The All New PowerBookDuo.com

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by dpaanlka, Nov 16, 2004.

1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I started to create a website devoted to my long time favourite Apple Subnotebook, the PowerBok Duo family! It is conveniently located at powerbookduo.com which is a fantastic URL for such a site might I add.

I hope it can grow to become a de-fact standard internet resource for the PowerBook Duo, especially since up until now, there really is NO SUCH THING. Other sites were lousy looking, with broken links, ugly colors, incomplete information, and no graphics.

This is the future of the PowerBook Duo!

Please check it out and tell me what you think. Ideas, opinions, questions, comments.

So far there is an active forum, commercials, and a Duo production timeline. Be sure to join the forum if you have an interset in Duos.

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

The site isn't loading for me. :confused:

Edit: Okay, it's up now ... I guess my computer was just being uncooperative.

Cute site! I didn't know there was a Duo following. I actually have a Duo myself ... I don't know what to do with it. :p

I'll definetely be keeping an eye on your site ... thanks for telling us about it!

3. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

very pretty site! i love your eagerness to help other people.

4. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Thats bizzare. The site doesn't use any fancy Flash or anything other than standard HTML. Perhaps update your browser? I hope you can eventually see it! Perhaps try again?

5. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Sorry, yeah, it just loaded. My computer doesn't like to load links that I click on. Apparently this is some kind of problem that's cropped up in recent OS X updates ... there was a thread on it today, and judging by the number of people who replied, it's a widespread issue.

Anyway, see my comments above! Cute site, and hello from a fellow Duo owner!

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Nice someone still is caring for the duos!

I still have three of them!
    230-8/80
    280-24/240
    280 (2300 mobo) 40/750
    and i also have a Duo Dock and a Newertech MicroDock 16!

Take a look here:
    Lots of info on the duos: (isn't updated since 1999..)
    http://hometown.aol.com/kim/computer/duo/duoindex.html

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Makes we wish Apple would do something like the Duo now.

Also it showed that Apple does know how to do commercials that can sell a line....

8. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I had never seen those commercials before. They were great!

9. Studawg7 macrumors regular

those commercials are awesome! recently in my creativity and new product development class, I read a chapter that used the Duo as an example. The book is The Art of Innovation by Tom Kelley. The guys at IDEO were very influential in the final duo dock design. Check out that book, its a really good read especially if you are into product design/development (and also for a little bit of Duo info ;) )

10. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I am very glad that everyone is enjoying the site!

Those commercials are great aren't they? I especially enjoy the end of the two Duo intro commercials, when the Duo logo slides out and opens up, while making a noise. Thats the noise the Duo docks actually make!

I will also have to look into that book.

Be sure to join the forum and keep the ideas coming!

11. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

12. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Nice site - I'll have to get my duo out of the basement for old times sake.

13. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The site is growing. The forum is fully functional now, articles and benchmarks are being added, and so has a buying guide for Duos and Duo parts!

Exciting!

14. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

After requests by some people to make different versions of the movies, heres what I'm working on for the commercials (will be up tonight most likely):

Duo Version: Low resolution, low sound quality, low FPS versions that can be played on PowerBook Duos, with any version of QuickTime starting at version 2.5. Uses Cinepack

Normal Version: The version that is already there. This must be played with the latest version of QuickTime 6 that support MPEG4.

Gigantic Version: Very high resolution, high framerate version that must be played on a pretty fast computer with QuickTime 6. Takes up the entire "white space" of the PowerBookDuo.com layout.

15. iMurc macrumors member

Ah yes, the good 'ol Duo's, it is a shame Apple Does not make them any more. I use to have a PowerBook Duo 270c, a great computer, now I have the 2300c VERY Loaded... Well, great site all kinds of neat info.