The American Legion Hates Your Freedoms

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Aug 24, 2005.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Link'd
    Whatever means necessary? Sounds pretty radical to me.

So what they're saying is, they're glad you have a right to protest, just don't exercise it. Unless you want to support the president, right? I mean they're the American Legion, they probably support the troops no matter who's president, right? Of course they forget to mention that when Clinton was president, the Legion was the one providing aid and comfort to the enemy:
    Playing politics with our troops. The Legion leadership should be ashamed of themselves.

2. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

This is kinda like the Klan voting unanimously that White Christians uber alles. Film at 11!

3. tristan macrumors 6502a

The American Legion learned the wrong lessons from Vietnam. Back then protestors were spitting on troops when they came home. And what did the government do about it? Send more troops and bomb cambodia.

We lost Vietnam not because of some hippie protestor, but because huge numbers of Vietnamese didn't want us there and were willing to fight us to the last man. When it became crystal clear to everyone that we were making zero progress, we left. And when we leave Iraq, it'll probably be for the exact same reason.

4. diamond geezer macrumors regular

How to be a good American.

Disconnect your brain.

Don't ask awkward questions.

Point your gun at whoever the (obviously infallible) President says.

5. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Now now... that's not entirely true. When the president is a Democrat it's perfectly patriotic to not support the troops (as the Legion makes clear in their letter to President Clinton. I believe there were even calls by Republicans for military folk to speak out against that particular war effort.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

So then, um... why are they supporting the Iraq war? I think it has something to do with 9/11. :confused: Funny how a couple of the Vietnam vetrans I know aren't real happy with the way this war is being handled.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yay, more partisan crap.

Lord, I love how, in general, people are full of piss 'n vinegar towards everyone on the other side of the aisle and complete apologists to everyone on their side of the aisle.

Lethal

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

9. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's a lovely by-product of the piss 'n' vinegar spewed by the polititians who have discovered that polarizing works. Tie that in with increasingly partisan congressional districts that produce increasingly shrill candidates (whose constituencies demand harsh divisive rhetoric) and a tendency towards a 'party before country' attitude from both sides of the 'aisle', and a politically nearly even division in the country and look what you get!

But even so, the American Legion is way out of line and needs to be called on this kind of Stalinist crap. Particularly when they are so obviously using American troops as partisan pawns, as their letter to Bill Clinton shows. It's shameful, disgraceful, and a betrayal of everything they purport to stand for. All for some cheap political points.

10. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Partisan politics is only part of the equation. There is certainly more money to be made in Iraq than there ever was in Yugoslavia

11. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Admittedly I don't have any information about financial ties between the American Legion leaders and any company profiting from the Iraq war, but I'm guessing that the Legion's statement is more a reflection of their partisan politics than their financial interests.

If you have any information I'm not privvy to, by all means enlighten me.

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Agreed.

Lethal

13. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

The American Legion is a sad Joke. Mainly it is a club that provides a place to go buy and drink alcohol where local laws prohibit it.

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

but it still funny to have a serbian military anorak leftover at home with a nice "made in the US" printed on it ;)