The amoutn of memory needed for TIger to work smoothly

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Loft, May 2, 2005.

1. Loft macrumors newbie

I just installed TIger into my system which is a 12" PB I just wanted to ask if I needed to add more ram. I currently only have 256MB of ram. I think it's running too slow with only 256. thanks!

2. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

get a 512 stick for about $100. I have 768 on my 15" 1.33 pb and it runs good.

3. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

I am currently also running it with a powerbook as you can see with the same ram and it is great.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

512MB should be your minimum. More is bettter.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Okay, so I've got two cubes with 256 MB of RAM. One is used primarily as a music server and the other is used mainly by my kids checking their e-mail. They do all this fine using Panther. Are you saying that upgrading to Tiger will slow them down to the point of unusability?

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No, I'm not trying to say that..

But, I guess it's all about perception. Personally, I find the beachballing (particularly via the Finder) found on any Mac with 256MB running Panther to be frustrating. With only 256MB of RAM, it'll be swapping constantly.

IMO, 512MB should be your minimum for comfortable usability. I think your cube doing music feed only will be just fine with 256MB, but with the kids actually using the other one for slightly more intensive tasks, I really would advise jumping up to at least 512MB. But that is again, just IMO.

Again, more is better, and RAM is fairly cheap.

7. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

256Mb will require you to constantly be swapping files and if you have a 7200RPM drive that can be acceptable, but if you are using a 4200RPM drive I would recommend 512Mb or higher