The air as an ebook reader?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by djrod, May 1, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

djrod

Hi there guys, I'm thinking in selling my iPad and get an Air but no of my uses of the iPad is to read ebooks and PDF, how good/bad is the Air to read PDFs? I'm talking about the 13" because of the bigger resolution.

2. macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

Preview can read PDF files no problem. PLUS the glass trackpad is awesome, so if you need a computer and not an iPad then go for the Air.

3. macrumors regular

Hmmm, I wouldn't do it, especially if you read lots pf e-books. The iPad is just more comfortable for reading ebooks, PDFs, and the like. While on the other hand, the MBA is better for writing than the iPad.

4. macrumors regular

I wouldn't make the trade - I have an 11" MBA and an iPad 2, and the latter is much better for reading. The MBA's 16x9 screen would have you scrolling constantly if you use it in the normal (landscape) orientation, and even if you held it like a book, the screen's too narrow in 'portrait' orientation for books.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

djrod

Thank U all, I've decided to keep my iPad, I just love this thing :p

6. macrumors member

Get a kindle. Or kindle DX. :)

7. macrumors regular

+1 on the Kindle DX

8. macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

I tried reading with a newer MBA 13, as if I were holding a book. The screen is gorgeous but holding the MBA isn't confortable.

Reading the same pdf with the iPad feels more confortable and secure.

I think the iPad is also more accesible when you want to turn it on. For the MBA, you need to take it out completely from your bag.

9. macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Not:apple:

10. macrumors regular

I like Apple products because they're well made, not because they have a piece of fruit drawn on them. From everything I've heard, Kindle is a solid product as well. I have an iPhone 4 and I'm getting a Macbook Air soon, so for me a Kindle would actually make a lot more sense than an iPad.

11. macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Don't get me wrong, a Kindle is a great e reader, but that's it, not a multi tasker so it's to limited for my money, but if it suits you, go for it:cool:

12. macrumors newbie

I think the iPad is better choice for reading too. It's subjective of course but unfolding a computer, putting it on your lap or stomach (in bed) to read, just not my cup of tea. ;)

13. macrumors member

well, the iPad is a great tablet, but if you want to read ebooks, the kindle, and the e-pearl paper-like display wins. It´s like a real book. Plus, it´s lighter and easier on the eyes. So i can understand if someone has the two devices - on my side, i´m fine with a laptop and a kindle. It´s rocks for hardcore book readers like me. :D