layer is an active layer, which will interact with the focus point of
    the laser beam, generate the near-field effect and then transfer the mark to
    the recording layer.

Smaller mark

Using a standard sized disk, 12 centimeters in diameter, the researchers
    drew down the mark size to about 100 nm, less than about 400 nm for today's
    DVDs and 900 nm for CDs. "Even with such a small mark size, we can still
    have about 35 dB on the readout signal," Tsai said. "If you check your DVD
    disk today, the readout range is about the same, from 30 dB to 40 dB. So
    that's a very good result because the mark size is much smaller than 400 nm
    but the carrier-to-noise ratio is still very good. That's not easy."

Japanese companies and university researchers have also been developing
    high-density prototypes. Matsu****a Electric Industrial Co. Ltd. developed a
    dual-layer rewritable optical disk last year that could store 50 Gbytes per
    side, enough for four hours of high-definition movies. It used violet
    lasers, however, not red lasers.

Tsai said his prototype is ready to hit the market today, but Wang doubts
    the market is ready. The disk may be capable of recording dozens of Star
    Trek episodes, but there aren't any drives available to utilize it and no
    one is working on one. Such systems would also require a new chip set.
    "Today's technology still has a ways to go before this is needed," Wang
    said.

In the meantime, Wang said Ritek should work on polishing the
    signal-to-noise characteristics on disks in the 40-Gbyte to 60-Gbyte range,
    which would still far outstrip today's 9.4-Gbyte maximum capacity for a
    dual-sided, dual-layer DVDs. Even next-generation proposals, such as Blu-ray
    DVDs, top out at about 27 Gbytes. Besides, they use pricier technology ˜
    they are based on blue lasers ˜ that is not backward compatible with today's
    red laser standard. "The next two years will be very important for this
    technology," Wang said. "If we can get through the big breakthroughs we
    need, this will be a threat to Blu-ray."

During that time, however, Tsai will be prodding his team to push the limits
    of density even further. Ritek and Taiwan's National Science Council are
    funding the research until February 2003 with $660,000 ˜ the project started
    in March 2000. "Our goal is to make an even smaller mark size that will
    still be stable within the near field. To do this, we will have to find a
    nanostructure to make this happen in a much easier way," Tsai said.

"One hundred gigabytes is not the limit; it is just the beginning. Our goal
    is terabit," he said.

18. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Ummmm, do the math.. one terabit (he did say BIT) is the same as 128GB (giga-BYTE). I hope people remember that one Byte has eight BITs in it.

With his above statement, 100GB is damned close to the max that they are projecting.

19. boymerang macrumors member

Splitting Hairs much?

Since it was likely a spoken / transcribed quote...my guess would be the reporter didn't know the difference, and just substituted terabit for terabyte.

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Splitting Hairs much?

IF the reporter did that, then the editor should have caught the error... they don't even sound all that much alike (past the tera part).

21. boymerang macrumors member

Re: Re: Splitting Hairs much?

really. given the wording of the quote, the nature of the article, and bombast surrounding the technology - does it really make sense? terabit and terabyte are two letters off from one another, and *look* pretty close to one another. i'd wager Tsai said 'terabyte', the reporter heard 'terabyte' but when he transcribed the article or whatever, mistakeningly wrote terabit, probably thinking it was no big deal - your average reader probably thinks the two terms are interchangable. larger and more glaring errors have slipped past eager editor's eyes. which do you *really* think is more likely?

i appreciate that you're trying to point out the potential marketing-speak inherant in the article...but i think you're being a little too sensitive to it. i *did* enjoy catching lame continuity errors in spiderman and ****, but i also realized that movies aren't shot in chronological order - and by the time errors like that become apparent (in editing) it's usually too late to change them.

22. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

boymerang, you might be surprised at how fast edits can be made these days. With stuff going online, it's a snap to edit an article (if only online). If it has gone to press, as long as the entire run is not done, they can still make the change. Considering how so many publications are going either direct to press or direct to plate, it takes just minutes to make the change and have the presses rolling again. Especially since they can make a type change fast (black plate).

I have never heard of EE Times (or at least don't recall them), do you have a site to link to them?? Are they accurate in most other things?? I would suspect the quality of their tech articles if they cannot get something like bits and bytes right. Any reporter worth the lead in their pencil checks their article over before sending it out. If there is something like that error in their they [the good ones] typically contact their source and get it right.

IF they really are talking about TB, not Tb, then it will be interesting to see when this actually comes out.

BTW, I have a BFA in graphic design, and worked in the pre-press department at a printer for almost 3 years.

23. boymerang macrumors member

I didn't really mean this to turn into a pissing match. but, my comment about changes being too little, too late, was really only in reference to movie editing. i'm well aware of how easy it is to make changes to something - though, if you're willing to pay for it, virtually anything can be done.

but i know first hand how difficult editing can be - especially if said editor is out of his/her field of experience. how many times have you read newspaper articles from 'reputable' sources that fudge up a Band's name, or have some other bastardization of a 'known' fact. we don't instantly assume they're talking about something completely different - we just use our own minds to edit..."that doesn't make sense, they must mean..."

as for the technology ever coming out - who knows. The fact that they're using a red laser, instead of a violet or blue laser (which everyone else is using to achieve similar, if not better, results) points to this being a bit of a stop-gap solution. it sounds as though the same technology could be applied to the more precise lasers, thus increasing capacity even more - which could be what he was hinting at with the reference to Terabytes. though i suppose we'll never know...

it _will_ be interesting to see where all this divergent technology GOES...not everything can come to market, and some of it sounds like it goes in direct competition with itself (big surprise).

24. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Settle down junior. And yes I am talking about your over the top over response AlphaTech. The guy was trying to make a point and instead of arguing the validity of his comment, you accuse him of playing his stereo too loud? If I recall aren't you an avid Harley fan? The same guys who ride around with blaringly loud exhaust pipes?

25. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Actually Bubba... I don't have drag pipes (the real loud ones) which are too loud even for me. I had aftermarket ones installed that look better, and have a bit deeper sound. They are a little louder then stock, but within the legal limits.

Your also getting into this rather late in the game, so chill out and don't get your panties in a bundle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.