The Apple Cinema Display 20" (my two cents as a new owner)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Shacklebolt, May 19, 2005.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Sep 2, 2004

This monitor is friggin' gorgeous. I now know where the price difference between the Dell FPW2005 and the ACD 20" comes from. Yes, it comes from Apple markup. And why does Apple feel entitled to markup the same screen the Dell has? Because it's the most aesthetically appealing monitor ... ever. And they figure that that costs (ACD20" - DellFPW2005) dollars. Whether or not it's worth it is entirely up to the consumer, as aesthetics is, of course, subjective. One might say, "aesthetics are kind of ridiculous when it comes to something like a monitor," and I'd normally be inclined to agree with you. But what I can say is, I see where Apple feels entitled. They put out a product which no one else puts out - they saw the concept of a "monitor" and said, "Why don't we give it a dimension beyond functionality?" So there ya have it. Personally... I think it's way cool.
  2. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    I hear you. I have the same opinion on the ACD 20". Because I liked it so much, I got a 23" ACD as well. It was a big dent in my wallet but ACD's design and performance are good enough to warrant Apple's premium pricing. If the budget is too tight, there is always an alternative such as Dell. But, if you have money to spend, this is THE LCD monitor. Also noteworthy feature of ACD is there is no vent (which means the inards of the monitor is sealed and protected against dusts.
  3. Silver Surfer macrumors newbie

May 9, 2005
    I think the ACD 20" is great, but I'm thinking of getting the 23" as well for when I upgrade to a Power Mac.
  4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    23 rocks :cool:
  5. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    I've heard a lot of threads about problems with the 23", none about the 20" though, and i think that's my price point anyway! :)
  6. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    Personally, when I look at the 20" it looks sorta disproportionate. Does anyone get what I mean? It looks as if the foot is too big for the screen, well it's hard to explain.
  7. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 2, 2004
  8. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2005
    Northern California
    Thanks for the info. I'll be picking one up in the next few days, so it's good to hear I'm spending my money well ...
  9. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    I know what your talking about. The 23" looks alot more proportionate in comparison. But if you look at the 20" outside of the store and not side by side with the 23" it looks fine. Must be the RDF. :p
  10. Kirbdog macrumors regular

Feb 3, 2005
    Whistler, British Columbia, Canada
    I got my very first look at the ACD 20" the other day and I was very impressed. I have it on my to get list but I won't have money till I am done school. It will be nice to work off a big monitor at home, the 20" monitor makes my 12" Powerbook look very small afterwards. But that is overstating the obvious.
  11. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Aug 23, 2003
    Fort Myers, FL
    I second that ;) Best $1500 I've ever spent. It's a work of art. Gotta admit though, $799 for a 20" is a darn good deal.
  12. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Jan 24, 2004
    East Lansing, MI
    Great, another satisfied customer. I wish people wouldn't post these kinds of things because my goodness man, I'm dying to get that 23" and have had my eye on it for months now, but just can't seem to pull the trigger for $$$ reasons. Last thing I need to hear/read is the thing is the real deal. :D

Congratulations on your purchase. I've given myself a fall deadline to pick one of them up. But by that time there will probably be OLED and/or price drop rumors and... it's a cruel world.
  13. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004
  14. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2005
    If you can afford it, it is a good choice. For a few minutes I was torn between the ACD 20" and the Dell (after I had ordered the ACD) because of the steep price difference.

On the ACD, it's not just the look of the panel from the front - it's the whole package as the original post pointed out! The "distraction" is minimum - as if it were proclaiming "I'm THE monitor and I'll make things as simple and as uncluttered for you as I can". The single cabling interface to carry power and the Firewire/USB blows away the whole concept of "common" monitor design. Also notable are the feather touch buttons on the side to adjust brightness - you lightly brush your finger and it's ready to respond, unlike a plastic button that we're normally used to pressing hard (and hearing the sound of the button being pressed).

If Dell decided to make these changes, they may still be able to keep the prices way below Apple, but the undisputable fact is that Apple has shown that thoughtfulness in design - it does take a completely different mindset to go beyond functionality and think about how the ambience and usability is affected by a product.

The debate about which is better would never end, but people on either side of the camp are happy with their respective choices. :) So if you do go for the 20" ACD, don't forget for a moment that it's NOT "just another mass produced product".