The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by BaghdadBob, Jul 21, 2003.

1. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2003
    Gorgeous, WA
    OK, there have got to be more Anime fans around these forums than just the ones who posted on the Adult Swim Salutes Apple thread.

So.....who's down with the dope Japanimation, yo?

What's your favorite anime movie? Show? Short-run anime? Short? What was your first significant exposure? Have you made any converts? Favorite merchandise? What sucks? What's the stupidest thing a non-anime fan has said to you about anime?

Let's anime it up around this biyotch!

I will refrain from posting mine for now so as not to steal anyone's thunder like I always do.

And if you dislike anime...why are you reading this?? Go away!!
  2. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2003
    Gorgeous, WA
    Oh, and a hot question: does Spirited Away count as an anime? I say no.
  3. Steradian macrumors 6502

Dec 3, 2002
    San Jose
    well I like many many many different animes, but I would have to say that my favs are Serial Experiments lain ( i got to see it at an animecon a few years ago, then I bought the Boxed set off when it came out) then I would have to say my next would be Dirty Pair (dosn't matter which one), then, perhaps Slayers and RoboTech. Too many good Animes...O I saw Armitage Dual matrix this sat. It was pretty cool.
  4. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2003
    Gorgeous, WA
    I've watched a few episodes of "Slayers" at an anime club meeting...I was like the only one there, but I was 15 or so and had nothing to do that day so I hung around and watched. I'm glad you mentioned, I've been trying to remember the name of that anime for a few weeks.

As for Serial Experiment Lain, I've seen a few of that on Anime Unleashed on TechTV and I have to say it is damn weird. But I like weird. That's why I loved Betterman (which I also saw on Anime Unleashed). The evil nurse episode was so confusing...I didn't know whether to be turned on or really freaked out. I think freaked out won pretty quickly...yep, yep, freaked out, definitely.
  5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Why the hell not first. Its a little... weird but it is aminated and from Japan ergo Japanimation.

I like Cowboy Bebop, it was the first read animated series (well except DBZ/DB, but the censors butched it so...).

I liked the flow the the animation, the characters all had specific sides, and they all were muti colored.

I also like their movie 'knockin' on heavens door' I wish they continued the series i would follow it forever.

what I hate, if you even call it animation -- Pokémon. 1 Dimension Characters ergo never ending plot. I won __ championship, now I gotta go get another one? wtf!

I am also into Trigun but I lost intrest when CN moved it from a time i could watch it (was it all? 11-12 then they moved it to like 1 AM) during school nights and I haven't been able to watch many of the eps afterward, maybe I'll get the DVD's.

I also would totally be into .hack/sign (the whole thing) if these things had happened:
    1. I would need a PS 2.
    2. They already think you know everything about the show at the first eps.
    3. They expect you to see every eps of every show, if you miss like 2 eps back to back your totally screwed.

The dumbest question I was asked was probably:
    "Uhh, you are into anime, HAHHAHA YUO LIKE POEKMON?!?!"
    He was soooo dumb.
  6. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    Does "Speed Racer" count? Nothing beats that IMHO.
  7. beg_ne macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2003
    Re: The Anime Thread

Favorite Movie: Armitage Dual Matrix (It's the best one I can think of, I don't have much in the way of movies, just series)

Favorite Series/Short-Run Series: Boogiepop Phantom (Actually it's my second favorite, you'll have to earn my trust and respect to find out my true favorite. I make a huge distinction between the wanna be "OMG DBZ is teh best anime evar!!" people and the REAL anime fans.)

Favorite Short: Colorful. A very good collection of shorts, and scary how true some of it really is. ;)
    The only bad thing about it is that it's done by ADV who IMO take way too much credit. Try going through the special features on one of their DVD"s and you'd swear they were the ones who came up and created the anime in the first place. When all they really do is bad translations and sub-par voice acting.

No Converts. Not into merchandise.

What sucks? Pokemon of course.

Stupidest thing a non-anime fan has ever said. Well according to the person they were a fan of anime, but they obviously weren't. What they said was, "Yeah, Heavy Metal is my FAVORITE anime." To which the reply in my head was, "What? You moron Heavy Metal isn't anime!"

