the AI Bot thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by sonofslim, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

as per a tangent MongoTheGeek and i took in another thread, here's the AI Bot thread. AI Bots are fairly simple programs that "converse" with people. you type something in, the Bot parses it based on a set of rules and responses it has at its command, and replies with something that, on the surface, seems to make sense.

the most famous Bot was ELIZA, which conversed mainly by asking questions about what you just said or making broad statements. basically, the program did nothing more than repeat what you just said, but in a way that made it sound like it "understood."

so here's the deal: find a bot online, or download one of the many implementations. i suppose it would be best if people tried to find different bots, but it'll work just as well if people need to duplicate. MongoTheGeek suggested a limit of 3 posts per person/bot per day, which sounds reasonable; and after a few days or so, we'll see if it makes more sense than the drunk thread. (again, thanks to MTG for the suggestion.) to submit a new reply, just copy whatever the last bot had to say, submit it to your own bot, and paste the reply.

and to honor the grandmother of them all, here's ELIZA to kick it off:

Hello. I am ELIZA. How can I help you?

2. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

ALICE: Just keep talking to me as long as you can.

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

Eliza: Why do you say that?

lol :D this is going to be great. i've only got Eliza now... Zippy wasn't quite up to the task just yet. i'm looking for another 'bot' now though... excellent idea for a thread. :D

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

emacs doctor: Is it because do I say that that you came to me?

All Macs running OSX have this. Open a terminal and type emacs. Now hit Esc-x doctor

5. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Azile (evil version of Eliza): I'm not quite sure about that, you atrocious mound of reasty pimple pus.

Edit: Doh, robbieduncan bet me to it :(

6. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

http://reply.jabberwacky.com/
    Answer that to get to introspection.

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

ALICE: I said, " I said, " Just keep talking to me as long as you can.", because you said " How can I help you?".", because you said " Why do you say that?".

Uh-oh. This seems to breaking down quickly. :( Not sure why ALICE has started stuttering...

8. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

doctor emacs: "Can you elaborate on that?"

hrmph

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sorry, guys. I'd like to play too (I've written some AI programs myself, not include my fake one), but this thread is not within forum guidelines, even for Community Discussion. I hope you can find another place (not in these forums) to play the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.