The 750FXe

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by rice_web, Aug 21, 2002.

1. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Many have been raving about the 750FX for a while, but what about the 750FXe?

750FXe, or an enhanced version of the 750FX, would be entirely the same as IBM's latest G3 processor. However, the 750FXe would sport vector processing like the G4 and IBMs latest, rumored PowerPC processor.

But what on Earth would such a thing be used for? It's simple actually. We'd just have to use the following setup (some of the math is calculated):

PowerMac
    - G5 processor from IBM
    - 64-bit processing
    - 6.4GBps through system bus
    - Double-pumped system bus
    - 400MHz FSB
    - 200MHz CPU multiplier

iMac
    - G4 processor from IBM
    - 32-bit processing
    - 3.2GBps through system bus
    - 400MHz FSB
    - 200MHz CPU multiplier

Some of my math is probably off, but that's a technical look at my guess for IBM PowerPC processors and Apple's possible use of them. If the rumors are true about these chips ability to scale, both chips could scale to 2GHz.

Note:
    - the FSB of the potential G5 is estimated based on memory throughput information provided in Oct. Microprocessor Forum press release.

- the FSB of the 750FXe is calculated with data provided from IBM.com. The 750FX is capable of a 200MHz system bus, with full support for DDR memory (200 x 2 = 400).

2. Mr Jobs macrumors regular

3. big macrumors 65816

big

though with current speed increases, we can expect all the sometime in late 2010. of course its release will be delayed 1 month as usual

4. rice_web thread starter macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Well, with a product announcement this big, delays will push the products retail release two months back.

5. rice_web thread starter macrumors 6502a

rice_web

By the way, the 750FXe hasn't even been announced, only slightly rumored. It will likely be released though. Because the desktop Power4--our rumored G5--processor sports 64-bit processing, IBM will likely fill the 32-bit market with the 750FXe--a 32-bit version of the G5 that many are now expecting from IBM.

6. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Great! that can go into the powerbooks while the desktops get the hardcore chips. This way, apple can finally be motorola-free!!!:eek:

7. rice_web thread starter macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Well, they'd go perfectly in the iMacs and PowerBooks. Imagine, a DDR equipped PowerBook with a 200MHz system bus, 400MHz effective... (drool)

Heck, even if it ran at 800MHz, that increase in bus speed would suffice for me and give me excuse enough to buy one.

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

The 750Fxe was announced last year at the processor convention. This is the same convention that's coming up where they're going to talk about the new Power 4.

If you all remember right the original G4 was nothing more then a G3 with an Altivec subprocessor patched onto it. So in all reality this thing will be a G4 by any other name.

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

we could have the option the pcs have with two high end processors...the pentium 4 and athlon xp

we could have a motorola g5 and an ibm g5...now that would really be cool...choices

on the low end, we could go well with the current g4 family for imac, emac, and hopefully soon, or within 12 months, a g4 ibook

anything wrong with apple giving us a choice of two high end processors?

10. rice_web thread starter macrumors 6502a

rice_web

I like that thinking. If Apple could provide BTO options for the other processors, I think it could be a big hit.

However, because Apple does not ship the numbers processors as other IBM and Motorola clients, it is very likely that this option is impossible.

Apple likely works out deals with Motorola and IBM when assigning a processor to a computer.

11. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: The 750FXe

I'm curious as to how this would work out. If software publishers released 64-bit versions of their products, there would be the small issue of them only working on Power Macs if what you say here is the case. An iMac with a 32-bit CPU would not be able to run 64-bit code. I don't think Apple would want to fragment their systems like this.

I think Apple will wait until all its product lines are moved over to 64-bit CPUs before giving developers the go-ahead to release 64-bit Mac software. Which would probably mean sometime in 2004 at the earliest...

Alex

12. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Nah, I don't think that would work. Motorola would never be bothered to put as much R&D into its G4s as IBM and they'll quickly be left behind since everybody would choose an IBM chip

13. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

It doesn't sound like something Apple would do. It would confuse people and it would add unnecessary complexity to the build-to-order system. The product lines are so simple today - I don't think Apple would want to blur them by offering people their choice of processor families. Plus, there is no evidence of Motorola ever releasing a desktop G5, and even if they were to do so, there's no reason to believe it wouldn't stagnate like the G4 does today.

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

apple is truly not as big as their competitors so they probably have to stay slim to stay healthy

onece g4 or g5 hits 2 ghz, i think the consumers will smarten up to the hyped out speed war like they have on the pc side

i know plenty of people who are in the 1 ghz+ area in pc computing and when they hear of something faster in the 2 ghz+ territory, they know its all smoke and mirrors

let's say g5 does come out from motorola in 1st quarter of 2003 at 1.7 or 1.8 ghz...and let's say they proceed up to 2.2 ghz by late 2003 and then get stuck at that speed for a year...who will really care? and so what if pcs are at 4 ghz then? speed won't be the consumer's hot selling issue at that point