Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
When you drag an item off the Dock, or you drag a bookmark off the Safari Bookmarks Bar, you see a little disappearing cloud and hear a "poof" sound.

What other actions in Mac OS X or Apple programs produce it?

Is that animation in a disk file somewhere within Mac OS X?

Has anybody used it for other purposes?

Has anybody created replacements?

If this has already been discussed, where is the thread?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
dragging things out of the Finder's sidebar does the same thing

over on Resexcellence, they have replacements and a how to replace guide, although all the replacements suck the last time i looked

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
PlaceofDis said:
over on Resexcellence, they have replacements and a how to replace guide, although all the replacements suck the last time i looked
Hey, you're right!

They call them Dock Poofs.
Install method for Mac OS X 10.2 and 10.3.
As the root user replace the original poof.png in this folder
/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/poof.png

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
It seems like they're the OS X version of the Newton clouds, which if you'll remember were little dust poofs that came up when you erased a bit of text or drawing (not the crumpling-up animation, which was for erasing a whole note). The only difference is that the OS X ones are smaller, color, and disappear more fluidly.

I always wondered if someone over at Apple was conscious of this, or if it's just a coincidence.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
MacAddict went over how to replace those poofs a while ago... I can't remember the steps however. :eek:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i would love a new Dock Poof if it were worth changing, but all the replacement ones i have seen suck, and i by no means have any clue how to go about creating one myself

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
does anyone think the poof is a little cartoony and seems out of theme with the rest of osx? it almost feels charlie brownish.

im not saying that a poof effect is bad, but maybe a better looking poof that fit more with the aqua interface.

or am i alone on this

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It's interesting that the poof image is a PNG file, since animation isn't a feature of PNG files. A MNG file would have been more appropriate.

The file appears to consist of a single image, 128x640, meant to be used as five separate 128x128 images in sequence. So apparently the single image contains five square areas arranged vertically, and the programs pick out the five images and "play" them in sequence.

I tried creating my own such file and saving it in place of the system's poof.png, but the Finder and Safari continue to use the original version. Perhaps I have to restart the Finder or Safari or reboot for them to take effect.

File /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/poof.png:

Attachments

• poof.png
    poof.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 3,496

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
jmsait19 said:
does anyone think the poof is a little cartoony and seems out of theme with the rest of osx? it almost feels charlie brownish.

im not saying that a poof effect is bad, but maybe a better looking poof that fit more with the aqua interface.

or am i alone on this
It doesn't seem out of place to me. The sound is unobtrusive and serves its purpose well. The graphic uses the same whites and grays of Aqua, so it fits in just fine, IMO.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Doctor Q said:
I tried creating my own such file and saving it in place of the system's poof.png, but the Finder and Safari continue to use the original version. Perhaps I have to restart the Finder or Safari or reboot for them to take effect.

i would assume that you would have to at least restart the finder for the new file to be picked up, if not log out, i am certainly interested if you get it to work, maybe i will like your Poof a bit more hehe

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
PlaceofDis said:
i would assume that you would have to at least restart the finder for the new file to be picked up, if not log out, i am certainly interested if you get it to work, maybe i will like your Poof a bit more hehe

I have a book that tells the steps to make this happen and at the very end of the steps it states "Save, quit and then restart" so yes after you save the new "poof" design you quit out of Photoshop (or out of whatever graphic application you are working in) and then you restart -- I don't know... your system? Since it is a systemwide effect and is used in both the sidebar and the dock I am assuming that it is not as simple as restarting Finder. You can try but I'd rather restart my system than experiment with random activities in Activity Monitor.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
MacRumors Dock Poof - free while supplies last!

I created a MacRumors-themed Dock Poof. PlaceofDis and others are welcome to try it out.

Disclaimer: Tinkering with Mac OS X is not always safe. If you are uncomfortable about changing files inside the /System folder (where Mac OS X lives) or don't have sufficient backups of your system, this procedure may not be for you. Proceed at your own risk.

To install the MacRumors Doc Poof

1. Download the attached zip file and open it to find image file MRpoof.png.

2. Put file MRpoof.png in the Pictures folder of your home folder. You can throw away the zip file.

3. In the Terminal application, do these two sudo commands, entering your Administrative password when prompted and replacing yourname with your Mac OS X user name:
sudo cp "/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/poof.png" "/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/poof.original.png"

sudo cp "/Users/yourname/Pictures/MRpoof.png" "/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/poof.png"

Note: The two sudo commands above probably display as two lines each in your forum window. Be sure to type or copy the whole command as shown, including quote marks, with a space between the lines you see here. It should come out looking like this:
sudo cp "/System/.../poof.png" "/System/.../poof.original.png"
sudo cp "/Users/john/Pictures/MRpoof.png" "/System/.../poof.png"

The first command saves the original poof.png file under the name "poof.original.png" so you can undo this hack if and when you like. The second command installs the MacRumors version in its place.​
4. Make the Dock notice the change:
4a. Remove the Dock's icon cache by navigating in the Finder to folder /Library/Caches (note: not /System/Library/Caches) and deleting all files whose names start with "com.apple.dock.iconcache". You will again be prompted for your administrative password.

4b. Restart the Finder by pressing Command-Option-escape, selecting Finder, and clicking Relaunch. Or simply restart your Mac.​
The MacRumors Dock Poof should be installed. When you remove an item from the dock, it should produce a tiny MacRumors logo instead of the cloud!

If you want to tinker with the sound you hear, it is in this file:
"/System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Contents/Resources/SystemSounds/dock/poof item off dock.aif"

I don't have a replacement AIFF file to offer. Come to think of it, I'm not sure what MacRumors sounds like!​

To uninstall the MacRumors Dock Poof

1. In the Terminal application, do this sudo command:
sudo mv -f "/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/poof.original.png" "/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/poof.png"​
2. Make the Dock notice the change:
2a. Navigate in the Finder to folder /Library/Caches and delete all files whose names start with "com.apple.dock.iconcache".

2b. Restart the Finder by pressing Command-Option-escape, selecting Finder, and clicking Relaunch. Or simply restart your Mac.​
If anybody tries my MacRumors Dock Poof, please tell me if it worked and whether you like it. :)

Attachments

• MRpoof.png.zip
    31.1 KB · Views: 280

Applespider

macrumors G4
Doctor Q said:
Come to think of it, I'm not sure what MacRumors sounds like!

Any pictures? Does the MR logo dissolve or just appear and disappear swiftly. Curious to know before I go playing around...

I've always thought Macrumors would sound like a good pub. A rumble of varied conversations with lots of different voices and excited shouting on occasion! :rolleyes:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Applespider said:
Any pictures? Does the MR logo dissolve or just appear and disappear swiftly. Curious to know before I go playing around...
Here are what the five frames have in them. If you have an image editor, you can play with the png file and make your own. Just keep each frame within its 128x128 area and use a transparent background.

Attachments

• poofshow.png
    poofshow.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 243

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I had a crazy idea. What if the png file wasn't 128x640 (like the one that comes with Mac OS X), but the width and height were some other multiples of 128? I tried one of size 128x1280 but it doesn't seem to play 10 frames in sequence. More experimenting is needed!

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
I thought I was the only one who noticed!

It just seems like Apple got lazy. But it's probably CPU friendly so they chose it over some fancy, 3D effect (though I would still prefer the latter).

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
could always submit your poof to Res excellence for everyone out there to enjoy, even if they wont understand it :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I figured all the artists here could invent much better poofs than I did. I stole the MR logo for my experiments since I'm no good at original art and thought a MacRumors-themed one would be fun to have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.