The Apple Influence

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TheMasin9, Dec 30, 2005.

1. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

Isnt it crazy how much a single company can influence an industry.

Here comes Apple computer, with its tiny marketshare tells intel it wants to use its chips, intel changes whole marketing strategy.

Here comes Apple Computer, a nobody in the music industry aside from a so so music player called the iPod. Introduced the iTunes Music Store to the suffering music industry and chanes the way we buy music.

Here comes Apple Computer, again a nobody in media computers. Introduces the new iMac g5 with frontrow, computer becomes an instant classic and gets rave reviews for its media interface.

Its crazy how a company with such innovation can change the path of major industries in the world

2. Linam macrumors regular

Exactly it changed the tech world for ever, like the sears catalogue!

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

they've done much more than just that. trust me.

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Word. What PlaceofDis said.

They popularized the GUI, the mouse.. made computers (semi)affordable.

yada yada yada, I get all my history from a movie. (It was based on fact, so it's cool that I quote it as fact.:p)

5. Linam macrumors regular

What movie?

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Pirates of Silicon Valley. amazon link

7. Linam macrumors regular

Thanks

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hasn't Apple been the defacto company for music production software up until the last 5 years or so?

9. TheMasin9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

i know

i was just referring to the recent events, i know how far back the apple influence goes...

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This movie is more fiction than fact...

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It doesn't matter

Yes, it is easy to go back when they basically invented the PC but in the late 90's when they were on the down and out it was nice to see a come back. I really can see the need for a sequel "Pirates of Silicon Valley 2". I want to see what is going in the back rooms like when they were developing a Intel version and IBM boardrooms and all that secret stuff.

The movie should start off with Bill Gates saying "It doesn't matter" when Steve told him we had better stuff. At the end of the movie, Gates can tell Jobs, "We are bigger than you. We have more money, MS Office, .NET, and we have Xbox." Steve can reply "It doesn't matter."

12. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

13. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Yeah, I know, it's still a wee primer that wikipedia tell you the rest of.
    *shrug*

14. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Apple pretty much invented desktop publishing with the introduction of the first Mac and the LaserWriter.

They are currently revolutionizing portable video and downloadable TV shows.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't specifically remember all the liberties they took, but I recall watching this movie when it was first broadcast and feeling just a little outraged that the writers apparently hadn't consulted any of the many historical references available on the subject. They got things wrong that they could just as easily have gotten right.

16. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I bet it was some dates, people get lazy about those. In fact, when I was at the Smithsonian exhibit of the history of the computer they said that the Macintosh was released in 1983!!! I never did get around to telling them:eek: , hope someone else fixed it, it was a year and a half ago.

17. Avialan macrumors newbie

Avialan

Apple

Apple is a company like no other

I don't know if I could even call it a company, it's way beyond the name "company"

all other companies (microsoft, dell) are afraid of innovation, but apple, it's not like the rest (it's different)

when all other companies where using words (microsoft BASIC) as the OS of the computer, apple decided to think different and use images and icons (GUI)

Apple, nothing was better, nothing is better, and (maybe) nothing will be better

and all this from a switcher at heart (don't own a mac, hate windows, hope that the next computer I use is a mac (also I go to the apple store way too much for my own good, I'm praticaly learning mac os x while using windows); though I am not considered a switcher because I don't own a mac)

18. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Thanks for providing the reference to the movie. I was aware of the film but never saw it. Consequently, I went to my library website and placed a hold on it, and I am the only person currently waiting for it ... that means I should have it within 10 days.

Then I went to the Internet Movie Database (imdb.com) to see the comments about the film. It was interesting to come across the following two items:

* Trivia: At the 1999 Macworld conference, shortly after the premiere of this TV movie, the audience was stunned to learn that the introductory comments were made not by Steve Jobs, but by Noah Wyle, reprising his role in this film. The real Steve Jobs emerged and traded jokes with Wyle.

* Goofs: Anachronisms: When Bill Gates first enters Apple HQ, the URL of Apple's website is visible on the glass doors.

I am also annoyed when laziness plus other reasons detract somewhat from a film's overall enjoyment when screenwriters perpetuate inaccuracies that should have been avoided had extra effort been taken to verify facts. Even with flaws, I am looking forward to watching this film shortly after it is picked-up from the library branch four blocks from my office.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That's putting it mildly! ;)

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

They wouldn't have got too far without Adobe's licensing of Postscript in those LaserWriters... TrueType was still a gleam in Apple's eye at this stage. Adobe deserve far more credit here for backing the Mac and only dropped the ball when they got all nasty about licensing Type 1 font technology.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not that I remember. I do recall some pretty blatant inaccuracies regarding the early history of the relationship between Microsoft and IBM, but the specifics don't come to mind. It the movie plays on TV again, I suppose I'll try to watch it again and make notes.