The Apple Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DarkNetworks, Jul 30, 2005.

1. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Why is there only one click in the Apple Mouse? :confused:

2. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Because Apple is just so cool they don't need 2 button mice :p

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I could make up some long story and so could others. We could have have a lot of fun with this. The truth is that Apple feels that users only need one button. There have been many rumors about a two button (or more) Apple mouse. I don't see it happening any time soon. One click is fine with me (except for gaming).

4. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I bought it b'cos it is cool but now when i'm using it, i kinda regret for not listening to the guy at the Apple Store who said, "it's not practical and it's not worth the price"
    :(

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have no problems using the one button, i hardly ever need to control click either so it works out well for me i guess, but to each their own i suppose, different people, different uses

6. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Please do a search there are a lot of threads that have asked this question. Move along.

7. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

The short answer is that Apple decided sometime back that were they to move to two buttons (we're talking late 80s here) that the advantage of the second (contextual menus) would become a crutch for 3rd party software developers. (this was the same reason the Mac didn't ship w/ a command line interface; ISVs might not have made GUI programs but just had all their programs remain text driven to run in "DOS" boxes) Given an easy assumption that users will eventually try the contextual menu, they would cease to bother to have interfaces that provided functionality in an intuitive fashion. This proved to be a reasonable concern (you do see context menu hell in Windows apps)... and yet for gaming more buttons is a necessity.

I just have two; a one button bluetooth mouse for most things, and a wired "gaming mouse". I find it a reasonable compromise as I don't like using wired mice most of the time, but for games few wireless mice can be relied upon.

-RS

8. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Using OS X and applications is much easier when using a proper control device. The one-button mouse is good on a laptop because the Control button on the keyboard is always near the trackpad, but it is very annoying on a desktop. My Carpal Tunnel Syndrome symptoms have decreased significantly since I began using a trackball.

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

That's what I do as well. And the wired mouse is a requirement for when the BT mouse doesn't pair automatically for some reason or other.

10. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I finally have a desktop so i can have a one button mouse (aside trackpad) and i use the one button for a lot of things, but i love my studio mouse

11. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

For people who play World of Warcraft : do you see a need to have a multiple-button mouse? I have no idea how the user interface is set up, but I imagine if it is like any other game I've played, there are about 4 dozen reasons to right-click.

12. aboutthat macrumors regular

Oops. :p The irony is just killing me...

13. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Air traffic controllers are warning of large masses of unidentified objects in the airspace, appearing to originate from Cupertino and making aberrant oinking sounds. :)

14. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

As they say, "s**t happens". At least I didn't say it will never happen. :eek:

15. CiBoys macrumors regular

CiBoys

hey... at least we won't have to answer this question for the PC people anymore. :cool: