The Amish: Do you know anyone?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by xsedrinam, Apr 26, 2006.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Every once in a while, I'll see a horse drawn wagon of Amish people going along the side of the highway. The sight is like going back two centuries. What experience(s) have you had with the Amish people? Have you spoken to anyone? Where do they get their "look"? (i.e. like frozen in the 1800's) and Customs: The Ordnung is an oral tradition of rules which regulates how the Amish way of life should be conducted. Specific details of the Ordnung differ among various church districts. The rules are generally reviewed biannually and occasionally revised as needed. I've briefly spoken to one here and there in passing, but really don't know what they're about, especially their frozen in time dress. If they're drawing off of biblical teachings, why wouldn't they wear robes and the like? Anyway, they seem to be an interesting people.

2. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

My girlfriend's family are Mennonite, but that's as close as I've come to knowing any Amish folk. The basis for the Amish sect of Christianity is that they believe that you cannot be babtized when you're an infant because you have no cognitive ability. Instead, they believe you should be babtized when you're an adult, since you have the understanding of Jesus, etc. As far as their decision to keep the dress and lifestyle of the 19th Century, I have no knowledge.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i used to have a mennonite roommate. i can't even imagine what effect knowledge of her lifestyle (sleeping around, drugs, abortion) would have on her parents, who were forbidden from knowing she had (gasp!) a male roommate.

every time her parents came for a visit, i'd have to find some other place to stay.

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Give it another 50 years and we'll probably be back to living that way, working the lands once more.. we'll be fondly known as the 'westerners'.

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I live in the heart of old Amish country. They are frozen in time -- not biblical -- but in the time when they came here. They refuse to allow the outside "English" to change their ways. They are Anabaptist as someone else said. They speak a very old dialect of German amongst themselves.

I see them from time to time on my summer bike rides through the southern end of the county and they always have a friendly word for me.

There's a thing about the buggies: open buggy with two people in it is a couple courting. Closed buggy is husband and wife.
    Every now and again there's some naughty stuff in the local papers: growing pot in the cornfields or occasionally they refuse modern medicine and a child dies (or they die in a farm accident).

It's common knowledge they don't pay taxes, police their own and live it up before they settle down. They drive expensive cars, sleep around, booze it up, etc. Parents encourage it so the kids work it out of their system before getting baptized and having a family.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That's during Rumspringa (sp?) when a young adult has the choice to sample non-Amish life. They typically get a year or two and then decide whether to go back to the Amish life, or not. Many do.

Y'all should watch "Devil's Playground," it's really interesting.

In that documentary they also explain some things... many Amish are allowed to sit/ ride in cars if a non-Amish person owns and is driving the vehicle.

Also, they're allowed to go into non-Amish stores (such as wal-mart to escape the heat, since there's AC). They also have cell phones.

I think the documentary said that many congregations decide which devices could potentially detract from their faith and which ones could benefit them w/out being detrimental.

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

I've been to an area in Pennsylvania several times that is near a substantial Amish population. I've never interacted with them beyond driving past them on their buggies.

I did hear the other day that there are a fairly significant number of accidents caused when horses get spooked by large trucks driving too near the buggies. It's unfortunate that the modern world is encroaching upon them in such a deadly way.

8. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Such a good movie.

Nestled into the hills of upstate NY there's also an Amish chainsaw store.

And in Aroostook, Maine:

Link to full story.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Yeah, that's pretty common. They'll have a telephone on a box at the end of their property with a list of drivers they can call. It's like a secret taxi service (the drivers are paid).

Nothing quite as odd yet quite so natural around here as to see an Amishman in a Barnes and Noble talking on a cell phone. They also play a mean game of ice hockey.

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hmm i don't know i guess some Swabian or Alsatian might be able to understand it easier than i do
    i guess they originally are came out of either of these regions judging from the texts written on wikipedia ... my dialect is different but is in the same group of upper german dialects

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

12. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Berks County, PA... where the CVS has hitching posts.

I'm serious. Kutztown has hitching posts for the Mennonites (the predominant denomination on my area) to hitch their horses. And since we shop in Mennonite shops and the like, I hear a lot about their way of life. I think it's really great, and I hope that their unique language and way of life stay alive.

13. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I was doing some research this afternoon and discovered that there is an Amish community about two hours from here. That would be interesting to travel through sometime. But, idk, I'd probably feel out of place there.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No ****? Where's it at?

Just out of curiosity....I'm not going to ever go there. I would die after 5 minutes of no electronic devices :D

15. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

So would I! There is a community near Seymour (southeast of Springfield). Mapquest says it's less than 2 hours away. Here's an interesting read: The Amish - Missouri's Plain People.

16. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Well, atleast there's one group that doesn't worry about oil prices!

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My roommate is from right around there I think.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You know what I've noticed? They never force their beliefs on others, even encouraging their children to experience the outside world. I've always liked that about them. A lesson we could learn from some truly spiritual people. The monks I've met were like that. Very peaceful too. But boring. I could never live like that. I like my electronics, entertainment, transportation, and various other modern day inconveniences.

I still respect what they're trying to do though.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If only other religions could take a lesson from that :D

20. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Hear, Hear. I'm totally fed up with God fearing people, trying to put the fear of God in others.

21. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I was raisied in Springfield. Seymour is Amish country.