The "a" key with Panther???

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by BicyclePunk, Jan 27, 2004.

1. BicyclePunk macrumors regular

Just installed the Panther upgrade on my Dual 500 G4. Now the lowercase "a" doesn't work. I even tried it with two different keyboards. I want to run software update, but the lower case "a" is in my password. D'oh! Any advice would be great. Thanks!

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Re: The "a" key with Panther???

it would be better to do a clean install...

3. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

make sure your keyboard layout is standard english?

4. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Sill question, but is there a way to do that AFTER I install the upgrade? I'm still probably going to do a clean install with Jaguar and then install this upgrade on top of that. That cleared up a TON of issues when I did it on my dualie G5. Thanks!

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Apple doesn't make "upgrade" discs. Just do a clean install of Panther, with out Jaguar. That should clear up some of this.

TEG

6. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

I got the $20 upgrade of Panther that they wouldn't sell in the store....had to have Apple mail it to me. I can't figure out how to do a clean install on it. The install disc only gives me the upgrade option...even in "custom" install mode. ANy ideas? Thanks.

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Type things using your mouse via the keyboard program. The only question is, where did they put it in panther... haven't found it yet.

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I have the same upgrade discs, and you can do either an archive and install, or erase and install as long as 10.2 is on there already.

9. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Look in International in System Preferences, under Input Menu, and select the Keyboard Viewer to show it in your Menu bar near your other items (clock, etc.)
    –Chase

10. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Cool. Thanks. I actually did a clean install of Panther and that cleared it up.

11. ephramz macrumors member

Easy solution- update Synergy!

I wish I had seen this forum before you reinstalled Panther. There is a super simple solution to this problem. I just had this problem a few days ago when I upgraded to Panther and was perplexed. It is just an older version of Synergy.

I assume you had synergy on your old system, right? Just upgrade to version 1.0a or 1.0a2 and it should go away. Worked for me. Not sure why synergy caused this bug and stole the A key. Strange thing was shift-A and option-A still worked.

Hope this can still help someone.

12. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

You know...I did have synergy on that machine. Funny thing was that the letter a was in my password so I couldn't download the newer versions of OSX. D'oh! Fortunately, I did figure out I could copy the password, which I had elsewhere, and paste it. Thanks, though.