Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Elizabeth is trying to be so gentle with Paige while the movie title Serial Mom keeps popping into my head. ;) While Philip's conscience is getting to him. And the load of BS they fed Pastor Tim. I guess that's better than having an accident. Still waiting for Paige to send her parents to jail.
Is it bad that I don't want them to get caught? I cringed at the end of the last season when Paige told Pastor Tim. I know they're violent enemy spies, but the way the show has immersed us in their lives makes me care about what happens to them. :p Its a compliment to how fantastically the show is written, because at the same time, I'm rooting for Stan to uncover their dirty secrets.

I doubt its going to happen at this point, but part of me is still waiting for Pastor Tim to say "The Center sent me. Surprise!!"

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Is it bad that I don't want them to get caught? I cringed at the end of the last season when Paige told Pastor Tim. I know they're violent enemy spies, but the way the show has immersed us in their lives makes me care about what happens to them. :p Its a compliment to how fantastically the show is written, because at the same time, I'm rooting for Stan to uncover their dirty secrets.

I doubt its going to happen at this point, but part of me is still waiting for Pastor Tim to say "The Center sent me. Surprise!!"

Wow, would that be messing with our minds, lol. This is a really interesting premise- love-hate. I love them, but want to see them caught badly and I can easily see Paige pulling the plug on them, not that it would be easy for her, but that it's the right thing for a young idealistic near adult to do especially if she discovers they murder people routinely for Mother Russia. Now if she converts, I'll be pissed a Hell. :):)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The most erotic episode yet, during a post-coital cuddling Elizabeth observes that Philip's oreolas are different sizes. Just how risqué can FX get? ;)

More seriously, poor Martha. I never liked her character but sympathize just a little about how she got sucked in.

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I saw this episode and thought a few things:
1) very clever double entendre with the title of the episode,
2) Did Phillip just $*#* Martha
3) Sheesh Phillip you told Martha your true employers!
and 4) how amazing it is it that this is the only episode I caught of this season and feel like I know a lot of what's going on.

Such a great show.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I saw this episode and thought a few things:
1) very clever double entendre with the title of the episode,
2) Did Phillip just $*#* Martha
3) Sheesh Phillip you told Martha your true employers!
and 4) how amazing it is it that this is the only episode I caught of this season and feel like I know a lot of what's going on.

Such a great show.

The big element is that Phillip has developed a conscious and is fighting his bosses, who are more than willing to sacrifice Martha for Mother Russia. Martha's silver lining is that she and Clark can go live happily ever after somewhere. o_O:confused::rolleyes:

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
The big element is that Phillip has developed a conscious and is fighting his bosses, who are more than willing to sacrifice Martha for Mother Russia. Martha's silver lining is that she and Clark can go live happily ever after somewhere. o_O:confused::rolleyes:

Yes, that's been going on with Phillip since the season one...but Martha, Martha, Martha. :p

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I thought last night's episode was or could of been the series final... Until they showed scenes from next week! :)

UPDATED April 29, 2016: In a highly anticipated move FX's critically acclaimed and top-rated series The Americans has been renewed for a fifth season.
http://premieredate.tv/tv-series/3118-the-americans-release-date.html

Last edited:
Reactions: ritmomundo

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Last edited:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I thought last night's episode was or could of been the series final... Until they showed scenes from next week! :)

UPDATED April 29, 2016: In a highly anticipated move FX's critically acclaimed and top-rated series The Americans has been renewed for a fifth season.
That was exactly my thought too, it felt like it could have been a series finale. But looks like ****'s about to get real next week.

And also, this doesn't seem like the type of show to have a happy ending. Wouldn't surprise me if the entire Jennings family is dead or in jail when it ends.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That was exactly my thought too, it felt like it could have been a series finale. But looks like ****'s about to get real next week.

And also, this doesn't seem like the type of show to have a happy ending. Wouldn't surprise me if the entire Jennings family is dead or in jail when it ends.

That will be the producer's intellectual choice, but either of those options would not surprise me either. I can see Paige realizing her parents are murderers and sending them off to jail. My impression is the living happily ever after ending would be cruel to viewers. :p

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Season finale, possibly yes. But not the series finale, there's much too much left to address to end it there.

For an ultimate ending, I can imagine one or both of the Jenningses being caught, but then traded back to Russia to live out their days (sort of a best-of-both-worlds situation...). Maybe Philip will see Martha again.

Henry is oblivious at this point, which is good. But if/when he does find out the truth, I wonder which side he'll take.

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
ok, didn't read a single post since I just started the second season and only came to say: Love it!!

Only (tiny) gripe I have with it would be the complete lack of showing how they cope with their actual work at that tourist office. o_O I understand that this angle would be a bit much without adding too much but like that it seems a bit too convenient and unrealistic. Maybe that will be adressed later on but I doubt it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
ok, didn't read a single post since I just started the second season and only came to say: Love it!!

