The A380 Flight Deck

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by EGT, Nov 12, 2005.

1. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Ladies and gentlemen, the brains of the A380:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/957790/L/

(Do we have to convince Airbus to Switch? :p )

Some interesting info, a lot of technical stuff:

* In pressurized areas cables are made of aluminum.
    * The A380 uses 5 interconnected computer network domains, each using some kind of Fast Ethernet (ADFX): Flight Control, Cockpit, Fuel and LG, Energy and Cabin
    * Even the sidesticks are connected to the Flight Control and Guidance Computer by ADFX.
    * A hardware based firewall prevents access from the Cabin domain to the avionics domain. All domains feature software based firewalls. But data from the Avionic domain is fed to into the Cabin domain.
    * Engine thrust is set by specifying the percentage of thrust relative to maximum thrust (called ACUTE: Airbus Cockpit Universal Thrust Emulator).
    * EFB are fed by USB-sticks or CD-ROM. In the future they will be fed over wireless LAN.
    * Pitch changes are done by specifying the desired g-load. Even in direct law certain g-load limits cannot be overridden.
    * Power supply is running on 115V AC, with a variable frequency from 400 to 800 Hz.
    * P_avionics = 16 kW, P_galley = 240 kW, P_ife = 60 kW, P_cabinlighting = 15 kW
    * The control surfaces can be driven by electric motors only. A complete loss of hydraulics becomes therefore surviveable.
    * Airbus is considering the use of fuelcells to supply power to the control surfaces in the case of a RAT (75 KW) malfunction.
    * Passenger seats come with a universal 100 W power supply (110 V AC) compatible to all kind of the plugs used in the homes around the world.
    * The Thales IFE uses Gigabit-Ethernet to every seat with a storage capacity of 6 TByte. The Seat Electronic boxes run on PowerPC-CPU.
    * Wireless networking in the cabin is realized by so called leaky lines running through the cabin, with holes above each seat.
    * Passenger reading lights are realized by LED.

It really does sound more like a bloody computer than an aircraft. I wonder if they'll move to Intel next year as well?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Somebody should put all of that into their sig. :rolleyes: :p

3. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

That is a cool looking pit. My only issue would be handling throttle control with my right hand and Joystick flight control with my left. I would prefer the "wheel" every day. Also is it my imagination or do the slanted displays on the left and right appear to be windows based?

Attached Files:

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Wow. I'd thought they at least use a custom embedded OS. BSOD at 40,000 feet is not my idea of fun.

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

whats the little red button for ?

oooppps too late , i just ejected all the passengers out at 30,000 ft lol:D

6. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

But you'd fly the same way (assuming left seat), right hand on throttles, left controlling either side-stick or control wheel .. unless you're realllly double jointed and you fly cross armed?

The screens do appear to be running explorer with what looks like MS-Dos or something along the bottom.

Hehe, I believe it's for disconnecting the autopilot or auto-throttle. It all looks very daunting. I don't think it's a great looking flight deck but the whole aircraft is fugly anyway. Impressive, but fugly. :p

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

If Apple designed it, the cockpit controls would be one big clickwheel.

8. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

but if apple made Planes - then the jumbos would be White plastic and the private jets would be titainium - o and they would never crash either

looks like the OS on them screens is some Linux/Unix running on PPC CPU

9. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Yikes. No yoke for elevator and ailerons, and pedals for rudder. Instead we get a fighter style joystick. This baby DEFINITELY requires a type rating!

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I am not sure about all this.

I can just hear the pre-recorded announcement now:

"Welcome aboard the new Airbus A380, where nothing can go wrong, ... where nothing can go wrong, ... where nothing can go wrong, ... where nothing can go wrong...... :eek: :eek: :eek:

11. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

That it does ... and Rudder pedals it has, in the foot well space? It has just about everything but the kitchen sink ;) :p

I believe some Emirates Airbus aircraft even have a Morgue on board.

:eek:

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The other thought that came to mind after looking at the picture, what are they paying for the Xbox 360's?:D

13. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

14. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

Sinagpore Airlines, not Emirates.

"Singapore Airlines has attempted to take the trauma out of such tragedies by introducing a special "cupboard" to store any unexpected corpse.

The airline's new fleet of Airbus A340-500 aircraft boasts a discreet locker next to one of the plane's exit doors which is long enough to store an average-sized body, with special straps to prevent any movement during a bumpy landing.

Cabin crew have been instructed to use the locker in the event of a death on a long-haul flight - particularly if the aircraft is busy, with no free seats on which to lay out the deceased.

The aircraft came into use in February, operating the longest non-stop route in the world: a 17-hour, 7,900-mile journey between Singapore and Los Angeles."

I'd hate to be sat next to the cupboard.

15. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

wow ...

they was something on the news the other day about a long hail flight that lasted 22 hours ! think that grabbed the record for longest long haul

16. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

Yip

That was the Boeing 777-200LR (Long Range). It flew from Hong Kong to London Heathrow, Eastwards over the Pacific, North America and down across the North Atlantic. It will operate flights similar to that of the A340-500 because when it's fully loaded, its range is decreased. I think it set the record for its category (wide body, twin engine) but it's still pretty amazing. They had 2 sunrises on that flight! :cool:

17. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

that is amazing , mind you i've had NZ - LAX and that was painfull , then after 6 hours on to London but NON STOP has gotta be a killer

DVT anyone ?:D

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Notice that the "Captains" position is the one with a keyboard!:eek:

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Well that was beat this weekend by Boeing with a 777-200ER.

Edit: Sorry I just saw your post about this amazing fight. Any details on the payload? For I know it is possible for a 727 or 737 to make it across the Atlantic with extra fuel and no passengers.

Then again I remember a friend that crowed about being on one of the 747SP flights that did NYC to Tokyo non-stop! I can only think of the hell being on a non-stop flight of greater than 8 hours in coach. <eek!>

20. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

^^^

777-200LR, The Fifth generation Triple 7.

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry, LR verses ER. For most of us this impressive. I apologize for my mistake.

The 777 is an amazing aircraft for the traveler IMO. Quiet and comfortable. Much like my flights on the CRJ200 last month - the CRJ200 is an amazing aircraft OMO!. Comfort was better then the Boeing 717, 727, 737, and 757 aircraft.

Add to the fact that I did not have to board with 125+ of my closest "friends", with only 50 on board the CRJ200, the flight was much better overall for me.

22. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Thats so the piolet can browser MR while taking off :eek:

23. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

As most pilots would say "If it doesn't say Boeing, I ain't going!"

24. hopejr macrumors 6502

It looks like a re-dressed A340 cockpit (I know, we'll call it a Vista cockpit, rofl). BTW, they've been using sidestick controls instead of yokes since the A320.

25. ksz macrumors 68000

As good as the 777 is, the 747-400 is even better. It has by far the smoothest ride and most vibration-free cabin I have experienced. It can be so numbingly free of vibration that I often look forward to turbulence so as to keep the blood flowing.