The American way?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chacala_Nayarit, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

The guards weren't even checking out if the IDs were real or not. I think that they were just bored and wanted to be *******s.

http://www.ioerror.us/2005/11/22/denver-bus-riders-forced-to-show-id-or-risk-arrest-and-prosecution/

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

is there a reputable source for the alleged events?

3. mpw Guest

The first thing I do whenever I'm asked for ID by a police officer is ask for theirs first. That always gets on their nerves and there's no way they can refuse.
    I know the US is paranoid over security at the moment but I don't know who's right about the legal argument, do you have to show ID when asked or not?

4. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Sounds like she was being kind of a b!tch. If an officer goes out of his way to be an *******, just cooperate. Dont give him a reason to be a bigger *******.

5. Chacala_Nayarit thread starter macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from this ACLU pamphlet (pdf format):
    and from here:

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

8. mpw Guest

Obviously you've gotta judge each situation separately but I'll often try and take police officers down a peg when I've got to deal with them. It comes from having to deal with way too many ******* police officers who are either incompetent or corrupt or more probably both, I've never found a police officer who felt he needed a reason to be a bigger *******.:( :mad:

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

iow, one should give up their rights to police operating under dubious tactics just to make it easier on the police? is that what you're saying? won't that just encourage their behavior?

and what exactly qualifies her as a bitch if she's merely exercising her rights under the constitution?

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I must admit to being rather puzzled myself by that one. She seems to have been clearly acting within her rights. She should sue.

11. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

That's the American way....:rolleyes:

If a police officer asks you for ID, its probably for a reason. Why the need to give him a bitchy attitude and refuse? What's so hard about pulling out some ID? I never understood why people like this liked to make their lives harder. If she just would have shown the ID, she could go on her way. But she had to throw a ****-fit about "her rights".

12. Chacala_Nayarit thread starter macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

Personally, I would have put a .40 caliber slug in the pig's head. That's me though, and the way I feel about the USA.

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

oh this is great...george bush and his right wing cronies have effectively made us into communist russia...kind of ironic for laissez-faire republicans

14. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Cool. :rolleyes:

15. Chacala_Nayarit thread starter macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

Folks this is only the start of the war. Capitalist America is going down. The streets will be covered in human oil from the bombs and burnt flesh. :D

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

looks like someone's taking their rights for granted. remember this the next time yours get violated. and don't forgot to give your thanks tomorrow for being born in a free society, if it matters to you.

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

that would only escalate the situation

i see it in the bad neighborhoods...kids get tough and try to pass themselves as original gangstas and attack a cop, then the cops come back pissed and starts racially profiling the whole neighborhood, then some other young kid who originally had nothing against the cops starts feeling like doing violence towards the police, and then the police realize they have more enemies on the street in the neighborhood and they turn to tactics that gangs use...and so on

san francisco, known for its progressive police force always seems to get itself into trouble in black and hispanic neighborhoods with some officer just losing it and then making the whole force look bad

like most large american cities, it's a mini jerusalem of police authority fighting the local minority youth population and there seems to be no easy answers at this point

18. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Taking my rights for granted? How about I just dont freak out when a cop asks for my ID. Dont sweat the small *****. Why would anyone even think of turning a simple request for some ID into a huge ordeal like this? For your civil rights? Sounds more like someone just being a total bitch.

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah well if you "Dont sweat the small *****." as you say, then one day you will need or want that civil right, and what are you going to do when you aren't granted it because it was never used by a citizen? then you lose freedom you had. what if rosa parks had never fought for her rights?

20. belvdr macrumors 601

If the bus was entering a federal facility, I feel they have a right to ask for ID.

I also like to save time as I seem to have less of it these days, so I would just show the ID if asked. Why does one feel the need to fight the request to show ID when you're entering a more secure facility?

However, the main question I believe is why is a public bus entering a federal facility to begin with?

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

exactly how did she "freak?" She knew her rights and probably some history.

you know who the heroes are? it's the librarians, it's rosa parks, it's ms. davis.

rosa parks just should have moved to the back of the bus. don't sweat the small stuff, right?

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

interesting that we both thought of her.

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from the ACLU press release:

24. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

You're comparing Rosa Parks to some bitch who wouldnt show some ID who was trying to go into a Federal building?

I give up. :cool:

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

we have a massive federal facility, department of the interior land, that sits right between two cities and buses pass through there all the time and most of the people in the region are not federal employees...it would be way out of place for the federal cop to ask for an id of a non federal worker