Oh yeah, and whats up with the "japanimation" thats like an ANTIQUE term. :)
  8. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2003
    Gorgeous, WA
    Yeah, I know "Japanimation" is wack...I was just trying to be cool.... :( WAAAAAAAA!

I like DBZ, but I didn't for a long time. I just hope GT has less talking in it. It amazes me how much their production quality went up between the Cell and Buu sagas though, and again some more by the end of the Buu saga. And no, I do not have the spare dinero to invest in the uncensored versions, I wish I did. Some day. Only $40,000 in payments between me and reckless spending.

OK, I'm gonna be lame and I have to say Akira for my favorite movie. It was close to if not my first anime, and it still blows me away sometimes. The DVD remastering is AWESOME, although with the new voice re-dubbing they took out my favorite lines:

"Man, just when my coil was reaching the green line..."

"Men! We're going to the olympics!" :D

Plus I don't like the way they added music to the space scene with the Sol satellite. But the clean up job they did with the cells...with the quality of animation (except facially) in that movie, as clean as it looks now it could have come out yesterday.

Plus, I think we all can thank Akira for bringing anime to the unwashed masses in America.

BTW, I have one of the Tin editions of the DVD. Got it for $20 at employee at Borders tipped me off, of all things. That was totally righteous.
  9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Which Akira's, I think they re-did it.

The original or the more recent one?

I saw the recent one, it was ok, but I defiantly didn't like that he turned into the blog monster. Or a trapper-keeper. (south park re-make).
  10. Tequila Grandma macrumors regular

May 17, 2003
    Boston MA
    I was never that large on anime. I was always just a general film fan, and if a film I wanted to see happened to be animated, so be it. I never particularly sought out something simply because it was animated and from Japan. That being said, here's a rundown of some of the anime series/films I've viewed...

I've seen quite a bit of "Lain", which is visually stunning, and atmospheric. The series is somewhat slow-paced, but manages to hold the viewer's attention quite well. I've seen all of the "Evangelion" series, and honestly believe it's one of the single greatest pieces of visual entertainment ever created. It's immensely complex, and endlessly fascinating, blah blah blah -- not enough time to write a blurb that woudl fully do it justice.

Another notable "anime" film I've seen is "Perfect Blue", which I regard as an exquisite horror film. It reminds me a great deal of Dario Argento's starkly shot 1982 film, "Tenebrae". It's bizarre and suspenseful. Highly recommended.

Of course, I'm also a big fan of Hayao Miyazaki's legendary children's film, "Tanari No Totoro". Neko Bus rules like none other. A parent of a friend of mine claimed that the film had to have been produced by a crack addict. I'd really have to agree with this statement, and I love the film because of it. Just look, I even own a Totoro backpack that I essentially use as a purse (thus affirming my faginess)!

I've seen MUCH more anime than what's listed above, but for the sake of keeping this post short (and sweet), I'll stop now.
  11. Physiognome macrumors member

Jul 19, 2003
    My top movie would be Princess Mononoke. I still haven't seen Akira. I have half of the graphics novels and because of that I'll probably be disappointed when I get around to it.

Comedic series of choice is Excel Saga and slightly less comedic series of choice is good old Cowboy Bebop.

My favorite short-run (OVA) would be either Read or Die, or .hack//Liminality. I don't think I've ever seen any shorts per se... would Digi Charat specials count?

If the foot-high stack of Yuki Kajiura CDs count, they are my favorite merchandise. Otherwise, I guess it's the pretty and dirt-cheap too Card Captor Sakura cel hanging on my wall. That was bought before the series crossed the ocean, back when fansub trading required FedEx and the elite otaku all had SVHS decks. :)
  12. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    "Speed Racer" was OK, but my fave back in those days was "Star Blazers" (aka "Space Cruiser Yamato"?). It had a neat story line and good characters.
  13. Das macrumors regular

Jan 28, 2003
    My first real bout with anime (when I actually knew what anime was) was with DBZ and ranma 1/2 way back in jr high. I also liked Tenchi, Grave of the Fireflies, Ninja Scroll, Aeon Flux, Astro Boy, 3x3, Black Magic 66, VP Hunter, Guyver, ronin, cowboy, Macross and a bunch of tapes from Japanese television. I can't even remember all of the movies I watched. All before it was cool (hide your fansubs in shame). Now things like DBZ are cool...great timing...

