The Aluminum iPhone 6 Mold Being Used By Case Manufacturers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 22, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Recent weeks have seen a number of cases and physical mockups for Apple's rumored iPhone 6, and now we're getting a good look at the aluminum mold being used by case manufacturers as they prepare for the upcoming launch, courtesy of MobileDirect.ro.

[​IMG]
    Rather than a dummy model made to resemble the iPhone 6 directly, the mold is intended to represent the general shape of the device for the purposes of creating cases to fit the device and its physical features. As a result, the mold contains holes and depressions to allow it to be attached to machines for making the cases.

[​IMG]
    The iPhone 6 is expected to be available in two display sizes, both larger than the current 4-inch display on the last several generations. A 4.7-inch version has been rumored to be launching first around the September timeframe, with an even larger 5.5-inch model reportedly following several months later.

[​IMG]

Article Link: The Aluminum iPhone 6 Mold Being Used By Case Manufacturers

2. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

3. macrumors 65816

Yes!!! Was starting to go through withdrawls.

4. macrumors 6502

5. macrumors 6502a

6. macrumors member

from these pics it doesn't look so thin... along with that protruding camera lens :/

7. macrumors regular

how's that supply chain secrecy working out ... :confused:

8. Guest

keterboy

I wish it had the exact form factor like the iPod Touch, it has a different and better rounding on the back.

9. Editor emeritus

longofest

the rounded edges almost reminds me of the current-gen models, but with bumpers on them, though keeping the same thickness of the current gen models.

10. macrumors 6502a

Sirious

11. macrumors 68000

Goftrey

How on earth do you get first post on nearly every single news thread? Do you sleep? Are you human?

12. macrumors member

Actually it's working rather well. It's Almost June and we haven't seen one real part of this phone. Just Mockups, 3d prints and cases. Usually by now we can put together a whole functioning phone based on leaked parts.

13. macrumors 6502

And the people who buy these will complain if the iPhone will be the wrong size for the cases again....

14. macrumors regular

Eggtastic

2 things...

First, anyone upset that apple is releasing the 5.5" at a later date? I am split between both sizes, and am also impatient and don't want my samsung galaxy s3 anymore...

Second, did they kill off the bezeless rumors? haven't heard about that in a long time.

15. macrumors 6502

You do realize that this is the mold for the device right?

Molds are always thicker and have bigger "parts", I.E the camera lens. Basically, imagine the real device around 15% to 25% thinner than the actual mold.

16. macrumors regular

17. macrumors regular

polterbyte

Proof? No.

Very flimsy kind of could be what to some more gullible minds might pass as a surrogate for evidence? Maybe.

18. macrumors 68000

1080p

19. macrumors member

One might say this article...

...fits the mold.

[​IMG]

20. ForzaJuve, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014

macrumors member

It makes sense that the camera lens would be protruding on the mold so that it can correspond with a hole in the case. I highly doubt the real iPhone 6 would have a protruding lens.

21. macrumors 6502

decimortis

How did you discover such a pattern? Are you human? ;)

D.

22. macrumors 6502

sshhoott

So far everything about the iPhone 6 is admirable. The design, screen size, rumoured features etc.

However, the only gripe I have is that the bezel would make an already bigger phone even bigger. But then again, the Home button and symmetry are very important things for proper user experience and design. My hope is that they make the bezels just thin enough to just barely fit the Home button.

23. macrumors member

This could be totally wrong, just like couple years ago iPhone cases started shipping out before the iPhones was even announced and it turned out the cases were completely wrong.

24. macrumors 65816

No, it's a mold for making cases.

25. macrumors newbie

It's a mold for CASES!!! RTFA :mad: