Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Didnt the student iPod deal end yesterday in the UK, so it could be getting rid of those signs. Or as this is a rumor site now that the deal has ended to get rid of old stock they are going to bring in new stuff.

I bought my computer (20" 2gb ram 256 vram) on the 5th to get another iPod for family or friends at cost price, and a nice upgrade from my iMac g5 17"

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Apple always makes maintenance on Sunday 2 am West Coast time.

If we have to go through the "ØMG! Momrom MBP now!" every sunday morning, I think a lot of people will wind up on my ignore list...:p

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Now when you add a qualifiying computer (for the ipod deal) to your basket it no longer gives you a page with the discounted iPod prices and an option to buy. Also the adds for that deal are no longer on the educational site.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
The UK store is still not up.
I am still thinking about an update on Tuesday though, the store has been down a long time and twice now in a week.
I just want my MB now after the saga of getting it cancelled by Apple.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
®îçhå®? said:
I am still thinking about an update on Tuesday though, the store has been down a long time and twice now in a week.

The Danish is not up either. It's just maintenance. I hope for Tuesday.:D

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
®îçhå®? said:

Well it was when i posted above you, accessed it both from higher educational and normal apple store. It is working fine, but then again i am accessing it from a (BORROWED) dell inspiron 1200 so maybe it knows i need a new computer.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Don't you guys find the store quite pathetic? I mean Apple stores actually go down for maintainance quite a lot. Is it due to a flaw in OSX server?

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
generik said:
Don't you guys find the store quite pathetic? I mean Apple stores actually go down for maintainance quite a lot. Is it due to a flaw in OSX server?
By maintenance, it normally goes down for bammers to be changed, list to be updated etc as well as obviously adding new products. It is not that it is a crap site but the fact that there are lots of things that need to be updated.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
®îçhå®? said:
By maintenance, it normally goes down for bammers to be changed, list to be updated etc as well as obviously adding new products. It is not that it is a crap site but the fact that there are lots of things that need to be updated.

Hands up for anyone who has ever seen Amazon.com have "down time" like this before.

It seems like Apple needs to reboot their servers every week or something, much like how Microsoft "servers" need to be, lol.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Thank you for shopping at the Apple Online Store

Apple's Online and phone Order Status services are temporarily unavailable due to a scheduled upgrade to our systems.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

like always:rolleyes:

Applespider

macrumors G4
generik said:
Hands up for anyone who has ever seen Amazon.com have "down time" like this before.

Exactly; most other websites manage to add new products without taking an hour of downtime to do so. If you think about it, the non-store parts of Apple manage to do it - they flip from showing iLife 05 to 06 during the Keynote (while everyone is busy clicking on the 'We'll be back soon' in the store)

riciad

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Ireland
They seem to have forgotten to put back the Irish Store. I've been trying to check an order and it's still down.

Applespider

macrumors G4
mad jew said:
The Apple Store downtime is a product of Apple's marketing department, not their IT department.

Sure... and it makes sense to build the excitement during a Keynote and stop the hassle of people ordering old systems and then them having to run extra maintenance scripts to upgrade them all.

But I do begin to wonder if it isn't partially IT since where's the marketing reason for taking down the stores for an extended period for apparently nothing? In this instance, if it was possible for IT just to hit a 'replicate' button, you'd have thought they'd have done that - and save the sticky for when there is some talk to be generated.

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Applespider said:
Exactly; most other websites manage to add new products without taking an hour of downtime to do so. If you think about it, the non-store parts of Apple manage to do it - they flip from showing iLife 05 to 06 during the Keynote (while everyone is busy clicking on the 'We'll be back soon' in the store)

Apple takes the store down for the same reason Steve always has "one more thing..." it's there way to cause drama. think about it. 3am and tons of people were freaking out. could they keep there site maintained and not take it offline? yes. but remember, this happened a few tuesdays ago. it's possible this could be the foundation for a release this week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.