Anyhoo, fav movie goes to Grave of The Fireflies. Most touching anime ever. Made me almost cry...*sniff*'s allergies!

Worst movie goes to Akira. Man, I must be the only person who didn't like this movie. I thought the way they perfectly moved it from comics to animation was great, but the movie (and series) was too convoluted for my taste. The only reason I really don't like it is that it's everywhere. Most other anime movies I don't like fade away into my vault of forgotten memories next to college calculus and don't stay to remind me..

Worst Series goes to DBZ (unless you count Spawn as an anime). I mean, when it first started, the animation was crude, but it was still cool to see guys being flung through mountains. Flash forward and nothing has changed much. For newcomers, it's still a great anime, just got stale for me.

Best series...hmmm...I'm still all hoped up on Trigun for some frickin reason. I haven't watched too many animes lately; they've gotten too similar, vulgar and stupid. It takes a fresh anime to get my interest. If anyone knows of a good fresh anime, let me know.
  14. plonk420 macrumors newbie

Jul 22, 2003
    ohhhhh, to say Spirited Away is not anime is ... horrific. the director/creator Miyazaki is, as "they" like to put it, the equivalent of Walt Disney, only to japanese animation.

however since this thread is leaning towards what's your favorite anime, i'll go that direction too.

movie: either Spirited Away or Laputa (i like movies with some kind of closure or something other than extreme dispair as in the darn good Grave of the Fireflies)

show: Azumanga Daioh

short: Dragon Half

short run: Jojo's Bi-zzare Adventure, Tenchi (original OAV)

series: Escaflowne, Love Hina, Chobits

first exposure: Sci-Fi's original week-o-anime, Lensman, A-Ko, Robot Carnival, Vampire Hunter D, (something else)

converts? sure? my aunt/uncle/cousin, who, up to this point thought it was only violent/sex driven/etc etc insert anime cliche here

merchandise: too poor, always buying computer parts, movies, anime

what sucks: a post series OVA series capitalizing on a series success, IE, Love Hina Again, Jungle Wa Itsumo... Deluxe

studpidist thing: the only reason this girl i like won't watch anime is because the "HUGE" eyes bug the crap out of her, and the mouth movement not aligning perfectly. aaargh!
  15. Cnoffis macrumors newbie

Movie: either Nausicaa of the Walley of the Wind or My Neighbour Totoro (both by Miyazaki Hayao)

Series: Serial Experiments Lain, Cowboy Bebop and Trigun

OAV: Read or Die and FLCL

anyone here seen "Memories"?
  16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Yeah Akira was pretty lame, decent annimation, but sucky story line.

'Its a rebellious person, add that he turnes into an all powerfull blob and you get this movie' -- Me. :rolleyes:
  17. pEZ macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2003
    Madison, Wisconsin
    OMG, someone mentioned Memories - I want to see it so bad, but the cheapest price I can find on the DVD is $83 US. And I refuse to get the VHS, just no point. I'm a huge fan of Katsuhiro Otomo, and not necessarily because of Akira, mostly because of Metropolis. He didn't direct it, but he perfected the screenplay. Now THAT'S talent.

I need to watch more anime - I went to Anime Central in Chicago in June, but I only got to stay for a few hours - hardly worth the price of the $35 admission I paid for. Next year will be different.

My fave series has to be Cowboy Bebop - if the ending of that series doesn't stay with you, there's a problem. bang.....
    Though Serial Experiments Lain definitely receives the award for most bizarre. No matter how much you try, you can't watch it one sitting. You get too boggled.

I still haven't seen Boogiepop Phantom - those of you who have seen it, what is it like?

