The Anti-iPod Case Brigade

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mdickson, Sep 16, 2006.

1. mdickson macrumors regular

Jul 8, 2006
    Baton Rouge, La.
    So right now I have a white 5g 30 gig that I have an iskin evo3 case for. It's alright and does it's job and all so it's ok.

I just ordered one of the new black 80 gig ipods and am thinking about not using a case. While the case does protect the ipod, it does take away from the aesthetics that are partly responsible for the ipod being so desirable.

Do any of you not use a case for your ipod, and if so what kind of shape are they in now?

By the way, if I get a case for this I'll probably stick with another iskin evo3 one.
  2. nutman macrumors regular

May 19, 2006
    i used to with my 4g. but after awhile, it just got annoying. i dont use a case, and its not in terrible condition. yes, there are scratches, but it makes my ipod feel more like its mine.
  3. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2005
    Perth, Oztrailya
    Well... I sometimes use the case that came with my 5G. So I slip it in there for protection while it's in my pocket, but will take it out if it's going to be on my desk. I'm not too worried about scratches, and I only have a few on the back. I don't want to buy too much into the iPod accessory scene. I'm unlikely to sell it so I don't care much for its appearance.
  4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2006
    Carlisle, Up Norf!
    Does an iPod Sock count as a case?

If not I use one of those on my Mini, and its perfect. Alloy tho, but still, screen doesn't have ay scratches at all...
  5. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Mar 7, 2006
    I got a couple of replies in my thread suggesting a kind of plastic that coats the iPod and is apparently very scratch-resistant.
    That seems like a very happy medium between protection and looks.
  6. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    I put a case on my 'pod because the woman, who bought it for me, insisted that I do so. Personally, I'm in favor of going caseless ... I don't mind if my gear gets scratched (better sexy and scratched than sexy and all bundled up).

Oh dear.
  7. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Sep 4, 2005
    1. 5Gs scratch very easily
    2. If your not worried about the chrome, at least use one for the screens sake. Whats the point in a video iPod if the screens all scratched?
    3. Black shows more scratches than white.
    4. iPod socks are surprisingly good. I have a couple. :)
  8. Dark macrumors regular

Aug 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    I had a case on my 4th gen and it wasnt too bad because it was white. However when I had a case on my black nano ....any spec of dirt that gets under the case will rub the finish off and scratch the crap out of it and made it look like total crap. Hence why i bought a white video yesterday. I now use those Crystal Film covers that work fantastic.
  9. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2006
    I used a case for a while with my 3g, when I really valued it. Then I stopped using the case for a while and the batter life went wayyy down so apple sent me a refurb replacement. Since it was in such good visual condition I used the case again. Then it became old and I cared less about aesthetic and more about music, so I stopped with the case. Now I have a 5g, which I bought with my own money, which makes it very valuble to me (the old one was a present), and it is much newer, plus I throw it in my bag all the time, so I use an agent18 on it all the time. In time, I'm sure I'll stop using that case, but for the time being, it has kept my ipod pristine.
  10. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    I absolutely hate iPod cases. They are big, bulky, don't fit in your clothing right and are difficult to control when you need to just make a quick volume change or whatnot. That's why i love iPod socks, you can flick them out of your pocket, slide it out, change whatever, slide it back in and you're good to go in no time.

When i had a 4G i used a speck case and hated it. I went around "naked" for a while (;) ) but was given a free purple sock from a friend and never looked back.

As to the 5Gs, they do scratch, and the cases they come with suck. When i upgraded to a 5G, sliding it in and out of that case like an iPod sock tore the stitching on the side of the case in a few weeks. Low quality stuff, had to go back to the sock :(
  11. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Aug 30, 2006
    Bought some £5 case for my g5 white video ipod, it does the job, has a rubber-like texture, only thing is, there's nothing protecting the screen! the screen has no protection whatsoever, which seems sliiiightly stupid to me. but the case is alright, isn't too big..although the rubber texture does mean i have slight trouble getting it in and out of my pocket.
  12. abeyk macrumors regular

Jul 9, 2006
    Houston, TX
  13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    I only use a case when I'm taking it outside....My 4gig nano lived in its plastic case but it started getting on my nerves so I released it from its cage and let it run free.

14. mdickson thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 8, 2006
    Baton Rouge, La.
    So it sounds like the socks may be the way to go. They seem like a good mix of protection and also the pleasing look of the ipod.
  15. hollerz macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2006
    Durham, UK
    I've never used any case at all. It's got a few scratches on but doesn't bother me one bit, it still does its job of playing music, and I don't find they detract from its sexiness. I don't really understand why people care so much about scratches to be honest, but hey, thats just me!
  16. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    i only really care about them getting on my screen, the body protection is just an added bonus :)
  17. barnacle macrumors regular

Aug 25, 2006
    maya beach, belize
    i don't have access to all the many choices, but now i am using a DLO action jacket. it is kinda rubber and leaves the screen and wheel open. has to be removed to fit in docking stations.
    i have to have a case and the more robust the better. will be ordering an otterbox soon. not so much scratches but envriroment issues here on the beach.
  18. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2004
    ct, us
    I use an iPod sock regularly, but I have an Otterbox case for more extreme conditions.
  19. Lau Guest

Well, that's all very well, but think of the babies! I mean, scratches.

I used a sticky-back-plastic protector for the back and screen of my 4G, and it worked very nicely without changing the shape. I'm thinking of getting a new nano though, and I suspect I may well not bother with any protection for that.
  20. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2005
    The only case I'll get is the i1010 from Pelican. And that's far too large to fit in my pocket. :cool:
  21. technicolor macrumors 68000

Dec 21, 2005
    I use a Contour Showcase its clear. I cant imagine now having it in a case. I rather "hide" it than scratch it up.
  22. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    Naked iPods FTW!!!

I used the belt clip that came with my 3rd gen iPod for a while but then ended up just sticking it in my pocket. Someone bought me a case for my Nano but the stupid thing makes it 3 times the size of the Nano itself so I don't use it.
  23. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    Invisibleshield. Looks naked, doesn't scratch. Apple isn't shy about tying up with companies which make stuff which works great, so I wonder why they don't sell them as an option when you buy.
  24. NATO macrumors 68000

Feb 14, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    All I've ever used are iPod socks and my iPods are pristine...
  25. m-dogg macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2004
    I use the Bavaria Pod Pouch - It's kinda like an iPod sock, but way cooler!

(Well, maybe not cooler, but I like the wool & cordurouy options better!)

I like these slide in/out cases because it's easier to take it out when you want to put it into the dock or just have it out next to you while you're using it. Too many iPod cases are just too big and clunky for my tastes.