The Age Old Question - NES Glove?

Discussion in 'Community' started by dxp4acu, Jul 21, 2003.

1. dxp4acu macrumors regular

Now, why do we still have mice, keyboards, controllers, etc., but back in the 80s the NES had a glove and a powerpad???

Surely by now they could do that 1000 times better. Why hasn't anyone? Especially the glove. I would love to turn my mouse into a glove!

Anyone?

2. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I'd been thinking a digital glove would be a great tool for use in video editing - you could physically "pick up" clips and place them where you wanted.

A "slicing" motion would mean a cut point.

A Thumb-and-forefinger placed together would be a join.

A flick to the left for Rewind, and to the right for Fast Forward.

Index finger outstretched for Stop.

Ahhh - technology...

:cool:

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

delete could be a common jesture with the middle finger.....or it could be undo

i also have a feeling that theres not enough interest in moving around that much to use a ccomputer, I mean compared to a trackpad, or trackball your talking about alot of movement

plus imagine the inept sob's that would poke their screen and break their lcd and make threads here blaming apple or the company that produced it

4. dxp4acu thread starter macrumors regular

that would be alot of moving around, but imagine all of these computer nerds with huge arm muscles! They could enter strong man competitions!

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Another thought on the subject would be special glasses or goggles. The computer could be operated with eye movement.

6. Das macrumors regular

Sorta like Minority Report's gloves on a cinema display?

Oh and anyone remember actually using the power glove? Ugh...I could just beat the crud outta that Fred Savage guy for making me want one in the first place.

7. medea macrumors 68030

medea

well I don't think many companies would consider a powerglove to be a replacement for current input standards, it was really a early step into VR and plenty of companies have expanded upon it since then, it's just VR hasn't become a consumer reality yet.
    But I know there have been a lot of hacks out there for the powerglove to work on a pc, at least with Linux so your not the only one that has had the idea.
    anyone remember that ring sega brought out? it layed on the floor and you were supposed to move around inside it, but I can't recall the name.

8. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

I believe there's something in Japan that is working its way over here that is like the hand sensor thing they had for the NES. Not quite the same thing, and it is for the PS2, not personal computers, so not really relevant -- however, these things have a way of trickling down.

My personal thoughts on the "pods unite" thing is kinda similar -- I mean, it does mean a bunch more iPods out there in the market, but I think it also gives a market to produce the car adapters with however many thousands of guaranteed uses it would have in the Beetles, therefore paying for the R&D so it can be more cheaply available for aftermarket anyway.

So how off-topic was this post? [insert punchline here]

Sorry.

When OLED goggles become a reality is when gloves will come into question more strongly, and eventually they will be adapted I'm sure...oh, the day will come, I can't wait...for the games, I mean. Couldn't care less about a glove's use in Photoshop. Maybe in 3D. Yeah....3D "Goo" with poking abilities...

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You mean the NES Powerglove? Doesn't that sound like a great PowerMac accessory already? ;)

I remember that thing. It was great, especially in the movie "The Wizard", which totally kicked ass. It hyped that glove to an untouchable "cool" status at the time. I wanted to be the kid in the black jacket. I wanted to beat Fred Savage. And no, not just in video games...... :mad:

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think I would utterly hate having to edit w/gestures. You think a mouse and keyboard can give you repetitive stress injuries... Not to mention how slow it would be compared to the speed of hot keys and keyboard short cuts.

Lethal

11. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

it wont really catch on, not till it implements force feedback and you can actully feel the object, that would be awesome

12. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I expect a few computer nerds ALREADY have huge arm muscles, considering some of the dodgy sites that some of them frequent...

;)

13. jbomber macrumors 6502a

jbomber

I LOVE THAT. I watch that movie over and over for those scenes. beautiful human-computer interaction.

Anyone else notice that they completely ripped that off in the Matrix: Reloaded?