I also still haven't seen Evangelion. Yeah, I know. I just haven't had time. Or money.
  18. alia macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    I'm a pretty big fan and an avid collector. Some of my favorites are Jubei Chan, Escaflowne, Fugishi Yuugi, His and Her Circumstances, Fruits Basket... you could say I'm a girlie anime fan.

I also liked some of the darker stuff, though, like Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, X TV, Samurai X (the OAV), Vampire Hunter D, etc.

I've watched too much to recount.

Also, the silly comedies are good too, like Ranma 1/2, Magic User's Club, Martian Successor Nadesico, Ah My Goddess, etc.

I actually really hated Princess Mononoke... I don't know what it is about that anime, but I disliked it a lot. My boyfriend even got it for me last christmas, and I returned it (I had already knew I hated it and he did too, the dingus!). :D

I'm even learning some Japanese for fun.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Yoroiden Samurai Troopers, which I think is Ronin Warriors or some such in the U.S.A., is my favourite and the Gundam series are second to that. DragonBall Zeddo is great too.

I'll watch most of it, especially if it's still in Japanese.
  20. dreamlance macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2002
    wouldn't you like to know?
    Miyazaki is my God! Don't blaspheme him :D

Movies: Ghost in the Shell, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away
    Shows: Gundam Wing, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Tenchi
  21. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    ;) niiiice!!!

...but my favorite is the original version of "Sei Jushi Bismarck" but please NOT the crappy edited US "Saber Rider"-version.

the worst one I have seen is "metropolis". ridiculous plot, annoying characters... just horrible :eek:

22. Skull Leader macrumors member

Jun 17, 2003

it may be a bit dated, but I personally feel that ROBOTECH was the greatest Anime of all time! Intelligent story and character depth. I'm actually making a StarCraft Mod based on the series, and extending a lot of the 'untold' portions of the storyline in creating the game.

Check it out at

Problem is that even though I develop it on my Mac, the mod programs are ony for Windows PC! :mad:. However, it works fine on my PowerBook under Virtual PC /w Windows 98. :D

Skull Leader.
  23. pEZ macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2003
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Booooooo..... ;)
    Metropolis is one of my favorites - they just did such an awesome job with the animation, and I think the plotline was really good. Watch "Metropolis" from the 1920s or thereabouts, the plotline in the anime is actually very good, when you tie that into it.

And "I Can't Stop Loving You" totally worked at the end....I don't care what anyone else says.... :D

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Blood: The Last Vampire - it was mastered entirely on a Mac! Very short for a movie (only like 45 minutes long), but very well done, and leaves a ton up to the imagination - I like movies that do that.
  24. Physiognome macrumors member

Jul 19, 2003

Well, Macross is good, but the way the American publisher kludged 3 completely different series into 1 was not cool.
  25. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    Heh. That was actually the only way I understood the thing: I was sick one day, figured my fever would add to the effect and sat down and watched the entire box set in one fell swoop. I *think* it made sense.

First thing I was exposed to was Star Blazers, back in first grade; then Voltron much later. I managed somehow to miss both Speed Racer and Robotech (the book series is better anyway, in my opinion). Then Akira let me know there was more serious stuff out there.

I've been watching all the anime that my neighbor can feed me, lately, but what's stuck with me have been Cowboy BeBop, Trigun, Lain, and Evangelion. I don't usually go for the more shoujo titles like Fugishi Yuugi, though we've been doing Inu Yasha lately. It's a nice Ranma-ish romp with a good overlay of Japanese-folkloric horror, but some of the character types are just TOO reminiscent of Ranma.

But ooooh! How can you say that Sprited Away isn't anime, Baghdad Bob?!? :eek: Everything Miyazaki's done--from Totoro up to the present--has been great in no small part BECAUSE it's not like most other anime (well, that makes it to this country anyway--anime isn't percieved as a separate genre in Japan the way it is here).

My college roommate is actually doing up her nursery in a Totoro theme--I'm going to Otakon to try and get her stuff! If anyone knows a good source for Totoro-specific merchandise suitable for a baby's room, let me know!