The Apple-Microsoft relationship

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ChrisH3677, Jan 8, 2004.

1. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

2. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

I'm waiting for Apple to stop supporting Microsoft's monopoly by producing a new application like OpenOffice.org or supporting this alternative to Microsoft Office by helping to move the latest version of the software to OS X.

3. ChrisH3677 thread starter macrumors 6502a

don't hold your breath! Coz that's exactly what my post is highlighting *won't* happen. Especially with Steve saying in the keynote to use MS Office.

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

ms could afford to be nice to apple if they want...heck, they have 97 percent of the market at this time:p

5. mislabeledstar macrumors regular

Premiere didn't get killed due to Apple's "doom", i t got killed because Apple produced a far superior product (FCP).

6. ChrisH3677 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I didn't agree with that bit either. Certainly clutching at straws.

Interestingly both Lotus and Intuit have their flagship products (Notes and Quicken) on OSX. So developers are coming back to the Mac.

7. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

So... m$ stayed with Apple 'cause they could make a buck through them? Or they stayed because they actually cared? The first reason makes more sense where m$ is concerned.

I'm not surprised Jobs uses Office at home...what else is he going to use? AppleWorks? [​IMG]

8. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

"It's like Microsoft Office for the rest of your life
    Introducing iLife '04"

The current title page of apple australia's web page.
    Hey I don't really care, since I use a home brew K7 Athlon system, but it does seem odd.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Another reason MS might keep developing for mac is so they don't seem so monopoly-ish.

But Apple maintains a relationship with MS out of necessity. I doubt many people would switch if they couldn't get word on the mac.

scem0

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Who knows, though. It was said that IE was an important program that could make or break switchers considering a Macintosh, but look how Safari has made that. Now I only use IE to log onto my Sprint PCS account since that's all it is really good for. The same could happen for MS Office. It's the only Microsoft program I had to purchase since Appleworks doesn't cut it and none of the other alternatives have impressed me thus far. If another killer Office app comes out, MS Office could end up the same way as IE.