Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Some sites are taking down their forums and having only FB and Twitter feeds which I think is very foolish. So what to you are the advantage to forums over social networking?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
probably social feeds are more easier to just stick in. Someone else has already done the hard work, they just give u code to stick on a website.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I think forums are easier to reply to and follow, not to mention administer. I also think that (often times) the quality of posts is much better on an established forum, versus the 'free for all' type atmosphere, that is often plagued by immature, impudent teens.

I had a FB account for several years and barely used it. I didn't like it and deleted my account. I have a Twitter account that I use, just so I can follow a few developers etc.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Some sites are taking down their forums and having only FB and Twitter feeds which I think is very foolish. So what to you are the advantage to forums over social networking?
You get more like minded people on a forum. On FB and Twitter you get people you would probably give a wide berth in real life.

That being said I've never been on either!

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I think forums are easier to reply to and follow, not to mention administer. I also think that (often times) the quality of posts is much better on an established forum, versus the 'free for all' type atmosphere, that is often plagued my immature, impudent teens.

I had a FB account for several years and barely used it. I didn't like it and deleted my account. I have a Twitter account that I use, just so I can follow a few developers etc.

Excellent point. In the theology field I notice that FB is plagued by a lack of depth while one gets far more depth on forums. Also FB is plagued by people typing out replies on their phones/tablets and most of the time they do not even read an entire post as their replies are short.
[doublepost=1467492535][/doublepost]
You get more like minded people on a forum. On FB and Twitter you get people you would probably give a wide berth in real life.

That being said I've never been on either!

Yeah I am not too popular on FB/Twitter. I post things and receive few replies. On forums it is easier to find more like minded folks.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I don't think it's foolish. If very few people are getting directed to your site via search, people aren't posting, and you're getting swarm after swarm of bot registrations and spam, then what's the point in maintaining a forum that takes both time and money that could be spent elsewhere? You're not going to pay to keep 1TB+ of file attachments and whatever else around forever. Bothering with the whole process of moving them into Amazon's services to make it more cost effective isn't worth it to some people running these places either. You can archive/prune discussions too, but you're still storing the data.

I personally like forums because everyone has a common interest whether it's Apple Inc., tech in general, books, specific music, whatever. It makes talking about other things easier in most cases too, and even though you can a lot of times end up talking about the same thing across all these various outlets, they all have very different point of views that are not just from the tech savvy/bookworms/audiophiles/etc. Like here on MacRumors, there's obviously a lot of people who don't care for Android, but it's good to be able to talk to people who use a Mac like you and are interested in using a Samsung, HTC, etc, and have also come from an iPhone.

With social media, you can have your one account that people talk to, you retweet, you make hashtags to make it easier to follow in search/clients, and discussions happen in a frame of a hour or whatever. Plus when people want support for something, it comes from the person/team who can answer 100% correctly (not as problematic around here and probably the tech space in general, but I've been on places where about 20 people all answer incorrectly because they clearly didn't understand what they had read).

I don't like it as much either, but I know why it's a "better" alternative.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Forums don't force you to condense your thoughts into an arbitrary 140 character limit.

FB is longer but keep in mind many that read your posts are using phones/tablets which makes it difficult to get a lengthly reply.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Forums will never go away. They make things easier for so much! Anyone can answer your questions on a forum, not so with Twitter. If hashtags aren't right, you won't find what you need. Facebook is just a joke.

Reactions: Meister

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Twitter and Facebook are hard to search and archive, and nested comments often get missed. Forums like this one are now cluttered with so much off-topic discussion and are so poorly moderated that they're not really worth visiting.

I miss the usenet newsgroups. They were well organized and really rich in information. The small population of users really made it manageable. Oh, those were the good days! :)

You can still access newsgroups. I access Mozilla's Usenet servers to post my questions about their applications.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Yeah, I prefer forums so I can waffle on a bit and it's interesting to see a variety of opinions in depth too. It feels more like you're communicating with someone. Although Twitter has been absolutely fabulous in rekindling an ancient friendship, I finally capitulated to Twitter because I have to promote my writing (although right now I'm just largely playing genre film goofball.) Still it's nice to keep up with a few people / companies of interest. It's been a huge time eater though so I have to be careful.

I hate FB though. Was on it for about 2 weeks in 2007 and couldn't stand it. Until I master taking photos of all my baubbles and things I'll probably stay off instagram.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I find that forums provide a meeting place (albeit virtual) for similar minded folks, i.e., MR members talk about Macs/iPhones etc. I don't get that in facebook.

The interweb is an evolving entity, who knows what things will look like in 5 to 10 years, but for now, I think forums provide a nice sanctuary to talk with people who share my affinity towards apple products.

Reactions: jwolf6589

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I strictly use FB and Twitter for information or specific communication. MacRumors is the only forum I'm active on and I find it to be much more of a socializing and relationship building experience. Sure, I get information here, but it's social in nature.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I think forums are easier to reply to and follow, not to mention administer. I also think that (often times) the quality of posts is much better on an established forum, versus the 'free for all' type atmosphere, that is often plagued by immature, impudent teens.

EVERY forum that required a Facebook account to post to is inundated with spam.:mad: "I made 10K a week working at home. blah blah blah." Or "I'm making $13k a month working part time. blah blah blah.":rolleyes:

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
I prefer forums but saying that I'm only a member of Macrumors.

I'm not on facebook, Linkedin or whatsapp but I do have Twitter but I'm thinking about deleting it.

I like the fact that forums draw people together who like (and dislike) a particular interest, plus if there is slow news day in your interest the forum memebers usually make up for it with good threads, so often; you can find something to engage in.

Twitter is alright but I'm getting fedup of seeing stupid trends plus not enough is done to keep hash tags consistent one topic can have multiple tags which can make it hard to track chatter on say a F1 race.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I prefer forums but saying that I'm only a member of Macrumors.

I'm not on facebook, Linkedin or whatsapp but I do have Twitter but I'm thinking about deleting it.

I like the fact that forums draw people together who like (and dislike) a particular interest, plus if there is slow news day in your interest the forum memebers usually make up for it with good threads, so often; you can find something to engage in.

Twitter is alright but I'm getting fedup of seeing stupid trends plus not enough is done to keep hash tags consistent one topic can have multiple tags which can make it hard to track chatter on say a F1 race.

whatsapp? Another chat/VOIP app? How many of these are there out there? For me I prefer iMessage/facetime.

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
whatsapp? Another chat/VOIP app? How many of these are there out there? For me I prefer iMessage/facetime.

Too many! it's ridiculous. However I'm successfully managing to dodge them; when I tell people I'm not on Linkedin, Facebook or Whatsapp I get the 'how do you survive' look :eek:

Reactions: JamesMike

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Forums are candy for intelligent people who know a great deal about a (or a few) specific thing(s), social media just attracts idiots with opinions.
Interesting generalizations...which often enough don't really hold true (in either direction).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.