Only (tiny) gripe I have with it would be the complete lack of showing how they cope with their actual work at that tourist office. o_O I understand that this angle would be a bit much without adding too much but like that it seems a bit too convenient and unrealistic. Maybe that will be adressed later on but I doubt it.

There are scenes of them working at the office. I assume rank and file employees have no clue. What a shocker to discover who your bosses are! :)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
There are scenes of them working at the office. I assume rank and file employees have no clue. What a shocker to discover who your bosses are! :)

I know what they showed - I mean I get that they probably get their funds by other sources anyway but the co-workers / employees surely would notice if your boss(es) are that inconsistent in their behavior. I also get that it would be redundant and less intetresting than showing how they have to deal (=lie to) with their kids but still. At least a nod that this wasn't overseen would have worked for me. Now they appear and leave at the office at pure will - imagine your boss would behave like that in a small office..

but yea. it's a nitpick for sure; it'd have been more believable if they were just shown as freelancers doing their own small thing though - without employees.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I know what they showed - I mean I get that they probably get their funds by other sources anyway but the co-workers / employees surely would notice if your boss(es) are that inconsistent in their behavior. I also get that it would be redundant and less intetresting than showing how they have to deal (=lie to) with their kids but still. At least a nod that this wasn't overseen would have worked for me. Now they appear and leave at the office at pure will - imagine your boss would behave like that in a small office..

but yea. it's a nitpick for sure; it'd have been more believable if they were just shown as freelancers doing their own small thing though - without employees.
Since they are likely the owners of the agency they mostly likely focus on "high importance" clients (basically anyone they feel like or no one more likely) and just some financials and so forth, so they can come and go as they please as often or really as seldom as needed, most likely having enough employees and management hired and working for them so that they could be mostly as hands-off or hands-on as they feel like. At least that's my take on it as far as how that part of their life goes.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Since they are likely the owners of the agency they mostly likely focus on "high importance" clients (basically anyone they feel like or no one more likely) and just some financials and so forth, so they can come and go as they please as often or really as seldom as needed, most likely having enough employees and management hired and working for them so that they could be mostly as hands-off or hands-on as they feel like. At least that's my take on it as far as how that part of their life goes.

And they could easily have an office manager. The story tellers have simply decided to not waste time on this aspect of their cover.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The story Oleg tells his new girlfriend during pillow talk is a real eye opener although I would not be surprised if it did not happen. Even Elizabeth seems to be showing some regret with screwing over the people she befriends, and then there is Pastor Tim...

I was surprised the Martha story line did not carry the Seaon to the final episode.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Season finale, possibly yes. But not the series finale, there's much too much left to address to end it there.

For an ultimate ending, I can imagine one or both of the Jenningses being caught, but then traded back to Russia to live out their days (sort of a best-of-both-worlds situation...). Maybe Philip will see Martha again.

Henry is oblivious at this point, which is good. But if/when he does find out the truth, I wonder which side he'll take.
Looks like there are going to be 2 more seasons before the series ends: http://deadline.com/2016/05/the-americans-end-run-2-season-renewal-fx-seasons-5-6-1201762485/

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Looks like there are going to be 2 more seasons before the series ends: http://deadline.com/2016/05/the-americans-end-run-2-season-renewal-fx-seasons-5-6-1201762485/

Leaked from a Jan 2016 meeting where the Producers discussed the options for the Series ending:
  1. They retire to Russia, brain wash Paige who joins the Communist party and later becomes Putin's mistress They live happily ever after.
  2. No.1 plus Paige is actually a CIA spy.
  3. No.1 until Agent Beeman now with the CIA locates and terminates them.
  4. No.1 except before meeting Putin, a bump on the head reawakens Paige's memories and she joins a convent.
  5. No. 4 except before joining the convent, she meets an unlikely chap with an English accent, falls in love, locks her parents in a barn lighting it on fire, before becoming an embedded MI6 agent.
  6. Before they can leave the U.S., Paige turns them in, but visits them in jail.
  7. For the good of the family, Elizabeth terminates Paige behind Phillip's back, they escape to Russia, and seem to be readjusting until a note comes from Agent Beeman shedding light on Paige's death. Phillip executes Elizabeth and asks for forgiveness before turning the gun on himself.
  8. Same beginning as No. 7, but they don't escape. They are chased with Henry in the car, and as they drive off a cliff, Elizabeth asks Phillip for forgiveness. He calls her a Demon and manages to get a choke hold on her, before they are consumed in a fiery explosion.
  9. Phillip turns him self in for amnesty for his children. Citizen until the end, Elizabeth dies in a gun fight.
  10. In an amazing change of character, Elizabeth finds God, and gives herself up for amnesty for their children. Phillip escapes to Russia but drinks himself to an early grave.
  11. Left to your imagination. :D

Reactions: ritmomundo

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just watched the last two episodes. Getting mugged with her mother is a real eye opener for Paige, surely will raise more questions. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.