The apple that returned to the tree

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by X-Morgan, Jul 14, 2006.

1. X-Morgan macrumors member

Hey guys an' gals, how's it all doing?

I'm new to the forum but I've been in the shadows for the past 3 months secretly reading all of your little forum posts, waiting for the right time to strike, and here I am!

I'm Chris Morgan from Scotland, 19 years old and I have an Apple iMac, and I couldn't be more happy about it, here's my story

Enter me: a guy who loves games, I could snipe you when playing Enemy Territory with my eyes closed, a real l33t player if you could call me that:rolleyes: but I was getting weary, I needed something else. Put your feet in my shoes:
    January 2006, my PC is now 5 years old, extemly slow and beige, with limited upgrade options:

Intel Celeron 633MHz
    Soyo SV-7VCA
    384MB PC66 RAM
    GeForce 2 MX400
    20GB WD Hard Drive

Face it, I was on the winning end of the loosers side, I knew it had to change, getting into EVE: Online my system taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back from getting nowhere to nowhere, seeing 15fps was an achievement, my E-Penis was deflating rapidly, although I must admit the system was pretty secure, 5 years of marriage and I knew my PC like the back of my hand, i saw the moodswings, the good times the bad times. Pretty much I knew everything about it.

But time was getting on.

I look at my bank account and run the figures, I can afford a £700($1,200) system.

I decided to start from scratch: a whole new system. I look at the prices and I get the parts I needed to secure my place once again as the best sniper in ET. After 5 years of being the underdog, I thought I deserved something with a bit more 'ommph' into what my eyes were seeing, so I take the plunge:

AMD Athlon64 3500
    Asus A8N-SLI SE
    1GB DDR400 Cosair (512MB x 2)
    2 x GeForce 6800 GS in SLi mode
    160GB WD Hard Drive
    Sony DVD-RW
    And a 3rd party case called EZCOOL that made basterdised G5 clones

The stage was set, everything was flawless, I was ready to maul, destroy and conquer all those who dared tried to 'pwn' me. I buy all the latest games that my PC would run at max settings on.

F.E.A.R. - Flawless, one of the scariest games I've ever played
    Enemy Territory - 16xAA & 32xAF made this game reborn
    X3: Reunion - Simply beautiful, I have the X series by Egosoft all the way back from 1999's X: Beyond the Frontier
    TOCA Race Driver 3 - Better than Gran Turismo 4

The world was my oyster, but then it happend....I felt empty, no abount of eye candy could conceal it, and that's when I realised that gaming wasn't good anymore, I had grown up, I had moved on in life. My only reason was 'cos i had the slow PC, I felt that I had to get a better one, since being in the slow lane wasn't for me, but when it happend, that was it.....it came and gone like a flash.

So I pack my bags and sell all the equipment on eBay. It was a hard expensive lesson but a fair one at that.

5th April 2006

The date that changed everything, BootCamp, the thing that could make it happen.

The simplicity of Apple OSX with the compatability of Windows XP. I had to get a Mac, not just an Mac.....an iMac with the new Intel Core Duo's.

So I bided my time and saved, until I had £2,000($3,600) and when that time came it was the start of May. During the time of saving I done what i usually do when I get into a new thing....i researched, and researched. By the time I phoned Apple I felt like an Apple savvy guru, and then I phoned them, and gave them a large amount of my cash.....a VERY large amount. I wanted the best deal the best machine and the coolest gear, and here's what I got:

iMac 20-inch - 2.0GHz Core Duo - 2 GB DDR2 RAM - 256 MB X1600 GFX Card - 250GB Hard Drive
    Black iPod nano 4GB
    M-Audio Kaystation 49e

I was on a spending spree, I was like a kid in a sweetie shop, and the Apple rep on the other line must of been drooling at the thought of the comission he'll be getting, so it's all smiles!

That was on 1st May, and come 17th May i took the day off to greet the arrival of white polycarbonate plastic!

It was some sight (I'll need to upload screenshots of my setup)

BUT!

To keep a mammoth story long, i had the iMac for a week, until I got a new one. The 1st one's SuperDrive died on me and the screen gave a 60Hz flicker from a CRT look when it was brought out of sleep, and it was weird, for 3 days I had 2 iMacs under the one roof! Drool away ;)

Now onto present day, I'm making music, listening to music, and taking pictures, and everything works flawlessly, and the only reason i got an iMac isn't the reason anymore.....

I have never installed BootCamp

Nice to be here, and.....HELLO!:D

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Holy cow that was a long read! :)

Welcome to the forums! You'll like it here.

3. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Wow that was a really enjoyable read, glad to see u are having a good time with ur new computer.
    Welcome to the forums..

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Heh, it's sound skind a like my story 4 years ago... I used to HATE Macs. HATE them. Well, mainly cos OS9 sucked. But then I got my PM G4 with 10.1....

But I'm glad you love your new machine. It's always nice to get something that fits your needs so perfectly.

Welcome aboard!

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Wow my eyes need some rest after a post that long:D . That is an awesome computer.

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Sounds like my story too....

I saved, and saved, and researched....and then went nuts and bought a G5 PM, 17 inch display, Pro Tools Mbox (which sucked and I sold it) and a M-audio Oxygen 8, and Reason 2.5.....

Good times, good times.....

I would like to play video games sometimes too, but making music on the Mac is my new Video game, and it's much more rewarding....don't you think?